PDA

View Full Version : Why is Britax so good?

Leslie08
05-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Everyone on this post seems to favor Britax seats over all seats. Why is Britax soooo good? Is it the construction and materials of the seat itself?
Thanks, Leslie

Joolsplus2
05-08-2008, 08:52 AM
They ride on their reputation a lot (they used to be *miles* better than every other seat).. but they still have a few features that make them worthy of the hype: Rearfacing tethering makes them safer for bigger RF kids, built in lockoffs make them easier to install with seatbelts, nicer LATCH clips makes them nicer to install with LATCH, a V-shaped tether that is probably more stable in a wider variety of crashes, the harness and covers are durable and easy to replace, and they install easily in the vast majority of cars.

They used to have the highest weight limits and tallest top slots and least twisty harnesses and were one of the only seats with EPS foam, but now other makers are catching up (I use a Sunshine Kids Radian because it has EPS foam, non twist straps, and can be top tethered rearfacing...no Britax snobbery here ;))

The Evenflo's fine, as long as the adjustment knobs don't cram into your vehicle seatback (so you can't easily adjust them). The harness can't be replaced...if you have a carsick kid that may be rather unfortunate..it's hard to safely remove barf from harness straps!... And I like the height adjuster slides, but some kids find the tabs rub on their necks :(

codex57
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Primarily design and construction. You can feel the quality of the materials over the cheaper seats. However, the main problem with car seats is parents installing them wrong. Install/use it wrong, and your baby isn't safe. Britax designs the seats so that they are easy to install and use properly. Lots of little things that add up to a great seat. There are some new competitors that are also good, but Britax is the known quantity. Kinda like Medela and its breast pumps.

HannaAddict
05-09-2008, 03:28 AM
And they are Made in the USA by people getting living wages and benefits, versus in China. Combined with all of the other good things posted (safety and quality!), I bite the bullet and pay more for the seat than a cheaper but adequate 'made in china' seat of another brand.

westgre
05-09-2008, 09:14 AM
All of the previous, but my main reason is ease of installation. That alone is worth the difference in price, IMO.

AngelaS
05-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree---super easy to install, the straps don't twist and they're just plush comfy seats. :)

kijip
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Just seconding the made in America thing. And they are just sturdy, easy to use and adjust, well designed and very comfortable for the child IME. Others are catching up, but I like that they did it first and did it well.

codex57
05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Ok ok, I'm a litle bit concerned about these made in China vs made in America complaints. I've got my own concerns with stuff made in China (safety/quality issues and politics), but I'm not quite sure this living wage stuff is completely accurate.

Are there some links that show things are that much worse in China than here? One thing to remember is that places like China and other really poor countries are that cost of living is REALLY cheap. Especially outside of the big cities. $1 an hour may seem nothing here, but it could be decent over there. Especially if the alternative is no job at all, which explains why swarms of Chinese travel from the countryside into the cities for these "horrible" factory jobs. I've been there and talked to some of those people. It's why illegal immigrants here can still afford to send money back home. Conversely, minimum wage here in America isn't exactly a "living wage" in many places. Plus, just cuz something is made in America doesn't mean it's made by people even getting minimum wage. I'm from LA. So, I'm very familiar with the sweatshops operating out of there that pay wages that are similar to what some people get in 3rd world countries.

Joolsplus2
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Britax has a lovely factory in NC (I've been there, I'd work there...lol)... Most Evenflos and Gracos are made in the US. Most Recaros are made in China, and so are Sunshine Kids.... most covers of all of them are made in Mexico, I think the harnesses are made in China now...

Anyway, even if seats or parts are made in China, we know that kids probably aren't chewing on them and ingesting lead (the anti flammability stuff that's fairly toxic? our government's to blame for ruling it's necessary, sigh...)

HannaAddict
05-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Ok ok, I'm a litle bit concerned about these made in China vs made in America complaints. I've got my own concerns with stuff made in China (safety/quality issues and politics), but I'm not quite sure this living wage stuff is completely accurate.

