PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for in a diaper bag....?

njmom
05-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I am looking for a diaper bag for a newborn. Are there definite "musts" in terms function in making a selection?

I'm looking for something fairly lightweight, with lots of pockets (and no crazy patterns)-- however, other than that, I'm kind of clueless as to what to look for in a good diaper bag.

Thanks for any feedback!

tnrnchick74
05-08-2008, 09:01 PM
For me its quality - is it going to last more than a few weeks, months. That and a good organization system that makes sense for me: lots of pockets, bottle areas that work with bottles, a way to seperate clean vs dirty stuff, and easy to clean.

I tend to like hip colors/patterns and have found that I like a messenger style (horozontal orientation) bag instead of a vertical one.

hlphillips2
05-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Washability was key for me, and still is. That's especially important if you have an infant who spits up. Outside pockets were also important and still are - I like being able to just grab the essentials like keys or a sippy cup. Something lightweight while unpacked is also very nice, because carrying a baby and a diaper bag can get very heavy very fast.

I personally am glad I didn't spend a lot of money on a first bag. Or rather, my mom didn't spend a lot of money! Now that I know what works for me and what doesn't, I feel better about spending a lot of money on a new bag that I know will work best.

salsah
05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
also consider:

how easily you can get into it (or at least parts of it -- for those frequently needed items) w/ one hand (while you are carrying the baby in the other hand).

if you plan to use a carrier (which i highly recommend), can you carry the bag and the carrier at the same time?

i like something that i can hang on my stroller handle bars.

i am so ultra organized that i thought i wanted lots of pockets, but i found that i actually perfer fewer pockets and a couple of removable pouches -- keeps thing organized and makes it easy to remove things that i don't always need -- depending on where i am going / how long i will be out.

as for size, if your primary mode of transport is a car, then you don't have to carry everything all the time. keep a second fully stocked bag in the car.

hth

wendibird22
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I like mine to have a lot of pockets too and I found that some bags do have a lot of pockets but are constructed in a way that when full practically eliminates the big open space in the center of the bag making it useless (narrow center with pockets all around the inside). So, if you want to have a big compartment along with pockets be sure that the middle section is either pretty wide or that there is a separate larger compartment area. I also like bags that have a place for me to tuck a wallet or put my keys, credit cards, cell phone, etc so that I don't have to lug a purse too. Oh, and I would recommend that you have a bigger bag (for longer outings) and a smaller bag (for quick trips/errands). If I'm just going to the grocery store or to DDs doctor appointment, I grab my small bag with just a diaper or two and a travel pack of wipes.