PDA

View Full Version : Donation info for the Backus Family (help us reach $3000!)

mommyoftwo
05-09-2008, 12:15 PM
It was requested that I start a new thread with the donation info so people wouldn't have to dig through the other thread.

Please send funded paypal to [email protected].

Send credit card paypal to [email protected]

To send paypal, log into your paypal account and click send money. Enter the address that you are sending the money to and the amount of money you are sending and click on submit. Please enter "Samuel Backus Memorial Fund" in the title and notes section so I know exactly what it is for. Also remember that if you send credit card paypal, fees will be taken out. If you would rather send a check, please PM me and I will give you my address.

For those of you who want more info about Samuel and his family, here is the link to his website.
http://www.samuelbackus.com/SamuelsUpdates.html

If you have any quesitons, please feel free to contact me.

ETA: I will put the current amount donated in this first post and will update it regularly.

Current total: $3166.63

I wanted to add that Jen has specifically requested that people send real cards as opposed to emails. She wants to collect then in a keepsake box. Please consider sending the Backus family a card. Here is their address:

Jen Backus
PO BOX 229
South Prairie, WA 98385

Please do not mention the collection that we are doing or any gifts we have discussed as I would like it to be a surprise. It would be a wonderful gesture though if you would write to let Jen and the family know how Samuel hss touched your lifel.

mama2g03
05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Again, thank you SO much for doing this Jessica. It is really appreciated.

caleymama
05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Again, thank you SO much for doing this Jessica. It is really appreciated.

Yes, thank you for coordinating this, Jessica.

KBecks
05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Can this be pinned for a while and a link to Samuel's web page added?

Thanks.

Twoboos
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
If you have to pay by paypal w/ a Credit Card, Jessica pointed me to this site: http://ppcalc.com/ to figure out what the fees will be.

thanks again for everything Jessica - coordinating all this and helping me w/the Paypal!

mommyoftwo
05-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Can this be pinned for a while and a link to Samuel's web page added?

Thanks.

Thank you. I was going to request the same thing. I also added the link to Samuel's page.

AngelaS
05-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify--Jessica won't actually PAY the fees--they'll just be subtracted off your donation. ;)

mommyoftwo
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Just to clarify--Jessica won't actually PAY the fees--they'll just be subtracted off your donation. ;)

Correct. ppcalc.com allows you calculate the amount you need to send so that I receive a certain amount once fees have been removed. For example, if you want Samuel's family to receive $20, you would send me $20.91. Make sense?

mommyoftwo
05-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I just wanted to add that I'm trying to email everyone who has donated to thank them individually . It is a lot of people so please be patient if you haven't heard from me yet. Every penny is definitely appreciated though.

TaChapm
05-09-2008, 02:54 PM
How long are we going to be taking up a collection? I really want to donate but money is REALLY tight for the next week until DH gets paid. I might try to ebay a few things to earn a little money but that will still take a few days. Just trying to figure out some way to do this because I really want to give something.

mommyoftwo
05-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm planning on collecting for at least a few more days. I know there are many people in your position or who won't see this post right away but will want to donate. I haven't set a deadline yet but I don't imagine that it will be before the middle of next week. I want as many people as possible to have the chance to donate. Every little penny helps so even if all you can give is a couple of dollars it will help and be much appreciated.

elephantmeg
05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks for doing this. :)

HannaAddict
05-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I wanted to add that if timing is an issue for people, they can make a donation directly to the family via Paypal on Samuel's web site (goes through Mom & Me Creations). I made a donation last night via that route. (I made a donation last year too but it was never claimed. This time it looks like the transaction was completed.)

mommyoftwo
05-10-2008, 01:29 AM
I wanted to add that if timing is an issue for people, they can make a donation directly to the family via Paypal on Samuel's web site (goes through Mom & Me Creations). I made a donation last night via that route. (I made a donation last year too but it was never claimed. This time it looks like the transaction was completed.)

Yes, you can absolutely do that. The only thing you need to be aware of is that they will have fees taken out from paypal for every donation that is made through the link. The reason I'm strongly encouraging people to donate to my funded account is that fees will be not taken out. I will be sending them the money outside of their paypal account so that we can avoid losing money to fees. However, I'm sure the family greatly appreciates the money no matter how it is given.

spunkybaby
05-10-2008, 03:06 AM
I wanted to add that Jen has specifically requested that people send real cards as opposed to emails. She wants to collect then in a keepsake box. Please consider sending the Backus family a card. Here is their address:

Jen Backus
PO BOX 229
South Prairie, WA 98385

Please do not mention the collection that we are doing or any gifts we have discussed as I would like it to be a surprise. It would be a wonderful gesture though if you would write to let Jen and the family know how Samuel hss touched your lifel.