Are there some links that show things are that much worse in China than here? One thing to remember is that places like China and other really poor countries are that cost of living is REALLY cheap. Especially outside of the big cities. $1 an hour may seem nothing here, but it could be decent over there. Especially if the alternative is no job at all, which explains why swarms of Chinese travel from the countryside into the cities for these "horrible" factory jobs. I've been there and talked to some of those people. It's why illegal immigrants here can still afford to send money back home. Conversely, minimum wage here in America isn't exactly a "living wage" in many places. Plus, just cuz something is made in America doesn't mean it's made by people even getting minimum wage. I'm from LA. So, I'm very familiar with the sweatshops operating out of there that pay wages that are similar to what some people get in 3rd world countries.

Yes, things really are worse in China. Not sure what links you need . . . Of course, things are not perfect here but at least there is an election coming up and maybe some changes. :) I agree that minimum wages here in the US should be much higher and do not provide a living wage for a full time worker, but Britax pays more than minimum and offers health insurance. I want to support decent jobs in the USA and not a race to the bottom so that I can buy more consumer goods than I need at cheap, made overseas prices. (I am not saying that car seats are unnecessary consumer goods.) Britax has an actual factory and not a sweatshop staffed by illegals being taken advantage of here in the US by their employer.

Neatfreak
05-10-2008, 12:13 AM
The ability to purchase extra covers and replacement harnesses from Britax is a nice plus, to be sure.

codex57
05-10-2008, 01:17 AM
but Britax pays more than minimum and offers health insurance. I want to support decent jobs in the USA and not a race to the bottom so that I can buy more consumer goods than I need at cheap, made overseas prices. Britax has an actual factory and not a sweatshop staffed by illegals being taken advantage of here in the US by their employer.

That's good. Not all companies pay properly or offer health insurance anymore. Especially health insurance.

ellies mom
05-10-2008, 03:35 AM
It isn't just that they are so easy to install (which they are) but the LATCH connectors are easier to disconnect than some of the other seats which makes them easier to move from car to car as well. I have friends that won't use the lower anchors on their seats because they got so tired of having to struggle to undo the connectors every time they want to move the seat for travel or what not.

Joolsplus2
05-10-2008, 08:00 AM
It isn't just that they are so easy to install (which they are) but the LATCH connectors are easier to disconnect than some of the other seats which makes them easier to move from car to car as well. I have friends that won't use the lower anchors on their seats because they got so tired of having to struggle to undo the connectors every time they want to move the seat for travel or what not.
Yeah, good point... there are people who won't use LATCH for fear of ruining their manicures.... And much worse, the people who can't even figure out how to get the seats out of the car at all!!!

whome?
05-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Britax has a lovely factory in NC (I've been there, I'd work there...lol)... Most Evenflos and Gracos are made in the US. Most Recaros are made in China, and so are Sunshine Kids.... most covers of all of them are made in Mexico, I think the harnesses are made in China now...

Anyway, even if seats or parts are made in China, we know that kids probably aren't chewing on them and ingesting lead (the anti flammability stuff that's fairly toxic? our government's to blame for ruling it's necessary, sigh...)

UH-oh-I didn't know the straps and buckles have lead in them. My infant son has several times reached down and managed to grab the adjuster strap on his Marathon and chewed on it. Is this strap coated with some anti-flammable product that is toxic?:eek:

Joolsplus2
05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't know what the anti-flammable stuff is, but it's saturating all seats (and all new cars)... there've been some articles on toxic seats (basically? air them out a little before you use them is all you can do)...don't worry, a little chewing on straps won't hurt a baby :)

Neatfreak
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I've never used LATCH to install a MA, and it's not because of any manicure. The seat is just so quick and easy to do with a vehicle belt, and there are no weight limits applicable to use of of the vehicle belt. Maybe LATCH is quickier and easier, but I've never felt the need to find out.

I don't read Julie's post above as "hey, the straps and buckles on made-in-China seats are laden with lead". Was that how it was meant to be taken?

GeekLady
05-12-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't know what the anti-flammable stuff is, but it's saturating all seats (and all new cars)... there've been some articles on toxic seats (basically? air them out a little before you use them is all you can do)...don't worry, a little chewing on straps won't hurt a baby :)

I presume you mean brominated flame retardants? Lead is used in automotive plastic, but not in flame retardancy, to my knowledge.

Joolsplus2
05-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I think someone else assumed I meant lead was in the straps, but I didn't. So THAT's what those funky chemicals are called...good to know ;)

801kelle
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Okay I am sure you have accessed the britax website about their quality and standards.. but here is a great link off the britax website:

http://www.britaxusa.com/about/Default.aspx