PDA

View Full Version : Have had it w my Moronic LL

kellyd
05-06-2008, 05:04 PM
ok, I'm completely stressing out! I am due w/ this baby in 64 days! It's our first, in December the LL said he was going to gut the room and remodel it so we have a nice new nursery for the LO. This was NEVER something that we wanted him to do. We both know that the LL is more apt to leave things 1/2 finished than to actually see a job through from start to finish.

He started construction the FIRST week of January - Tore down all the walls
In MARCH he put in some insulation
Now here we are at the beginning of May... he is supposedly on vacation from Thursday of this week till Thursday of next week so that he can get it done... but he needs help from DH (he's an old friend of dh's who I told dh today that he will never EVER be permitted to have ANY dealings with again once we find a new place to live) He wants to lower the ceiling to 8' so that he can just use 8' pieces of drywall and not have to piece it. He can't do that alone, and conveniently doesn't have ANYONE else able to help him.

DH can help Friday - LL is going to a party...
DH can help for a little big on Sat Morning and Sat evening (he has to supervise a fundraiser at his school from 11:30 - 4 on Saturday)
DH works on Sunday (his second job)
Teaches Monday and Coaches Mon night
Teaches Tuesday and Coaches final game Tuesday night
Teaches Wednesday and we have his LAX banquet on Wed. night
Teaches Thursday and we have a Child Birth class on Thursday night
Teaches Friday and LL should be back to work on Friday... I think! Even if he's not my FIL who is the one who knows how to drywall works on Friday and has plans for Saturday.
Sunday we leave to chaperone 22 of DH's students at the state science meet.
LL is definately back to work on Monday.

How in the heck is the room going to get done! I was bawling on the phone w/ DH this afternoon after I found out the LL wasn't even going to be around when DH could be.

I told him 3 weeks ago that he had a month to make noticable progress and I listed what that meant or we were finding a new place to live... the problem is, we can't find anywhere that accepts pets. So for now we're stuck.

His 2nd option was to have the materials in place to finish the job and we would get our friends to help us. This means NO lowering of the ceiling, simply remounting the electric and slapping up the drywall. If he has the new windows we'll install them. We can't do anything till the last weekend of the month, so even if he doesn't get anything done, I'm still waiting almost a month for baby to have a room.

Please tell me what I did to deserve this?

tnrnchick74
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
HUGS! I'm sorry. I know how strong the urge is to "nest" and have everything done ahead of time & I'm sure you are on the verge of homicide! I would be!

Melanie
05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Okay, this is a new one for me. What's "LL?"

Gena
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing it's the landlord.

gatorsmom
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Okay, this is a new one for me. What's "LL?"
Yeah, me too. I'm guessing that LL means "landlord." But then what is "LO?"

schums
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Little One, I think.

elephantmeg
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
oh hugs. I can't immagine what you are going through. FWIW DD has spent maybe an hour max in her room so far but I totally understand wanting to get it all done before hand. Sending getting done vibes your way!

elizabethkott
05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
(((((Hugs)))))!
What a horrible situation. :(
If "LL" is "landlord", is there any way to threaten to withhold the rent until the work is completed? Betcha the work would get done in record time... :D

kellyd
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Sorry yes, LL is landlord... LO is little one. We thought about withholding payment... the problem with that is our rent includes all utilities... and even tho he shares the house (duplex he lives upstairs) I could see him letting the bills go. I'd rather not be w/o power... water... or hot water.

elizabethkott
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I believe that in most states, it's illegal for landlords to withhold utilities. Perhaps check into that with state housing, and then issue the "warning" that you will withhold rent until the renovations are completed.
Also, was there anything in writing that states that the LL agrees to make improvements? If so, you've got a great leg up on the situation, and a whole bunch of leverage. Even without, are you in a state where verbal contract is binding? I know that in NY it's not, but in many states it *is*. That would be a good thing too! :)

MontrealMum
05-06-2008, 11:20 PM
So very sorry for you, I can't even imagine. Just wanted to second what Liz said...keeping in mind that I live in a place that has extremely specific laws about renters, landlords, and renting in general (we have a rental board) --- could you find out what the situation is in your state/city? You may have some sort of protection/recourse/leverage?

Here, for example, you can go ahead on "necessary repairs" at your own expense, then take the LL to court for the bill. Also, here there are some rights about withholding rent, or part of rent if there is a failure to do certain things - as in, finish repairs. correspondence is generally sent by registered letter, as in "I will do X repair at Y cost, since you didn't do it, but said you would. I'm going to be doing these repairs and seeking recompense unless you'd like to step up?" Also, there are lots of rules about "unfit habitation" (which it sounds like your place is!). Not trying to stress you out further - I know how busy you must be now, but if you can find the time, or even find out by talking to friends what the situation in your city is, I'd do it. Oh, document everything. CYA and all that.

daniele_ut
05-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Lower the ceiling? Has the man never heard of 12' sheets of drywall? That's what they're made for.

I am SO sorry that you have to deal with this while you are obviously busy getting ready for your baby. I hope that he gets his act together and you can have the nursery you want for your baby!

Kungjo
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Awww....that stinks. LL needs to get his act together. You don't need this especially since your LO is due soon. HUGS!

kellyd
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Oh he's heard of 12' drywall... he doesn't want to have to cut a lot... can you say boo flipping hoo!

The main problem is that DH has known this guy for years. So to start any action against him... it's not going to happen. If it's not done by the 24th we're taking over... and I'm deducting any costs we have to incur... including the pizza and beer we'll be paying our worker friends from the rent.

karstmama
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
i don't know anything about the legalities, but i'd say send him a registered letter with the history of the (non)renovations (like the timeline from the first post, just the facts) and the plan you outlined & then put it into action, since he's sorta a friend. that way if he starts the court thing, you'd have a bit of proof you tried to work with him and had to take matters into your own hands because of imminent birth.