PDA

View Full Version : airplane with 3yo

piptucker
05-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Would you put your 3.5yo DC in an airplane seatbelt or a Nautilus? Here is the longer story. I will be taking my DD on her first flights next month. She is in a MA in my and DH cars, but we don't want to travel with the MA. She has outgrown the Scenara in my mom's car, so that needs to be replaced. She only rides in my mom's car about once a month. My initial thought was to buy a Nautilus for my mom's car and use that on the flights and in the rental car. But what are the safety and convenience pros and cons of using or gate checking the Nautilus? Will DD be more apt to sleep (ha, ha) if she can recline the plane seat rather than sitting upright in the Nautilus? Or is better to have her tied down :) in the Nautilus. I appreciate your wisdom! I can use all the advice I can get when it comes to airplanes.

mom2binsd
05-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Is there a specific reason not to bring the MA??? I think if she's used to it, you're used to installing it (and it's so easy to install in any rental car) it would be the best bet for a flight/travel....she would feel very secure in the seat for the flight and you'd have it for use upon arrival. Whichever seat you bring I'd put your child in the carseat...the recline in airline seats isn't always a sure thing and with the carseat they can sleep with the head support.

I've heard no reports of too much difficulty using the Nautilus on an airplane.

I've carried my MA through many airport no problem...would never check any carseat as luggage for fear of not having a seat upon arrival.

August Mom
05-14-2008, 05:24 PM
If you are taking a car seat with you, I'd definitely use it on the plane. I would want to avoid checking it if at all possible, plus, your DC will be more secure.

niccig
05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
We had a 13 hour return trip from Australia, DS (3.5 yo) slept EIGHT hours - he was in his car seat. And I think we were the only ones as it was a QANTAS flight and it's not the norm for Australians to take convertible seats on the plane. We had one flight without the car seat as no car travel at the destination, and it was a very long 5 hours as DS kept undoing his seat belt and wouldn't sit in his seat. Getting the car seat through the airport can be a pain, but the fact that he is restrained and sleeps, makes it worth it for me. We took our stroller just for the airport. We put the car seat in the stroller and used a bungee cord to strap it to the stroller, DS was then strapped into his seat or he walked. Or you could strap it to a folding luggage cart.

As for sleeping, we kept DS up later the night before and we had an early start, so he didn't get as much sleep as normal. He was a little difficult in the airport, but then fell asleep for most of the flight, so it was worth it, and it meant he woke up on Los Angeles morning time rather than Australian time.

Tanya
05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm traveling at the end of this month with a 5 year old and a 21 month old. They both ride in Marathons in my van and that's what I'm taking on our trip. The 5 year old's Marathon will definitely go on the plane. If we can get a free seat for my younger one, her Marathon will also go on the plane (otherwise, I'll gate check it). I'm used to their Marathons, so I figure installing them on the plane or the rental cars should be a bit easier than if I went with other seats.

My 5 year old recently outgrew the Evenflo that Grandma had in her car, so I instructed her to buy a Nautilus. I installed it in her car and I do not recall it being a lightweight seat, so if you are comparing it to a Marathon, I don't know why taking the Nautilus would be an advantage.

Tanya

bubbaray
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I would take whatever seat your child is most used to. That way, being on the plane will be more familiar. Also, MAs install easily via belts or LATCH at your destination. The last thing you want to be doing is cursing a new seat in the rental car lot. BTDT.

hillview
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I'd use a car seat unless DC is very good at keeping belts on etc. I wouldn't want a toddler loose on the plane and feel safer DC is safer in the car seat.
/hillary