PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a Marathon on a plane?

keschy
05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
We are taking a trip with our britax marathon soon and I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry it through the ariport etc. It seems like there are 3 options. If anyone has used these please let me know what they are like to use in real life. Thanks so much!

travelmate- too hard to take the seat off for xray and installation?

travelling toddler(attach the seat to a rolling carry on bag)-easy to use?

backpack straps- can you install the seat with these attached? Also is it uncomfortable carrying the seat on your back?

lorinick
05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
I can't remember what it was called. It was on wheels and we let out son sit in as we wheeled it through the airport. We bought it at BRU, It was very easy to use.

supercalifragilous
05-07-2008, 12:20 AM
We've traveled with our MA (and now our SG) with both the GoGoBabyZ (it was called something else at the time) and Traveling Toddler. DD sat in the carseat as a stroller for either one. The GoGoBabyZ doesn't fit the SG so we've only used the Traveling Toddler for that one.

I like the Traveling Toddler much more b/c it combines the carry-on and the carseat. With the GoGoBabyZ, we had to wheel the carseat with DD in it, plus wheel our carry-on. Either way, we had to dismantle it @ security and I find the Traveling Toddler much easier. The Traveling Toddler just kills 2 birds with 1 stone, basically.

In fact, on one trip, we forgot the GoGoBabyZ wheels at my mom's house and didn't realize it until we got to the airport. It's easy to forget unless you leave it in the trunk. The Traveling Toddler packed away in the cover pouch or stayed on the LATCH/tether strap or DH just put it in the carry-on and we've never forgotten it.

mom2binsd
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a carseat bag that was only 24.99 it has wheels and easily fits my MA...with extra room to put bulky items like coats etc...just remove the seat from the bag and stuff the bag in the overhead compartment...so easy...I can't imagine putting the MA on my back...I'm short and it would be way too heavy IMO but I know others have done it...I just love the convenience of the wheeled bag and the extra storage is great.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
GoGoKidz is what we used with the Marathon once we were no longer taking a stroller on trips.

eliotsmommy
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
How about this?

http://www.albeebaby.com/jl-childress-ultimate-car-seat-carrier.html

Reviewers have mentioned that it is roomy enough to hold coats, blankets, etc. too. AND it has the added advantage of being able to protect your car seat, should you end up gate-checking it. It has double zippers so that you can put a lock on it, and it also has an ID card slot.

mom2binsd
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd get the model with wheels...unless you're really strong...can not imagine putting the MA on my back...as well...I've been able to hook my carseat bag on wheels up to my stoller handle (used a small bungy cord) and then the carseat rolled behind and off to the side...so easy and no back pain. The fabric looks like a lot better quality than the one I have...but mine cheapy one has lasted through many flights so I won't complain...and yes the extra space is wonderful all kinds of bulky items (and the airlines won't charge you for it!)

kijip
05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
There is also the option of putting it onto of the stroller or attaching it to a suitcase that rolls. We have travelled a lot with a Wizard (sam size as MA) and have never invested in a separate gadget. Or checking everything else but tiny carry ons and just carrying the thing through security (works only if traveling with 2 adults IME).

I have wedged the Wizard onto a Zooper stroller and a Maclaren Techno with good success.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
We have the wheeled bags for both carseats. Hiding extra stuff in there really helps out if you over-shop at the outlets before coming home. It also works to store a breast pump if you travel with one or bulky coats.

This past trip, we realized the need for the back-pack style because we were trying to get (quickly) from the car to the ticket counter with several rolling suitcases, a rolling double stroller, and 2 rolling carseats. We didn't have enough hands to pull things. If one of us had been wearing a seat on our backs, we would've had enough hands to get there efficiently.

keschy
05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks so much for all the replies! I think I will look for something with wheels and hopefully I can find something cheaper than the travelmate since we don't travel oftn.

amandabea
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
we just traveled yesterday with our marathon. I didn't have time to order the traveling toddler straps, so I "thought" I would just use a bungie cord, but of course we didn't have one. So DH started off by carrying it and I thought that seemed silly, so I sort of propped it on top of the rolling suitcase (carry-on size) and clipped the chest clip around the handle (just below the handle part) and we rolled everything together. It was great, the suitcase could still stand on it's own and DH was even able to roll it down the aisle of the plane that way. The only drawback was DD couldn't ride in it, but I knew she wouldn't anyway, so I used one of my carriers. I might invest in the traveling toddler straps at some point, but only if we plan more trips.
HTH!

melonkelli
05-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I just have a cheap large duffle bag from Target. I don't have a Marathon, but I was able to fit a Roundabout and a Cosco Scenera into the bag at the same time!

I just carried the bag across my body using the shoulder strap (with one carseat in it). Worked for me!

801kelle
05-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I take my stroller. Put carseat on stroller seat and have front part of base of Marathon sitting on stroller tray. Easy to take off and put through security xray. Then get through security put carseat on top of stroller again put bags in basket and away we go. Then gate check stroller and go on plane with marathon. I have been doing for 4.5 yrs! Works well for me!