PDA

View Full Version : When to transition to "big" bed?

mls115
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Actually 2 part question. DS is 2yr 3months. He only gets his bink in bed - which makes both nap and bedtime pure pleasure. We'd like to get rid of the bink and also start to think about transitioning him to his big-boy bed. Should we take the bink away - deal with the fallout and once that is settled then think about the transition? I fear the new bed will mean shorter naps, early mornings, etc. Should we transition with the bink and then once he's settled with that change, get rid of the bink??? HELP!!!

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2008, 11:57 AM
What's the rush to move to a big bed? I say let him stay in his crib till he is climbing out or outgrows it based on the owner's manual. The switch to a bed does tend to mess with their sleep so the longer you can keep them in the crib, the better imo. IIRC ds1 was over 3yo before he transferred to a bed.

If you decide to switch him soon then I would probably do that switch then take the pacifier away a bit later. The comfort aid might help with the transition.

Beth

racerl1
05-14-2008, 08:22 AM
We transitioned DS when he turned 2. He went right in it with no problem. His sleep pattern did not change. He took the pacifier away about 1 month later, because I wanted him to have it during the transition.