PDA

View Full Version : Transition to big beds - any advice?

fivi2
05-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi - I think most of you have younger babies, but just asking because we are desperate! My girls (about 2.5) have started climbing out of their cribs. I was worried they'd get hurt so we moved their mattresses to the floor. Which, obviously, is not going well :) But I don't think they'd stay in a bed either. They have to share a room (2 bedroom house and no room in ours). So, how do you get them to sleep? Especially at nap time? Anyone been through this yet?
TIA!

onjbj
07-19-2008, 11:28 AM
My twins are 3 1/2. We just took them out of their cribs about 3 months ago and into toddler beds. They never attempted to get out of their cribs which is why we waited so long to move them to beds. We opted for the toddler beds b/c they were closer to the ground and we thought it would be less overwhelming than a big twin bed. They made the transition beautifully and have not attempted to get out of them in the middle of the night. You just need to be firm with them and tell them that they may not get out of the beds- my kids are pretty amazing in terms of listening and following the rules, so we've been lucky. As with anything, you need to be firm and consistent. If they get out of the beds, put them back in- I would think that eventually they'll get it. It can be frustrating though, esp when you want to get some sleep!! Good luck!

Karin

onjbj
07-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Also, nap time is def harder than bedtime. Mine still stay in their beds, but they talk and play with one another. (also share a room b/c they still want to, at some point we'll split them up) I usually let them chat for 20 minutes or so and then go in and tell them that they need to lay down and be quiet. After a few times, they cave and fall asleep- usually!!

Karin