Can't we just include a check in the card and send both directly to her? That way we don't have to worry about paypal fees etc.

blisstwins
05-10-2008, 07:24 AM
That's what I did. I sent a mass card with a note and a donation via check, because I can never remember my log in for paypal and it seemed a simple way to get something to them. If I can figure out my paypal I would like tomake a small donation to this collection effort because I think the family would appreciate the gesture from a community that has been following her son's journey.

jesseandgrace
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm so sad to hear about Samuel's pain at the end, I've checked on his site for years. I'm sending my paypal now.

CBB
05-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Jessica,

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy life to organize this. I just send you my paypal donation. It is so hard not to think about Samuel when I look at my kids. I truely believe that he is at a better place, but my heart just aches for the Backus family.

jesseandgrace
05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I think I forgot to put donation for samuel on my $, can you look for it? I sent $55.00 to the credit card accepted site!

mommyoftwo
05-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I think I forgot to put donation for samuel on my $, can you look for it? I sent $55.00 to the credit card accepted site!

Jennifer P. right? I assumed that was what it was for so I have you down. Thanks for letting me know though. I was wondering just a bit.

mommyoftwo
05-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Can't we just include a check in the card and send both directly to her? That way we don't have to worry about paypal fees etc.

You can certainly do that. I was just trying to consolidate things so that they know many people are thinking of them and praying for them and they have fewer checks to keep track of. Regardless of whether you have money to give or not, I encourage people to send Jen and the family cards.

spunkybaby
05-11-2008, 12:48 AM
You can certainly do that. I was just trying to consolidate things so that they know many people are thinking of them and praying for them and they have fewer checks to keep track of. Regardless of whether you have money to give or not, I encourage people to send Jen and the family cards.

Thanks for organizing everything. I hope my previous post didn't come across as unappreciative--I was just thinking that for some of us who don't use Paypal much and who don't have funded accounts etc., it might be easier to just mail the Backus family directly with card and check. (I know you said we could also PM you for your mailing address and send you a check directly, but some people may not be able to send you $$ in time to make the general collection.)

Drag0nflygirl
05-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Has anyone posted about this on TBW or MDC?

mommyoftwo
05-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for organizing everything. I hope my previous post didn't come across as unappreciative--I was just thinking that for some of us who don't use Paypal much and who don't have funded accounts etc., it might be easier to just mail the Backus family directly with card and check. (I know you said we could also PM you for your mailing address and send you a check directly, but some people may not be able to send you $$ in time to make the general collection.)

No offense taken. :) It doesn't matter how the family gets the money as long as they get it.

blisstwins
05-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Ditto on appreciating and thinking this effort is important. I could not figure out how to use paypal (I never remember my ID or password), but I think I was able to send a small gift without logging in last night. Hope you got it.

Off Topic, could someone tell me what these sites are? TBW or MDC. Thanks.

KBecks
05-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know what TBW is, but I participate at MDC. I am not very involved there and don't know if anyone there has been following the story. My only concern is that the MDC community is enormous and I don't feel quite as "safe" there as I do here, even though they are both public communities. And I don't know much about the Backus family or if they have connections to the other places, or how comfortable they are being put out there, privacy wise. I would be concerned if anyone ill intentioned tried to take advantage of their situation.

wendibird22
05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
TBW=thebabywearer.com
MDC=mothering.com

blisstwins
05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
What is MDC?

hellbennt
05-11-2008, 10:59 AM

there's a post on TBW about Ayesha from Comfey Joey Slings is organizing a fundraiser/collection...
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243099

Drag0nflygirl
05-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Great! I agree about MDC being a bit too big - but TBW is very tight-knit.

o_mom
05-11-2008, 12:35 PM

It is against MDC's UA to post info for donations - except for the annual holiday helpers.

jesseandgrace
05-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Jennifer P. right? I assumed that was what it was for so I have you down. Thanks for letting me know though. I was wondering just a bit.

yes, thank you!

just_teachin
05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Just wanted you all to know that the box was delivered this morning according to the USPS tracking number.

mama2g03
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, good! Thanks for the update, Heather. I know they will love them.

mommyoftwo
05-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Here is the email I just received from Jen. I have already asked what color blanket she would like and will try to get one to her ASAP.

