PDA

View Full Version : when to start pumping???

megv
05-12-2008, 01:06 PM
When did you all start pumping?

DS2 is 2weeks old. So far, I just have not found time to fit in pumping. I am getting worried that I better start soon.

I plan to pump daily to build up a supply as I will be going back to work PT after 3 months at home.

karstmama
05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
i'm not much help since i started within a few hours (preemie).

when he came home, i found pumping hard to fit in, so i understand your problem. perhaps when he naps? perhaps when you get up to pee in the middle of the night?

shoxie
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
With my first, I started a week or two after she was born. I'd do it when I could put her down in the bouncy chair for a few minutes or when my husband was home. I found that I had much better luck pumping mornings than later in the day. It was hard, however, trying to make sure to do this in between feedings. I was always nervous that I'd pump and my DD would want to eat again. I kind of stopped after a couple weeks b/c I wasn't really using the pumped milk. Then started again much later, a few months or so.

I really think you can start whenever you want. If you need to go back to work, however, I'd plan on starting a few weeks ahead to get the hang of it and also to build up a stash ahead of time. It'll be much easier to pump at work b/c you'll have the time to yourself and won't have the baby eating in between pumpings. Don't stress yourself out about starting right now. You can wait a while, no worries. It's really early right now...

Good luck with it! :)

tylersmama
05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
I started pumping right around two weeks. I wasn't going back to work, but I wanted a little bit of a "just in case" stash. Also, our ped recommended that we give a bottle a day (so we could add a vitamin d supplement and so we knew he would take one if we really needed him to), so I pumped for that. I only nursed on one side per feeding until DS was about a year old, so I would nurse DS on one side first thing in the morning, then when he was finished, I would pump both sides. I usually wouldn't get much out of the side he had nursed on, but would on the other side. I also would usually pump in the afternoon while someone else gave him the daily bottle. The morning sessions were the ones that I always got the most output from, though.

Melbel
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
With my DD, my milk came in after 2 days, so I began pumping at the hospital to reduce engorgement and start building a supply. I found with my DS, when I tried to pump too much, it caused significant wear and tear on my nipples leading to mastitis x2 (which really decreases production). Based upon my "fun" mastitis experience with DS, with DD, I only used pumping if I was skipping a feeding (i.e. at work), or to reduce occasional engorgement (i.e. breast(s) were still heavy after a feeding). IMO, pumping is much harder on your nipples so be careful not to overdue it! As far as fitting it in, I was not afraid to use a baby swing or bouncy seat to pump if needed (it was for a good cause)!

scoop22
05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
i started with both boys at 3 1/2 weeks and started a bottle once a day. i would pump with ds1 when i had free time. :ROTFLMAO: ha ha.. there is no free time this time. so i pump while i feed ds.. the only hard part is i don't have a free hand for ds1. but it seems to be working for me. i also will pump while ds is sleeping. :hysterical: again this is hard to judge. good luck. i am trying to stock my freezer to go back to work.. this always stresses me out!

elephantmeg
05-13-2008, 01:59 PM
4ish weeks. I pumped in the morning (you have the most milk then). I give a bottle a couple times a week, and freeze the rest for a stash. Oh and occasionally give DS some if he's sick.

Melarina
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Did a little pumping early on when I needed to go to the doctor/leave DD with my Mom. Probably started for real to store at 6 weeks-ish. Pumping in the morning was the way to go for me. I would try to pump at night and found it very frustrating - I was tired, wouldn't get much, etc. I got a little obsessed with storing to freeze - never felt like I had enough. But it has worked out OK so far!