PDA

View Full Version : How to clean harness straps?

Kendra
05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
We pulled the infant seat out of storage (ie downstairs closet) and the straps have MILDEW! EW! The manual says not to immerse in water, and I assume of course no bleach, so what would be the best way to clean the straps?? My sister suggested ammonia but I'm not keen on that; my mom suggested laundry or dish detergent...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Kendra

Joolsplus2
05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
With mildew, I'd replace them. The acids that mildew produces could have weakened them worse than the stains look, know what I mean? Bleach is the only thing that really gets rid of mildew, and it's definitely the one thing you should neve use on straps... so sort of a catch 22! Shouldn't cost too much to get a nice new set of straps :)

Kendra
05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks Julie:
Anywhere other than GracoBaby.com that I could be looking? They're $13 plus another $5 shipping there. I saw a couple on ebay but I wouldn't trust them.

whome?
05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
With mildew, I'd replace them. The acids that mildew produces could have weakened them worse than the stains look, know what I mean? Bleach is the only thing that really gets rid of mildew, and it's definitely the one thing you should neve use on straps... so sort of a catch 22! Shouldn't cost too much to get a nice new set of straps :)

Hey, does anyone know if baby spit-up has stomach acid in it that weakens the straps? My baby spit-up and I wiped the straps of his MA off with a damp cloth. What should I have done to clean them?

WatchingThemGrow
05-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I wish mine had just spit up on the straps. Instead, she barfed her guts out 3 hours before we reached the g'parents house. We removed the straps from the seat and soaked them in warm water and detergent to loosen the gunk. After a soak in water to rinse them, they were good as new.

In fact, I'm doing the same thing to the Prima Pappa right now. DS shouldn't have to live with grime left behind by older sister!

Oh, if the straps can't be removed (the waistbelt on the highchair), I set up a container of some sort filled with soapy water and let them soak while remaining attached.

bubbaray
05-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I've done the same thing with vomit. Britax says to only sponge clean with plain water. I just can't believe that stomach acid is better for the harness than mild soap. Besides, you still gotta drive around with the seat in your vehicle. Barf + hot summer sun, not a good combo....

WatchingThemGrow
05-12-2008, 08:10 AM
If the MA manual said only water, then that's what we did. I used detergent on the high chair straps, though. Couldn't imagine the hot sun factor -yuk!