They are PERFECT. And the kids LOVE them. Truly. I am jealous! I want one too. When we opened them today, Mark said, "Now there are some people with some good sense." Thank you. Please let all involved know our thanks. The timing on Anna's was great as we are just finishing her room and the blanket matches her new bedding perfectly. She misses Samuel most saying today, "I miss Samuel, he was my best friend."" These are perfect and we cannot thank everyone enough. I know they will be treasured and appreciated for years to come.

Sending our love.

blisstwins
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Will the money for gifts, like the keychain potentially, be taken from this $? It is so wonderful to see that such a substantial amount has been donated. When are you thinking of sending this to the Backus'? I am just wondering because it would be awesome to hit a milestone #, like $2500 after the gifts and I am wondering if there are things I/we can sell to fundraise a little more.

mommyoftwo
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll make this quick as I"m running out the door. I've been able to get most of the gift stuff donated. A jewelry designer has donated a necklace for Jen and a keychain for Mark. Heather's services and part of the supplies were donated. Only a VERY small amout of the donated money will be going towards gifts.

american_mama
05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
What is the donation total up to now? I didn't find it when I looked at various posts. I love seeing what a group of generous people, largely strangers, can pull together on someone's behalf. For anyone who doesn't know, there have been multiple examples of this on BBB over the years and it's impressive.

mommyoftwo
05-14-2008, 11:41 PM
What is the donation total up to now? I didn't find it when I looked at various posts. I love seeing what a group of generous people, largely strangers, can pull together on someone's behalf. For anyone who doesn't know, there have been multiple examples of this on BBB over the years and it's impressive.

I have been updating it regularly in the very first post. It is now at $2315.68.

Lynnie
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
just wondering if there was still time to donate ? I'd like to make a donation, but would prefer to give it to the bbb group to raise the total, rather than mailing it directly to Jen & family.

thanks for doing this, you all. I haven't been around in a (long) while, and had almost forgotten what a great community this is.

mommyoftwo
05-15-2008, 05:41 PM
just wondering if there was still time to donate ? I'd like to make a donation, but would prefer to give it to the bbb group to raise the total, rather than mailing it directly to Jen & family.

thanks for doing this, you all. I haven't been around in a (long) while, and had almost forgotten what a great community this is.

You can absolutely still donate. You can send me paypal per the info in the first post or PM me for my address. Thank you for wanting to help.

Lynnie
05-15-2008, 05:53 PM
oh good, I'll get that out tonight. thanks

I bought a mom n me sling years ago, and from that and this board, followed Jen's story for a while, but have been out of touch. Its just so sad I can't even bear to think about it.

mommyoftwo
05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
We are now at $2655.23! I would LOVE to hit $3000. Thank you so much everyone who has given.

blisstwins
05-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Fingers crossed that we made 3,000 for the Backus'. I am so impressed by this effort.

mommyoftwo
05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
We are now at $2786.55. I would love to hit $3000 but that is an incredible amount of money either way!

blisstwins
05-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Yes, that is a wonderful amount. I hope it helps ease the Backus' burdens and bears witness to the power Samuel had during his short life to affect people and bring out good.

If this is too much work don't even think about it, but do you have any idea how many people contributed? I think this community's efforts have been so touching and I am curious to know if that amount was raised by tens or more of people. Thanks.

wendibird22
05-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Ok, we just need 22 people to donate $10 each to reach the $3000 mark. Make that 20...I'm going to put in another $20...I didn't need those Dunkin Donut coffees anyway!!!

mommyoftwo
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
No work at all. I kept track of everything in a spreadsheet. So far 88 people have donated.

Yes, that is a wonderful amount. I hope it helps ease the Backus' burdens and bears witness to the power Samuel had during his short life to affect people and bring out good.

If this is too much work don't even think about it, but do you have any idea how many people contributed? I think this community's efforts have been so touching and I am curious to know if that amount was raised by tens or more of people. Thanks.

mommyoftwo
05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
I will happily keep things open if more people will donate to reach the $3000 mark.

Ok, we just need 22 people to donate $10 each to reach the $3000 mark. Make that 20...I'm going to put in another $20...I didn't need those Dunkin Donut coffees anyway!!!

