PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for outdoor play with a crawler

wendibird22
05-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, this may sound silly, but what do you do with your LO outside who's only crawling? I have my summer off from work and am looking forward to spending lots of quality time with DD (9mos), but it dawned on me that I'm not really sure how to entertain her outdoors at this age without it involving her eating grass! So what did you all do with your LOs at this age? I do have a Superyard play yard that I could bring outside with a blanket/sheet underneath to avoid the whole grass eating and I plan to get a little wading pool. But what else? Are there any other outdoor toys/playsets that would work for a kid who isn't walking yet or who may be a new walker by the end of the summer?

Tondi G
05-14-2008, 02:15 PM
something like this

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/climb-slide-castle.aspx?Ne=1&N=26+120

we had a little tikes old cube slide kinda thing that both my boys enjoyed when they were around a year... you can still find them on Craigslist sometimes!

Sand and water table... or a sand box and an independent water table

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/island-adventure-water-table.aspx?Ne=1&N=26+120

sprinklers

Balls

At crawling age my little guys loved to crawl around and get filthy... eat grass, suck on smooth rocks from the pathway.... not what I wanted them to be doing but it was all part of their exploration and they weren't any worse for it! Building their immune systems I guess!

~Tondi

wendibird22
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
At crawling age my little guys loved to crawl around and get filthy... eat grass, suck on smooth rocks from the pathway.... not what I wanted them to be doing but it was all part of their exploration and they weren't any worse for it! Building their immune systems I guess!

~Tondi

Thanks for the ideas. So maybe what I should really be asking is the best way to get grass stain and dirt out of clothes!:wink2:

Tondi G
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
OXICLEAN works well for me!

geochick
05-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Things I did:
Superyard and blanket
Exersaucer outside
Walks in the stroller
Blanket on the lawn with lots of toys in the center of the blanket
Water table next to the stroller
Go to the playground. My kids always like to listen to/watch the older kids there. Baby swings are fun too.

Don't forget to use sunscreen or find a good, shady spot.

You'll have a fun summer, but nothing compared to summer 2009!

hillview
05-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I have a pack and play set up outside and put toys inside it so when I need to dash off after DS #1 I have a safe place for DS #2.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

brittone2
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
A tent/tunnel set is fun for that age group. Costco carries a great set from Ryan's Room before Christmas each year that is an amazing bargain, but you can find the Ryan's Room sets for a little more money during other parts of the year. Ikea sells tents/tunnels as do a bunch of online retailers.

DS got his when he was about 18 months, and he's now 4 and still thinks it is fun when I bring it out on occasion. DD has been using that same one since she was 9-10 months old. It was fun because it was one of the first things they could really play together.