PDA

View Full Version : looking to go a cheaper route with disposables?

Melarina
05-06-2008, 07:36 PM
We've been doing the Pampers thing; however, I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive way to go instead that will have reasonable results. Should I try White Cloud? CVS? Target? Kirkland? something else? TIA!

KBecks
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM
We started with Huggies and then I went to White Cloud and Target diapers. They have both been good and quite a savings.

egoldber
05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I had a bad experience with the Target diapers (lots of tabs that pulled off) but I was very happy with the CVS brand ones.

Emmas Mom
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
My all time favorite are the Target brand. We've had a few where the tabs pull off so I know what Beth is talking about, but only a handful in all the time we've used them. White Cloud is good too but I don't like the gel...it seems to get all over DD. It doesn't hurt her in any way but definitely messier. Target is the cheapest I've found by far too. Kirkland is "ok" but not much cheaper at all, so we never buy them though I am at Costco once or twice a week.

Joolsplus2
05-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Loved Targets..the tabs did pull off one batch, but overall I still loved them.

egoldber
05-07-2008, 09:15 AM
CVS often has BOGO on their diapers also. My problem is I HATE shopping at CVS LOL! My local stores really irritate me.

At my Costco the Kirkland diapers are not any cheaper than the Huggies on a cost per diaper basis, which has always been a puzzle to me.

Neatfreak
05-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I pretty much agree about the Kirkland ones. If they would put more in the boxes, it would be different, but meh ...

rgors
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Target for this house!

westgre
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I used to use the CVS Supremes a lot, especially when they had BOGO, but recently they have changed their design and I don't like them as much. My favorite generics are Parent's Choice from WalMart. They have nice stretchy side tabs and elastic across the top of both the front and back of the diaper. I like them equally well as Huggies. I've never been able to use Pampers on my kids due to rash issues, though, so I'm not sure about how Parent's Choice fits compared to Pampers.

vonfirmath
05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Target Brand and Luvs. (lately Luvs have been cheaper around here)

We LOVED Target before but now that he is 9 months old and size 3, they don't seem to handle overnights without leaking.
We use Target during the day and Luvs for all-night when Target is cheaper, and Luvs all the time when Luvs are cheaper. And that works beautifully

toothfairy
05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I ditto a PP about the new design CVS diapers. We use whatever brand is on sale and use coupons, generally. I recently tried the CVS brand diapers with the Cailou characters on them and did not like them at all. So I can't necessarily recommend a store brand, just give my 2 cents on one that we didn't care for.

Amy

codex57
05-08-2008, 07:28 AM
We've tried Target, Huggies, Long's, and a couple of other store brands where I don't know which store they came from. I think they're all the same. It depends on your kid, but they all can work fine. Worked fine for DS.

Nothing compares to Pampers Swaddlers. We can use the other brands, but Swaddlers are so much softer and DS' skin is still so soft and delicate that we don't want to use anything else. DS is gonna outgrow them fairly soon it seems. Luckily, his diaper use has gone waaaaayyy down so our major expense is now formula.

elephantmeg
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I like costco better than huggies though-something about the scent?

o_mom
05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
We mainly use Sam's Club brand. Target's OK, but they run smaller than Sam's IME. I have never noticed a bit of difference with Huggies, Pampers, etc. They all pale in comparison to cloth ;)

hellokitty
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Sam's Club's Members Mark brand has always worked well for us. I'm bummed though that they got rid of the member's mark version of pull ups, now sam's club only has the huggies version. BRU's brand, back when my kids were newborns were awful (maybe they've changed). They had a sticky strip that was kind of stiff, instead of velcro and one time it dug into my son's waist so much (when he sat up), I did not realize it and by then it was like a deep scratch. He still has a scar from it on his belly. :( I returned the rest of the box to BRU (it was still a pretty new box) and told them what happened, they refunded me back my $.

August Mom
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Luvs are manufactured by P&G (who also make Pampers) and I found the fit to be the same. So, if Pampers work well, Luvs probably will too. Luvs coupons are not as common as Pampers though, FWIW. I never had much luck with the other brands. It seemed like we always had leaking issues if we went with something other than Pampers or Luvs.

daniele_ut
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
At my Costco the Kirkland diapers are not any cheaper than the Huggies on a cost per diaper basis, which has always been a puzzle to me.

The Kirkland diapers (made by Kimberly-Clark, which makes Huggies) are the same as Huggies Supreme diapers which cost more per diaper than the Huggies Baby Shaped they carry at Costco. The size 4s we buy for Logan are $0.18 a diaper. Looking at diapers.com Size 4 Huggies Supreme cost $0.33 each. I'm sure you could get them for less with sales and coupons, but it's just easier for me to buy them at Costco and not worry about coupons and stalking sales.

The size 1-2 we buy for dd are only $0.10 per diaper while the Swaddlers we bought at first were $0.18 per diaper at BRU without coupons.

When ds was younger we used White Cloud religiously, but they have changed to White Cloud Supremes and are more expensive.

egoldber
05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I prefer the cheaper Huggies anyway, so it all works out for me. :)

jellytalk23
05-13-2008, 09:55 PM
sorry but what is BOGO?

we like the Target diapers, only a few tabs pulled off. :)

egoldber
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
BOGO = buy one get one free

kijip
05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Ordering online can save money too. I use 1800diapers.com for my work (buy A LOT of dipes for work) and it is cheaper than the local stores generally, especially with an online coupon or code if you can find one. You can get Luvs and other less expensive brands online at various places.

lizajane
05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
we were a cloth family, but used white cloud for preschool. we were very happy with them and they didn't have that icky chemical mixed with pee smell. my mom buys then for my nephew (he goes to her house twice/week) and they have worked great for him, too.

target dipes give my Godson a rash. worth mentioning, i think, even though it is a very specific reaction for one kid.

emilys_mom
06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Luvs are manufactured by P&G (who also make Pampers) and I found the fit to be the same. So, if Pampers work well, Luvs probably will too. Luvs coupons are not as common as Pampers though, FWIW. I never had much luck with the other brands. It seemed like we always had leaking issues if we went with something other than Pampers or Luvs.

Did Luv's ever get rid of the scent? With DD#1 they worked well for leaks, but the heavy fragrance irritated her skin.