PDA

View Full Version : 16 mo potty training? Can it happen?!

LarsMal
05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
We are starting the PT process with DS (3 this Aug.). DD (16 mos) wants to do everything big brother does. Now when he goes potty she comes in the bathroom, starts tugging at her pants/diaper saying "Pah-yee, pah-yee". So I went ahead and put her on so she could have a turn. She peed right away!!!

I thought it was a fluke, but she's done it three times now. And she really goes, and right away, too, not like DS who has to sit for a while.

So should I actually try to PT her, or just let her have this experience and deal with it more seriously when she gets a little older?

Thanks!

mommyoftwo
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I say absolutely go for it. If she loses interest than re-evaluate but definitely don't let the oppotunity go. My best friend's daughter was PT'd at about 19 months. Linnea was done at 22 months. People kept telling me she was too young and I would have to do too much for her to make it worth while. I'm SO glad I didn't listen because she has done just fine and even wakes up dry most nights. My biggest problem is that she will go potty (including poop) without saying anything and doesn't wipe herself. I would much rather deal with occasionally dirty underwear than have to change diapers.

jjordan
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Absolutely go for it. Check out the books "Early Potty Training" and "Diaper Free Before Three" and you'll see it is very possible!

Jill

JBaxter
05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
my niece started at 18 months and finished at 20 months. Yes it is possible.

megs4413
05-08-2008, 02:45 PM
go for it! I wish I'd done it! DD was totally ready at 18mos, but i convinced myself that it was too early and that I shouldn't train while we were expecting another one and lo and behold it's meant disaster for us PT-wise as DD is 3 now and still not fully trained (she won't go #2). if i had to do it over again, i would have gone with her and done it when SHE wanted to.

BeachBum
05-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I would absolutely go with it! To me this is "following her lead". I think it may take a little longer for your DD to be consistent than an older child, but you take away so much of the battle of the wills at the early age. DS was trained at 22 months, so not particularly early--but I do think you have to be a bit more tolerant than with an older kiddo.

jacksmomtobe
05-08-2008, 08:05 PM
A friend told me that their Ped said there is a window around 18 months were children often want to potty train. My DD is 21 months and also is showing interest. She's gone on the potty both pee & poop a few times. One morning she said "I go to the bathroom" and headed into the bathroom. It was a bit strange since she doesn't say a ton of words (though she understands a lot and is picking up her pace there). She often says potty right after going or while in the process so she clearly has an awareness. She is also a 2nd child. A few of my son's friends younger siblings have also trained early. Meanwhile Ds day trained at 3 1/2 after starting school and then night trained a few months later both at his own request to just wear underwear. I would follow her lead as they say and be prepared that interest may wane. With my DD I'm not sure I"m ready for the public potty for a girl but it certainly would be nice to be done buying diapers.
Good Luck!!