PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Gift for New MD

mamalia
05-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi, I know there were a couple of threads recently on other professional graduates. But I wondered if anyone had great gift suggestions for a new doctor? She wants to go into pediatrics.

In the recent PT thread there was a gel pen suggestion, any good brand reccs?

Thanks!

DrSally
05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
$$ for a diploma frame. They can be quite expensive. Or something cute for her office for kids to play with. Ours had some cute windchimes hanging from the ceiling.

geochick
05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
My dh is an MD who received tons of trinkets for graduation...including some really fine pens. One he really liked for a while was a Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen. The funny thing is, his all time favorite pen is the Pilot Dr. Grip Gel pen (black in only in medicine). Anyway, he loves that pen and uses it a lot!!! He has several since people borrow it and don't return it. Pens are great...even in a world where medical charts are almost exclusively on the computer now. Dh still writes a ton (but no one can read his writing). You can't go wrong with a pen...expensive or cheap work just as well.

Another thing he received and loves...an amazing, thick, leather briefcase that will last forever. It's so beautiful. He takes it to work every day.

DrSally
05-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I think that's the pen Steven Colbert uses on the Colbert Report. I know someone else who likes that pen, supposedly very comfortable.

Sillygirl
05-09-2008, 07:42 PM
After medical school comes internship, starting usually the last week of June. God, is it gruelling. I am so glad I don't have to do that any more. Anyway, figure that their life is going to be overloaded and horribly busy right after graduation. Gift certificates for spa services, dinner delivery, a cleaning service (depending on how much you're spending) would all be great. Anything you can think of to make life easier during the next year, that requires a minimum of planning on their part. Some months during that year I had to decide if I had time to wash my hair or shave my legs in the shower - couldn't do both.

ThreeofUs
05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I'd second the internship support - even though I have to say the diploma frame gc would be a great idea - because internship is just so difficult.

But if you don't know where she's going to be, that might be hard.

Fun scrubs might also be welcome.

mommyoftwo
05-09-2008, 08:09 PM
When my DH graduated from medical school, I gave him a leather portfolio with his name engraved on a plate with a matching pen. He uses it for his presentations. However, I have to say that internship and residency are unbelievably horrible (especially for surgical residents) so anything you can get to make it easier would be much appreciated. She won't know how much she will need in until she starts though. I second the idea for money towards a diploma frame. They are rediculously expensive and we were not able to afford one when he graduated. His diploma is still sitting in a box somewhere. She is unlikely to be allowed to wear her own scrubs so I wouldn't get scrubs for her.

lubdubdeb
05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
A diploma frame will be nice but she won't have an office anytime in the near future to hang it in. I received a gift for a massage during my internship and it was almost an out of body experience with how tired I was. A GC to a book store would be good, there is lots of reading to do and peds books to own.

Also, a small easily disinfect-able trinket that can be clipped to a belt loop goes a long way toward allowing a 1-yr-old to let you listen to his heart. I have a key chain with a small Target ladybug pocket watch and an hour-glass type wand with colored sand inside, it is invaluable!