PDA

View Full Version : Baby not pooping--help!

eb1
05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
(This should probably go in Butts or Feeding, but I'm really, really anxious for input.)

My exclusively breastfed 5-month-old has not pooped for 11 days. I understand that it's not uncommon for EBF infants to go long stretches, but this seems an extraordinarily long time. However, he does not seem uncomfortable, his belly is soft, and he is passing gas without trouble.

I've tried lots of tummy massages, cycling his legs, warm baths, a rectal thermometer...and no results. Until a few weeks ago, he was pooping daily, always very soft/loose. Then he went every 2-3 days for about a week or two (a voluminous amount, I might add), and then suddenly this long stretch.

The ped's office is recommending we try a glycerin suppository (this advice came from the nurse, not the doctor). I hate the idea of using one for him, but am also anxious for him to go. Does a suppository seem necessary at this point? WWYD?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

JBaxter
05-08-2008, 02:57 PM
you could try to stimulate his rectum with a thermometer. I did that trick with my boys. It gives them the natural urge to push it out 11 days is a long time if that doesnt work I would do the suppository in the next 24hrs

lorinick
05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
My 5mt old son had the same problems at 5 months old. Your doing all the right things. But my doctor did suggest the suppository and it worked in about 15 mins. I had to do it two different times after 7-10 without a BM. I would try the suppository you have tryed eveything else. It worked for me and son felt better right away.

elephantmeg
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
you can try the thermometer several times in a row (after each diaper change). I think the suppository is a fine idea too.

megs4413
05-08-2008, 03:52 PM
i'd go ahead and try the glycerin suppository.

VClute
05-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Just for the sake of convenience, I'd do the rectal stim with the thermometer. I don't think there's a problem, but because it's probably going to be a LOT of poo, you may want to get it out of the way to avoid the inevitable blow-out in public. :)

eb1
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I have tried the rectal thermometer three times already--once per day, but maybe I should try it as someone recommended after each diaper change?

Tondi G
05-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Prune Juice? 1 oz of juice to 2 oz of water... maybe that with the rectal stim would do the trick!

I used a liquid glycerin suppository once on my 1st DS and it was made buy FLEET... called Babylax.

TahliasMom
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I would also log your diet. Too much sodium, etc might be affecting your BM. Just a thought.

o_mom
05-08-2008, 05:47 PM
It really is fine for them to go this long. :) It is the efficiency of BM combined with the more mature milk (colostrum is completely gone). I know it seems like a long time, but as you said he is happy, not in pain and the belly is soft.

You can find more info here: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bf-links-concerns.html#poop

JenaW
05-08-2008, 07:36 PM
eb1 - I PMd you. Please let me know if you did not get it.

Jera

1964pandora
05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi. My EBF son went close to two weeks, and so did his EBF cousin, so I wouldn't do anything so long as he does not seem uncomfortable. I just followed the Kelly mom advice. It'll happen any time now!

Susan