PDA

View Full Version : Taxi cabs and car seat question, going to NYC and clueless

AddiesMom
05-13-2008, 06:59 AM
We are driving a rental car to NYC in June and we will bring our spare car seat (Cosco Scenera). We were planning on taking a taxi to a few places from our hotel. What do people normally do with a car seat when taking a taxi? Install it, but what do we do when we get to our destination (American Girl, restaurants, etc)? I can't see us walking around American Girl with a car seat!? DD is 2.5, 26 pounds and 36"

Clarity
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
We took the subway as much as possible when we were in NYC. This pretty effectively avoids the car seat issue.

801kelle
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
GOSH THAT IS A HARD ONE. I go to NYC all the time. My sister lives there so I don't have alot of the issues people have when going on vacation there. I have to admit we have taken the bus in they are these nice coach buses and I just sat Riley on my lap or in a seat next to me. My sister lives a half hour outside the city. I really am a carseat freak!! Taxis same thing because they are in such a hurry to get onto the next passenger to make more money. I think we have only taken her in a cab once? and I just held her .. I know I know for shame. WE usually drive in the car and then I take her stroller to push her around and we walk or take the subway.

But if you can find a taxi driver that will wait and allow you to install a carseat that is awesome. American Girl .. they are awesome you can probably leave it and they will hold it for you. As far as lugging it everywhere you go while you are there? That can be a pain. GOOD LUCK

Davids-Coco
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Actually, taxis are an exemption from the car seat law. Which is scary, but it is also an option. There is some information here: http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/Taxis.75827/editorial.aspx

Here's the important excerpt:

2. New York Cabs and Kids
Many people enquire as to what the rules are regarding child safety seats and seatbelts in taxicabs. Officially, drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts. While the Taxi and Limousine Commission encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab, there are no rules regarding this. Hence, infants may ride in any taxi at a parent's discretion. Of course, passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install. Note that children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap, but that this is considered inadequate by safety experts in case of an accident. Our advice is if you will be taking cabs with a small infant, bring a car seat.

The same info is available from the Taxi and Limo Comission: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml#9

mmsmom
05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Here is a link to information on Taxi's & car seats on the car seat lady's website:http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis.html

There are a lot more taxi accidents than some realize... it's not worth the risk. Use a car seat or take the subway (very easy, faster & cheaper than taxis anyway). If you do use car seat in a cab... ask the driver to start the meter as soon as you open door & tell him you need time to install car seat. American Girl, most restaurants & musems have coat checks where you can check-in car seat.

NewMom2007
05-13-2008, 04:37 PM
We were just in NYC last week and installed the car seat in the car from the airport to hotel. For two cab rides, we didn't - I know, not ideal. I will say - the cab driver freaked me out beyond belief with his driving - in hindsight, should have installed.

Love the idea of checking the car seat with the desk at American Girl - I'm sure they will accommodate. I'm sure restaurants would, too - just put it in the coat check area.

sivan
05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
oh, it's so so hard. i would do subway as much as possible.

a lot of restaurants don't have room for strollers, let alone car seats. but you can try if you stay upscale enough.

another option is to bungee cord it to a stroller and encourage the little one to walk as much as possible.