PDA

View Full Version : Can I just say I hate shopping for patio furniture!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-13-2008, 02:32 AM
I've looked on craigslist trying to be cheap and do the whole reuse recycle thing and everyone is selling just outright cheap crummy stuff or they think that they're stuff is worth several hundred dollars.

So I broke down and started looking online and don't see one freakin thing I like, much less anything dh would like. I don't need anything high fashion. Just a table and a few chairs to sit at this summer since we're not putting up the big pool and we didn't put it up last year either so it's going into the garage. Grrrr...why is it so hard to find anything decent. And by decent I mean anything that accomodates my butt spread ;)

caheinz
05-13-2008, 03:02 AM
We've been on the lookout for the past two summers for our front porch.

I'm hoping we actually find something this summer. Especially
since we already lost one of our lovely plastic chairs to the wind (knocked it over, and it effectively shattered) this past week.

And what's with all the fugly cushions? Though I guess I haven't looked at those yet this year, but I'm guessing they aren't any better....

KBecks
05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
It is very hard! We ended up buying some stuff at a pool/patio kind of store that was more than I wanted to spend and that I didn't love but my DH did. We also got a table and chairs from HD.

I think if you can find something decent from a big box store that you can live with, that's the way to go. It's tough finding a nice style though. I've found that while I didn't love the furniture in the beginning, now I don't care, I like it just fine and I'm just happy to have something.

mamicka
05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I know what you mean, we finally bought our first patio set in almost 12 years of marriage. We really like it but it was really cheap. It's one of the black iron sets from Lowes. I was afraid it would feel cheapy & fall apart, but so far we love it. I intend to spend more on a nicer umbrella & coordinating cushions... but probably not this year.

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2008, 09:23 AM
We liked something a friend had, so we went to the company's website, picked out a style we thought we'd like. After price shopping and seeing a similar set by the same company at a True Value hardware store, we found a local "damaged furniture" place that can order new items for a low, low price. The cushions as well as all the pieces were 40% less than in the store, which made for a great bargain. Can't WAIT to get it in the next week or two! FWIW, I paid less than what the sets are at Lowe's but got a high quality wrought iron set with a 15 year warranty.

Twoboos
05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Not sure where you're located, but if you're in New England check out the Christmas Tree Shops. We just got my mom a 7 piece set for $200 there - big table, 4 chairs, umbrella and base in a neutral beige color. They said they can't keep it in stock! It's pretty decent for the price. And it's the sling chairs, so no nasty cushions!

ThreeofUs
05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
You know, I looked and looked and couldn't find anything that I liked under thousands of dollars. It was so frustrating to have a patio without decent furniture - especially here, where it's so cold for so long!

I eventually found a set I liked at a yard sale for $100. Is it the best? Nope. But I like it, it's comfortable, and it'll take any abuse DS can dish out!

Anyway, good luck!

KrisM
05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
We're looking too. I'm having very little luck. I don't understand having cushions outside and so many do. Do people really bring them in every night? Otherwise, it seems like they'd be wet all the time!

kijip
05-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Tell me about it. We have a small space and it was hard to find things that fit at all without taking over the garden. If it was for a smaller space it was "bistro" height (read: suicide jumps for my small child) Also, not every single person wants taupe/brown/beige/dark green with fugly tiles or weird glass. And used was simply not working- you hit the nail on the head with overpriced junky CL listings. We ended up getting a table from IKEA but are still looking for decent chairs.