1964pandora
05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
What a great amount! I'll bet that we make $3,000 this afternoon, if we haven't already!

Susan

mommyoftwo
05-20-2008, 01:06 PM
We are getting close. I will be updating the very first post with the current total as the funds come in.

wendibird22
05-20-2008, 01:53 PM
We are getting close. I will be updating the very first post with the current total as the funds come in.

Wow!! $200 came in just today! I continue to be amazed by the generosity of the women (and men!) on this board. I'm looking forward to seeing that total hit $3000.:cheerleader1: :boogie: :cheerleader1:

dotgirl
05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I just sent a second donation - hopefully it will put us over $3000.

mommyoftwo
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
I've been gone all afternoon but I am THRILLED to report that the generous members here have defintely stepped up to the challenge and we have now raised...

Are you ready for this?

$3166.63!

Wahoo!!!!!

mommyoftwo
05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you EVERYONE who has donated money no matter how little. It means so much and I'm floored by how generous everyone has been. I can't WAIT to tell Jen the good news. A few people have contacted me about donating later in the week so I will accept donations for a few more days but will be sending the money to Jen this week. Yay!

LarsMal
05-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow! That is AWESOME!!!!! I got chills when I read the total. This is such an amazing community. I am so happy to be part of this group!

I haven't gone through any of the threads recently...is there an update as to what was decided in regards to the money? I know about the precious blankets and stuffed dinosaurs. Anything else besides giving them the check?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Julie

dr mom
05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Jessica, thank you so much for co-ordinating this. What a wonderful way to show the Backus family how much Samuel meant to all of us!

I :love-retry: the amazing, compassionate, generous members of the BBB!

caleymama
05-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Jessica, thank you so much for co-ordinating this. What a wonderful way to show the Backus family how much Samuel meant to all of us!

I :love-retry: the amazing, compassionate, generous members of the BBB!

My thoughts exactly!

mommyoftwo
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
I found a jewelry designer who is donated a custom photo pendant for Jen and is making a bracelet for Mark with one of Samuel's pieces of artwork on it. I am also having another blanket made for Jen and Mark with ducks on it as requested by Jen. I offered to make her a blanket when she told me how much the family adored the dino ones. I will make a point of telling her that the money is to be used for ANYTHING they want even if that is something frivolous and fun as we all decided they should do whatever they wanted.

Wow! That is AWESOME!!!!! I got chills when I read the total. This is such an amazing community. I am so happy to be part of this group!

I haven't gone through any of the threads recently...is there an update as to what was decided in regards to the money? I know about the precious blankets and stuffed dinosaurs. Anything else besides giving them the check?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Julie

Melanie
05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
See Jen's latest update, about the pendant.

Thanks for organizing all of this. Off to *finally* send my paypal.

brittone2
05-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Sent my payment (finally!)

The pendant idea was brilliant.

Thanks so much for organizing this. The BBB is where I first found out about Jen, several years ago when I was pg with DS (now 4). She made me my first ever sling/pouch. It is great to have the BBB rally around her with financial and emotional support.

mustangcobra44
05-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Can we still donate? Wasn't for sure when you were going to have to cut it off.
Thx

mommyoftwo
05-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Can we still donate? Wasn't for sure when you were going to have to cut it off.
Thx

Yup, I'm giving it to the end of the week because I'm waiting for a few payments. :)

mustangcobra44
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Cool. Just sent a little bit. Really wish I could have done more. Thx to everyone efforting the various causes for this family.

Melanie
05-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Yup, I'm giving it to the end of the week because I'm waiting for a few payments. :)

Thanks Jessica. I can't wait to see what the final total is!

And I just wanted to remind everyone and anyone who can, to send some written thoughts to Jennifer for Samuel's memory box. Of course the money is what they need, but she also said she keeps every card anyone has ever sent since he became ill. I ended up printing out a few of the posts I'd made on the 8th, to send. I don't know if she ever saw the threads online, but she did specifically ask for something on paper to save.

Backus Family
PO Box 229
South Prairie, WA 98385

Melanie
06-07-2008, 04:06 PM
NM! I see the update, here's a link for anyone else who didn't:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=294463

blisstwins
06-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I just noticed this was not pinned anymore. It makes me feel sad not to see it first thing. I hope we will continue to keep the Backuses in our prayers.

Just because it makes me feel good, was the figure in the first post the final amount? I think it is incredible so much was raised by this community. Thanks to the organizers!