PDA

View Full Version : White Crib for a boy?

WatchingThemGrow
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
DD has her big bed just waiting in her room. We're going to keep her in the crib as long as possible, but she has jumped out already. DH said, "No WAY" to moving her crib into DS's room. Hers is a Stanley Young America Contentment crib- the sleigh one, and DS has a Sorrelle Rita Bella from a friend. He's the 4th one to use it, whereas her crib was brand new. The rest of his furniture is the same Stanley design, just in the cinnamon color.

DH claims it's just too girly. We'll repaint his room soon (since we never did) when we move it, but I just need some help convincing him it is fine to use this crib for a boy... http://youngamerica.stanleyfurniture.com/youngamerica/Browse.do?groupNumber=15&nav2=YNURSECRIB&sku=483-94-215&nav1=YNURSERY
FWIW, we have a large ocean-themed rug from Capel Rugs, so the colors are bright and bold elsewhere. What do you think?

bubbaray
05-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Um, like your son will care?! LOL. I really wouldn't worry about the color of the crib. As long as the crib has good sleep karma, it could be pink with purple polka dots and I wouldn't care....

I would totally reuse pink or girly sleepers for a boy too, especially for around the house.

And, personally, I wouldn't use a crib from someone else and not after that many other kids. I'm not big into used/hand me down stuff though, I'm sure others do it and its fine. But, you already have a good crib that you know the history of -- why risk something used?

How old is your DD? The only thing that might make me change my mind on using your DDs crib is the spacing between children. We moved DD#1 out of her crib a bit young (2 or so). If I had it to do over again, I'd wait until she was a bit older.

If your DH is really in a spending mood, have him buy a decent carseat and/or a good double stroller!

C99
05-16-2008, 11:17 PM
As Melissa said, it's not like your DS is going to care. My DS2 is currently sleeping in his sister's very-girly decorated room, complete w/ sparkly butterflies hanging from the ceiling and rose prints on the wall. While DD is sleeping in the boys'
car-themed room.

ETA: My DH didn't want to move DD's crib because he didn't want to disassemble and then reassemble the crib again.

MontrealMum
05-17-2008, 12:14 AM
ITA with pp. Our DS is in a "French Vanilla" crib, so, basically, off-white. Combined with the way the room is decorated, it's far from girly. Though I'm not too into gender-specific decor/clothing. We've used lots of other bright colors and neutrals and the whole effect is just cute and fun - IMHO.

WatchingThemGrow
05-17-2008, 07:18 AM
ETA: My DH didn't want to move DD's crib because he didn't want to disassemble and then reassemble the crib again.

Yes, it has good sleep karma, although she's starting to wake now(at 7)...She'll be 2 tomorrow, but she's almost at 35" and the jumping out thing bothers me. We have a friend who's wearing a cast from a crib jump last week. DS (6 mos) is able to roll around so far, so I didn't feel bad using it for just a little while. When pulling up starts to happen, I want him to be in the newer crib.

We've got MA's for both DC, and the BJCED covered (and Mac and Bug for singles) so we're good there, unless you can think of something else we "need."

I think he'll get over it, but like C99 said, I think reassembling it is exactly what he doesn't want to do!

I think if I just pick a nice color for the walls, but my homemade box pleat manly crib skirt on it and bright solid sheets, it will fit nicely in there. I think he's just picturing white sleigh crib, purple gingham dust ruffle, the purple walls that are in there now... Thanks for the ammo, girls!!

Melbel
05-17-2008, 07:59 AM
With the right bedding, I think the white crib will be perfectly fine for a boy. I know plenty of friends with white cribs for boys. Just look in PBK or other catalogs and you will see white cribs with bedding for boys. My DS graduated to a big boy bed at 20 months (arrival of DD). We did have some problems with our little "jack in the box" (frequent getting up out of bed), but with some effort, this ended.

KBecks
05-17-2008, 09:09 AM
I think white is fine for a boy, I purposely picked out white for my sons because I already had a white dresser that was mine from childhood. Some sleigh styles are very girly, IMO, but that's not bad.

smilequeen
05-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I have an antique white crib. I wouldn't want white furniture for a big boy room, but it's very sweet in a nursery. How you decorate makes all the difference.

DS1 room was more unisex b/c we weren't 100% that he was a boy
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL17/579020/4478528/72026020.jpg

DS2 was quite obvious :)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL17/579020/15402604/264587426.jpg

I figured I'd use it for all of my children and I wanted it to be good for a boy or a girl :)

DrSally
05-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I use a white crib, Jenny Lind style even for DS b/c I used a white IKEA Hemnes dresser (cheap and lots of space). I did Restoration Hardware Silver Sage paint with silver and taupe accents in his room. I think it looks fine, esp. for when he was a baby.

jvs195
05-18-2008, 08:45 AM
We have a white crib for DS (and now will be used for #2 DD) and it was fine. I installed white builtins and painted a dresser white. All the accents were bright (like toys). I used PBK red gingham crib skirt and sheets and have bright striped curtains. It worked great.

smiley525
05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
We have a white crib/dresser for our ocean theme nursery. We don't know the gender yet.