PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Convertible Car Seat

jetrlw
05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Does anyone own a Recaro convertible car seat or know anything about them. I am having a hard time finding reviews about them. My 10 month old is about to outgrow Graco SnugRide and needs a convertible seat. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

codex57
05-13-2008, 03:28 PM
We have a Recaro Como. DS isn't in it yet since he's still in his SnugRide, but I have put him in there a few times when the SR was in my wife's car and I had DS. With my limited experience, it's a great seat as far as I can tell so far.

It's a great seat, just on the skinny side. If your kid is chunky, you may want another brand. The car seats are like their adult race seats. Snug. Good for ultimate safety, but the more plump may not fit very well. I bought it cuz I'm skinny so I'm pretty sure my kid will be too. It looks a heck of a lot better than a Britax and we just wanted a cooler looking seat.

jetrlw
05-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info. My daughter is currently 18 lbs. and 29 inches, so she is not a skinny mini, but not chunky either. I think this seat will probably work for her. Thanks again.

codex57
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
She's currently skinnier than my son. He's 18 pounds and about 27 inches (guessing a little on the height, but I just weighed him a couple of days ago so I know the weight for sure). Seat should work for her. Some babies are just WIDE (thinking one of my nephews).

Joolsplus2
05-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I owned one for a few minutes...it really wasn't the seat for us so I returned it :(. I'd go with the Signo for the better LATCH bars and the dialing headrest which gives more shoulder room http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Como (that's the Como, it's very narrow). My problem with it was that I couldn't see my kid in it when she was rearfacing.. even from the opposite side of the car..you know, like I was sitting in the passenger seat and trying to see her RF behind the driver. The harness adjuster is fantastic, though, I give that 2 thumbs up for smoothness :)

niccig
05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
We have the Como and DS is 3.5 yo. He's a smaller child, so I don't think the shoulder width will be an issue for us for a while. RF the wings are really deep and it can be a pain to put the child in if you have a smaller car. We used it in DH's Prius and it bugged me, but we only have DS in that car a few times a week. Our other seat was a Britax BLVD and I much preffered that. DH, though, loves the easy harness adjuster. DS is now FF, so the wings are no longer an issue.

wolverine2
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
We have the Como as well, have only used it FF. I have a large 3.5 year old, and he still fits, but I keep asking him if he's comfortable because he looks squished in the shoulders. We'll keep him in it till he complains.

jetrlw
05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up buying a Como and will install this weekend in Prius. We'll see how baby (and I) like it. We spend a lot of time in car on very long road trips so I wanted something extra safe. Thanks again for input.

jetrlw
06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
We ended up getting the Recaro Como in blush. It is great! My daughter is rear facing and seems quite comfortable. I like the extra head padding as she often falls asleep in the car and now she has somewhere to rest her head. The SIP wings are very deep, but I like that safety feature. I use a small round plastic mirror mounted in front of her so that we can see each other while I am driving. She loves to look at herself and it keeps her occupied while I drive. For longer trips I sit in the back while my husband drives. When she turns FF the wings won't be an issue. As for fit of the seat in the Prius, it works well in the window seats. The back is a bit high, but does not obstruct view. I love the fabric of the seat as it fits the interior colors perfectly (grey) with a blush contrast. The car seat is narrow, but works perfectly for my daughter. My only gripe is that the straps will occasionally twist and it is pain to untwist. Other than that. I love the Recaro!!