PDA

View Full Version : Lovenox vs. Heparin

Glizmo
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I had a DVT last November and have been on 2 shots of Lovenox a day since then.

2 weeks ago we switched over to heparin twice a day, due to it's shorter half life, better for going into labor, etc etc.

Now however, because of the heparin recalls, we can't get more heparin shipped to us until we can prove prior history (which I obviously have), and even then it won't ship for another 10 days. Which could be pointless, b/c I only need the heparin until labor starts and that might happen in the next 10 days!

So... I have a team of doctors figuring out the best course but currently they're looking at putting me back on the Lovenox.

Any BTDT experience with being on Lovenox for the entire pregnancy? What are the risks with staying on that vs the heparin?

Thanks!!!

katydid1971
05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I just got done doing what your are currently doing (now I'm on the coumadin--YEA!!! no more shots). The big issue isn't being on the Lovenox is bad for the baby, its not being able to get an epidural or a c-secton if you need them during delivery. Can your doctor schedule an induction, your in the safe zone now, and have you stop taking the lovenox now and have you come in in two days or something like that? Congratulations on going through a pregnancy taking those shots, I think moms like us deserve an extra pat on the back for going the extra mile!!!! Just think any day now you'll get to hold the wonderful result of all your pain and stress these many months, it is sooo worth it!!!! Good luck, I hope you can find a good solution to your problem. :)

Glizmo
05-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks Sarah! I was planning on trying to avoid an epidural anyway, but an emergency c-section isn't something I can control. The doctors made such a big deal about switching to heparin that it scares me to be put back on the lovenox. I'm going to call them again this afternoon and will bring up the question of induction - it does seem to be a way to avoid the whole drug issue!

Congrats to you on your baby - and on no more shots!!! I'm definitely looking forward to both of those!! :)

jd11365
05-08-2008, 07:04 AM
I was on Lovenox for my first trimester with no ill-effects at all. As PP said, it's an issue with epidural later on, and all that means is stopping short of your due date, which by then, you'll be cooked enough to do. Outside of having to take a daily shot, I'd recommend the Lovenox.