PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: infant car seats for twins

jacksmom0902
05-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Two moms in my Mothers of Multiples club are selling their gently used (not expired) infant seats and SNG strollers. I definitely want one of the SNG strollers but am torn on which seats to purchase. One mom has two Graco SnugRide seats and the other has two BabyTrend seats. I like the idea of saving the money on these two seats by buying used and from someone I trust (neither has been in an accident) but am also tempted by the nice new seats at BRU. I have two older sons so most of the baby stuff we have is borrowed or hand-me-downs. Any advice on what I should do? We can afford to buy new seats if necessary but I'm thinking that I'd probably rather put that money on new Marathons or such when they outgrow the infant seats. My singletons were big boys at birth and didn't stay in their infant seat very long (too heavy to carry!) so I guess I'm also wondering how long most folks carry their twins around in infant car seats.

Thanks,
Karla

caheinz
05-10-2008, 05:09 PM
It seems like the "favorite" infant seat now is the Graco SafeSeat. The benefit of that seat over the SnugRide (which is what we used with DS) is that the upper weight limit is 30lbs rather than 20.

It can only be used RF, but we kept DS RF until he was at the RF weight limit of his Wizard (33lbs), so that's not a negative to us at all.

I do like the idea of getting seats that will last longer than the original SnugRide did, though! (Especially since it's going to be two at once!)

(edited to fix name of seat)

bubbaray
05-10-2008, 05:22 PM
What vehicle are you installing them into? That makes a difference.

With twins, I'd probably get the Graco SafeSeat1, which goes to 30lbs. I wouldn't buy used, but that's just me. I do like your idea of getting good convertible seats like the MA down the road, but if you go with the SS1, you can get the twins to close to age 2 before you have to make that purchase.

jacksmom0902
05-10-2008, 10:20 PM
They will go in a '05 Honda Odyssey. I'm planning to move our Regent and Marathon to the third row and installing the infant seats in the second row seats.

Karla

bubbaray
05-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Have you figured out how you will (daily?) get back to the third row to buckle up the RG & MA? Also, the '05 Ody only has 1 TT in the 3rd row (which totally screws up your cargo area, BTW), so you won't be able to TT 2 FFg seats in the 3rd row.

I'd actually remove one of the 2nd row captains chair (and the 8th seat or console if you have the Touring model), have one of the FFg seats in the 2nd row, the two SS1s in the 3rd row, along with the other FFg seat (assuming all will fit). You'll need the FFg seat center, b/c that is where the TT is. You might have to use belts to install the SS1s, I can't remember if the 3rd row has LATCH anchors or not (I never use my 3rd row, it has a large dog crate on top of it, LOL!).

Good luck!

caheinz
05-10-2008, 11:06 PM
BTW, even though this is a question about twins, you're better off asking in the car seat forum. Several techs actually hang out there and respond on a regular basis!

bubbaray
05-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Hilarious -- I didn't even realize this was the Multiples forum. I just view "new posts" and see all the posts (even the wedding ones). Duh. Definitely come on over to the car seat forum. Lots of great advice there.

Obviously from my siggy, I do not have multiples. But, I do have an '05 Ody.

I would do the following:

remove one 2nd row captains chair and the 8th seat (or console if you have a Touring model).
install the Regent in the other 2nd row captains chair (TT behind seat)
install the MA center 3rd row (TT across cargo area)
install SS1's outboard on either side of the MA in the 3rd row, obviously both RFg

I'm assuming that both of your older DSs are FFg (no idea why I'm making that assumption, LOL). I'm guessing the MA will fit with the SS1s either way, though. The SS1s are pretty narrow for buckets (even though they are large in terms of longevity of fit) and the MA is high up on its little platform. If the MA d/n work in the 3rd row, you could try a Radian. They are very narrow and the top slots are higher than the MA, so its a good choice for your situation anyway (thinking down the road when you DS outgrows the MA). I can't imagine that down the road you'll be able to get 2 RFg or FFg seats for the twins and another Regent into the third row.

jacksmom0902
05-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks so much to both of you for your advice. I will post my question in the car seat forum also. Melissa, do you know if the newer Odyssey vans have a better TT anchor set-up in the back? I had really hoped to put my older boys in the 3rd row although I knew the TT situation might be a problem. I would just prefer to have the babies closer to me and not have to climb into the back of the van to snap them into their bases. I also know the two older boys will do well sitting beside each other but I'm not sure about the 3 year old with a baby on either side - ha, ha. My older son can buckle both he and his brother in and I'd just need to tighten their straps and adjust the chest buckle as needed. I am definitely going to miss all that extra cargo space in the back of the van when we have to start using the third row.

Thanks,
Karla

mom2binsd
05-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Another reason to go with either the Safeseat or something like the Chicco KeyFIT 30 besides the higher weight limits...the handle can stay up...the Baby Trend FlexLoc is one of the infant seats that has to have the handle put down while driving...one extra step (x2) to eliminate.

bubbaray
05-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Melissa, do you know if the newer Odyssey vans have a better TT anchor set-up in the back?

I can't keep track of where this thread is most recent -- here or in Car Seats

The 3rd row seats in the 2006 and new Ody's have TTs in all three positions and they are on the back of the 3rd row seats, so you don't have the strap going across the cargo hold.

The only year with the weird single 3rd row TT is the 2005.

HTH

Melaine
05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I haven't read the other car seat forum, but I would just like to cast my vote for the Snugride over the safeseats for twins. I got the safeseats, and ended up regretting it. My twins (and many twins) were preemies and so they didn't actually need the extra space in the SS. We ended up going ahead to switch them to the Marathons way before they hit the weight limit. The safeseats are a little bigger and heavier and therefore HARDER to carry when you are carrying two, so I wish I'd had the snugrides.

Neatfreak
05-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I think that the Chicco Keyfit has a mininum weight of 4 lbs versus the 5 lbs of the Graco seats, which might be an advantage if the babies you'll bring home are tiny or even premature.