PDA

View Full Version : Maps

K-Bear
05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd like to put a map of the US and a world map on the wall of my DDs' playroom. Does anyone know where I can find big, kid friendly maps suitable for hanging on a wall?

brittone2
05-13-2008, 07:51 PM
nak-
we have some nice ones from Eeboo. Google for retailers-they have US and world maps.

hillview
05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
We really like the mapquest and national geographic ones. We have one of each (one world and one US). DS LOVES them.
/hillary

rlu
05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
How big? I bought a US map from Dollar Store a year ago. Not sure on dimensions - will check when DS gets up. The inventory turns over quickly but they might have some since it is in the classroom setup area and they tend to be a season or so early at Dollar Store. I haven't been there in a while, wouldn't mind the excuse to visit.

caheinz
05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
They had some neat ones at Costco that we picked up and hung. It's been a while, though, so I doubt they have them anymore.

I can check the brand, though. They're kid-friendly in that they have pictures all over, and lots of fun facts. We have two -- one is US and the other is World.

geochick
05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Our old neighbor had a huge one mounted on the wall. I believe she said she got it here:
http://www.maps.com/maps.aspx?nav=MS&cid=82,1306,1315
http://www.maps.com/maps.aspx?nav=MS&cid=82,1306,1314

They have a ton.

KBecks
05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I got some at Wal-Mart, and they were inexpensive, a world and national map for $10. The harder part was hanging them. We used tape for a long time but then I did pushpins and now he doesn't mess with them. I looked for frames but the maps are big. They are laminated and came rolled up. They have held up pretty well and aren't too costly if I need to replace them later.

brittone2
05-14-2008, 09:41 AM
They had some neat ones at Costco that we picked up and hung. It's been a while, though, so I doubt they have them anymore.

I can check the brand, though. They're kid-friendly in that they have pictures all over, and lots of fun facts. We have two -- one is US and the other is World.

These were nice. I didn't buy them because we already had ours, but I recall really liking them!

brittone2
05-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I got some at Wal-Mart, and they were inexpensive, a world and national map for $10. The harder part was hanging them. We used tape for a long time but then I did pushpins and now he doesn't mess with them. I looked for frames but the maps are big. They are laminated and came rolled up. They have held up pretty well and aren't too costly if I need to replace them later.

I haven't done this yet, but somewhere on a homeschooling board I read this idea:

Take a curtain rod fitted with the O rings that have clips on the end, and hang it on the wall (if you have an area of your house that you don't mind this being semi permanent). You can use the clips to hang up various visual aids, which is helpful for homeschoolers for obvious reasons. Non homeschoolers might like the ability to change out for artwork, etc.

fauve01
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
not a wall map, per se, but DD loves loves loves the giant world map on the shower curtain we got her from Target. it's a fantastic map! every time she's in there to go potty or have her bath, we are talking geography.
http://www.target.com/World-Map-Shower-Curtain/dp/B000P655MM

just thought i'd throw that out there since someone might be interested.

anne

schrocat
05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I saw the ones at Costco last year too. I didn't buy them coz DS was too young but I remember thinking that they were really nice. They'll probably have them out soon with the rest of the back to school stuff.

K-Bear
05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

What brand is the Costco one?

KBecks
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I haven't done this yet, but somewhere on a homeschooling board I read this idea:

Take a curtain rod fitted with the O rings that have clips on the end, and hang it on the wall (if you have an area of your house that you don't mind this being semi permanent). You can use the clips to hang up various visual aids, which is helpful for homeschoolers for obvious reasons. Non homeschoolers might like the ability to change out for artwork, etc.

Cool, thanks for sharing! This is one of those things I think I would think of but really doesn't quite happen.

rlu
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
not a wall map, per se, but DD loves loves loves the giant world map on the shower curtain we got her from Target. it's a fantastic map! every time she's in there to go potty or have her bath, we are talking geography.
http://www.target.com/World-Map-Shower-Curtain/dp/B000P655MM

just thought i'd throw that out there since someone might be interested.

anne

great idea - thanks!