PDA

View Full Version : cars

birdie75
05-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I am leaving my job at the end of the month and giving up my company car. My new job has a car allowance that I can use or keep, my choice. So, I need something to drive. Right now I have a 4 mo old but we plan on 2 kids.

So my DH is a manager at Ford and is sometimes eligible for supplimental company cars for a spouse. These are 1 year leases on cars with extra inventory and it would cover insurance and maintainace. So right now the only supplimental is a Mustand v6 automatic. Dh is currently driving a F150 crew cab. I would end up driving the truck (yuck) and he would drive the mustang.

So here are my choices, pick up the mustang until the end of the year when company car leases renew and deal with the carseat in a 2 seater or buy a car. If we buy we would get either a Ford Edge or a Mazda C7, which are in reality the same car. My concern is that buy buying I am stuck with the car for more then a year and we have to pay insurance and maintainance. The cost of both options is about the same.

trales
05-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Does he get an employee discount on the Edge? Are there any returning leases or employee cars that he can access and buy? We did that growing up and alwasy had inexpensive great cars. I would not worry about keeping a car for more than a 1 year. One of our cars has been around 11 and doing great. Cars last awhile.

They are both good choices for a family. I think you will be happy for a long time with both of them.