PDA

View Full Version : 15mo still in infant seat--am I crazy?

electriclady
05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
I've been shopping for a convertible to replace our Safeseat, since DD is now 15 months old...but at her 15 mo doctors visit, she weighed in at just over 20 lbs and 30 inches tall. If she continues on her current growth curve she won't reach the height limit on the Safeseat for another 4-5 months (she's got at least two inches of headroom left)!

So...is there any advantage to putting her in a convertible now, if she can still fit in the infant seat? And what kind of crazy looks am I going to get in the airport this summer when we go on vacation and I put my 17mo TODDLER in a "baby" seat?!? :-P

Joolsplus2
05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
You'll get funny looks, but you'll be the one enjoying the easy carrying and installation :ROTFLMAO:
My dd didn't outgrow her SS1 till almost 20 months and I loved it...here's what she looked like just about outgrowing it http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats/photo#5101172270539604018 (the next picture shows her feet hanging off the edge which loads of well-meaning people felt compelled to comment on, but I told them this seat is good till 30 pounds, so it was A-OK).

:)

Laurel
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
:yeahthat:

We kept DD in her snugride forever and it was great when traveling!

infocrazy
05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
We just switched my 11 month old...don't do it :-) I miss the carrier already!

codex57
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Who cares? If she fits, I'd keep using the seat. I've gotten comments already and DS is only just turned 7 months and a touch over 18 pounds. He's still well within size limits of the SnugRide. Infant seats are awesome cuz you can move the baby around while still in the seat. Can't do that with convertibles. People are weird and make all sorts of weird comments. Just ignore them.

lorinick
05-13-2008, 03:59 PM
If they fit leave them in. I took the Ds out at 7mts. He does still fit in the snug ride my husband uses it in his car. You can carry them still I guess I couldn't so I stopped using it. It was killing me to carry. Not sure how you guys carry them around. I couldn't do it at 18lb.

jellytalk23
05-13-2008, 04:22 PM
for the snugride, does the baby have to be 29" AND 22lbs? i also heard that requirement differs by state - is that true. i'm trying to figure if i'll be able to switch to a convertible car seat by sept, which is when my sister is due so that she can use the snugride. :) my baby is 7mos right now and 15lbs/26".

Joolsplus2
05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
That's the maximum for the snugride, there's nothing to do with laws, you just can't have a kid that's 23 pounds in the snugride or it'll fail in a crash. You can start using a rearfacing convertible seat any time from birth if you like it better or want to hand down your Snugride :)

jellytalk23
05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
so using your example, you can't have a kid that's 23lbs and 27" still sit in the snugride right? just making sure i understand. hmmm well if that's the case, then it's likely that my baby will outgrow the snugride by its height restriction before the weight restriction and most probably by sept.

thanks...

karstmama
05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
mine was in the snugride until he was just over a year, but he was a preemie. still, i thought it was cool that i got 6 months of use out of it!

Joolsplus2
05-13-2008, 06:06 PM
so using your example, you can't have a kid that's 23lbs and 27" still sit in the snugride right? just making sure i understand. hmmm well if that's the case, then it's likely that my baby will outgrow the snugride by its height restriction before the weight restriction and most probably by sept.

thanks...

Right, if the weight or height are outgrown, it's outgrown. When your baby's head is about an inch from the top of the seat, then the seat's too small (yeah, usually happens well before the weight limit is met, and for leggy kids it might be as tall as 30 inches, longer torsoed kids might be too tall at 27 inches, just depends how kids are shaped).

Did you click the link to the picture I posted above? Leah was taller than the height limit, well under the weight limit, and still barely fit in her Safeseat...your seat's a little smaller, but you're going for the same 'look' overall :)

GeekLady
05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I've been shopping for a convertible to replace our Safeseat, since DD is now 15 months old...but at her 15 mo doctors visit, she weighed in at just over 20 lbs and 30 inches tall. If she continues on her current growth curve she won't reach the height limit on the Safeseat for another 4-5 months (she's got at least two inches of headroom left)!

So...is there any advantage to putting her in a convertible now, if she can still fit in the infant seat? And what kind of crazy looks am I going to get in the airport this summer when we go on vacation and I put my 17mo TODDLER in a "baby" seat?!? :-P

Knock yourself out, if you like the 'portability' of the infant seat - there's certainly no advantage to switching out of a seat your daughter still fits in. Heck, knock out your critics, that seat'll do for them, too.

But don't kid yourself that a 17 month old in a SafeSeat is easily portable, that combo will weigh a TON. Yeesh, it makes my arms hurt just thinking about it.