PDA

View Full Version : Help! Latch and belt install

Davids-Coco
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Knew that would get your attention! ;)

I have a friend who is doing this and thinks it is fine since the center does not have latch and it is just extra anyway - and attached to the outboard seats.

She wants to know WHY it is not ok to use both. I need a concrete reason to get her to stop!

GeekLady
05-16-2008, 06:29 PM
My understanding is that using both causes more of the force in an accident to be transferred to the child instead of being absorbed by the seat

bubbaray
05-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Because the seat is not crash tested with both and therefore no one knows what will happen in a crash if you use both. Why risk it?

Joolsplus2
05-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Um...the manual says not to?

I'm also holding to the other theories... seats have to meet certain criteria, including low G-forces on the chest. It really is entirely possible that things being in there too tight could put injurious force on the child....and it's probable that they have not tested the seat that way.

If our lack of definitive 'it'll hurt your kid' info doesn't help, then admit to her that even Britax admits to do both systems, but do one loosely...that way it's a backup, but won't be risking the extra force into the kid.

There haven't been any injury data collected on this, and some experts are kind of saying it probably should be tested and allowed, so if she 100% won't bend, then I wouldn't worry too much.

:)

hillview
05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Wait Britax says this is OK??

/hillary

GeekLady
05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
More importantly, if her rear center doesn't have LATCH, she needs to find out if it's okay to use the outboard anchors in the center position in her car. Some car manufacturers *coughHonda* don't let you do this.

Davids-Coco
05-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Thank you. Seems like it worked! Hopefully she will really do it.

Joolsplus2
05-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Wait Britax says this is OK??

/hillary

Someone called and they were told it was fine to do the LATCH and then loosely route the belt through it... Not sure what would happen if someone else called, though... but even in theory it's really not that bad... I still wouldn't do it till the manual says something :)