PDA

View Full Version : need first bike recc's

clc053103
05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi, I am a total novice at this, and with DS's 3rd b day around the corner, I would love to get him a nice bike.

First off, the stats. He's a big boy- about 40 inches tall, 40 lbs. He has a kettler which he "sometimes" peddles while I use the push bar.

My questions:
what size bike?
Training wheels,
Or balance bike to start?
Recommendations for either?

I see other parents around here starting with a training wheels bike, then going balance bike- and the Trek Float looks like it would be great when he was bigger/older, but I am not sure which way to go at this age and size.

TIA!

kcimato
05-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I just ordered my grandson a Strider balance bike for his 3rd birthday coming up in June. I saw it IRL at a local bike shop and it is well made and even has a place for them to put their feet as they coast. He just recently learned how to pedal his Kettler trike. He is about 38 inches and this will be perfect. I got it through

www.bitterbrushcycles.com As you go through the checkout there is a code for 10% off. Grand total was $88.46. The local bike shop wanted $120!

There are a few recent threads on balance bikes you could check out.

check them out at www.stridersports.com

Joolsplus2
05-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm hoping to skip the training wheels altogether for this kiddo... so we have a trike and a balance bike...both of which even my 8 yo dd will steal and happily ride :ROTFLMAO:. I figure we'll skip the 12 inch with trainers bike and go to a 16 inch without them, once she's been on the balance bike for a couple years.

:)

clc053103
05-15-2008, 08:13 AM
thank you for the info!

For some reason balance bikes don't seem to be popular around here (Phila area). Can't find a B&M store with them. A local bike shop owner actually said he considers them to be dangerous (?), along with scooters.

But- heck I've bought plenty of unseen items online based on BBB recc's, and I'm always pleased with the purchase! Thanks again!

brittone2
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
We got DS his balance bike for his 3rd bday. It has been an awesome experience watching him learn and progress w/ it. DH was skeptical at first, but then read an article in one of his cycling magazines and that got him intrigued.

We bought DS a Puky from gliderrider but I think they now have their own line of bikes (I don't think they sell the Puky) and their customer service has been spotty at best.

Like a Bike, Strider, Puky (can buy from Europe, several mamas here have posted their contacts abroad and said the experience was quite smooth), etc. all make balance bikes.

DS is now 4, and still riding his Puky. He's just at the borderline for a 16 inch bike, and we're debating whether to move directly to a 16 in. pedal bike this winter (would be a Christmas or 5th bday present for him) or to go with the Trek Float, which has pedals that can be added on/removed (but is a little on the larger side, so he may or may not fit it this winter).

DS had one crash on his Puky that scuffed his hands and knees a bit (mostly because he got going so fast and slowed down using his feet, which made him wobble and crash) but that's been our only accident (and IMO that can happen on any bike). He is quite conservative but learned to "glide" on the thing within a month or so of having his bike at age 3. The other kids in the neighbhorhood, including the big kids (middle schoolers) are fascinated by it and amazed that he can balance and glide without training wheels. I see the middle school aged neighbhors trying to ride their regular bikes like a balance bike LOL. Everyone loves his little bike.

That's my opinion. I think they are an amazing product and DS rides and enjoys his pretty much daily (and has for over a year now!)

wolverine2
05-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Ooh, I like the look of the Strider (and the price). Do you think it would be too late for a 4-year old? I wanted to get DS something as a step-up from his trike for his 4th b-day, and the Trek looks a bit too big, but I don't want to spend too much for a balance bike if I'm going to buy a Trek a year later. I do have another DS to pass it on to, so that makes the investment a bit better.