PDA

View Full Version : cribs with formaldehyde?

DrSally
05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Just saw a quick blurb on MSNBC about cribs that have been shown to release formaldehyde. Brands they mentioned were Child Craft and Delta (which we have). Has anyone heard anything else?

ThreeofUs
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Check out the report, from Environment California:

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/newsroom/environmental-health/environmental-health/new-report-formaldehyde-from-baby-nursery-furniture-contaminates-indoor-air

ETA: For those of us interested in decay rates of formaldehyde emission, here is a source:
Long-term study of formaldehyde emission decay from particleboard
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/la.maison.empoisonnee/pollution.sante.zinn.htm
1. Formaldehyde emission levels from particleboard can be expected to
decrease over time.

2. The rate at which emission levels decrease is not constant, but
diminishes with time. On average, the 16 samples in this study
decreased from their initial emission levels by 25 percent in just-38
days. Fourteen samples, tested long enough to reach a half life, took
an average of 216 days to reach the 50 percent emission level.

3. Rate of decay is exponential (linear wrt the log of time)

DrSally
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Thank you. That's not the Delta crib we have, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also had high formaldehyde. Maybe I would be better off buying a real wood crib for the next one, rather than a cheap crib? Hard to know what to do. Maybe I should hang spider plant high in the nursery to absorb the formaldehyde that might be released?

ThreeofUs
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
That was my question! We have some bookshelves in the nursery that have pressed wood in them. I posted the rate of outgas in my original email, but we're both probably past any problem.

If anything, make sure the nursery has a lot of ventilation. More ventilation = less chance of formaldehyde collecting into concentrations that could cause problems.

DrSally
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Good info. I assumed that the release of gasses would decrease over time. We bought our crib several months before DS was born, so I guess that helps.