PDA

View Full Version : Switch out of Regent & into Frontier?

postmodernmommy
05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone,
I know threads like this have been posted before but everyone's situation is a little different.

DD just turned 6, 44.5 inches (with a long torso) 49 lbs. She's been in her Regents for 3 years. She is on the harness slot below the last one on top with room to grow). I would like to keep her harnessed as long as possible. We have a long list of other seats we own & use for different scenarios, but the new Frontier would be her primary seat.

We have two older cars- a '99 Camry (w/tether installed in center aftermarket) and a '00 Echo (came w/tethers). A Regent in each. LATCH isn't a factor. BUT, side impact protection is. I'm worried about her lack of SIP in the Regent. It's such a wide seat (which she loves for sitting with her legs crossed) but I worry in a crash there is nowhere for the head to go. Is this worry a valid one? I know the 5pt harness will help protect her but with no side curtain airbags on either car I'm a bit paranoid about this issue. She rides 75% of the time in the Echo.

I'm wanting some opinions about whether I should invest in one Frontier or not. What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!
Amy :)

PS Forgot to mention the whole belt path installation and recline bar mess that I'm still struggling with on the Regent. Has anyone installed a Frontier with a seat belt and how could the installation be compared to Regent? Easier? Harder?

Joolsplus2
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I think the Regent has fine SIP... it's got nice deep sides and it's lined with foam (isn't it? If it's not, that's because there is some energy management property that's good for head protection, so same thing, really).

But I'd certainly look at the Frontier...the installation is reportedly very solid with the long belt path, the seat seems to have ample room for criss cross applesauce, and it'll become a really great booster seat later...

I'd just keep an eye out for it in your local stores to see if you think it'll be a good choice for you :)

wendmatt
05-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I can't help much, I have a regent in my Echo and I just moved from the long belt path to short belt path as DD hit 40lbs and it doesn't give such a good solid install in the center. I really like the look of the frontier too but I think the Regent is very safe, so I don't know either. Although it's kind of irrelevant for me coz I haven't been able to sell the regent to make it OK to get the frontier! If money were no option, I'd get a pink frontier because I think it looks so nice and becomes a booster too.