PDA

View Full Version : Tricycles! (again)

tylersmama
05-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Ok, I know this subject has been discussed a bazillion times, but to be honest, I'm really lousy at searching, so I would like to humbly ask to discuss it again. :loveeyes:

DS is turning two in two weeks and I want to get him a tricycle. I've heard and read great things about the Kettlers, so I've gone out and looked at a few. I've ruled out a couple of models based on my initial impressions (didn't like the looks) or lack of features (didn't have the dump bucket on the back).

I think I have it narrowed down to the Junior or the Jumbo models. The Jumbo is $60 more, but has a handbrake, option to lock the handlebars when using the pushbar, and freewheel so DS wouldn't have to pedal when being pushed. For those of you in the know, are these options worth the extra $60?

Or, am I just looking at spending entirely too much anyway and should look at some cheaper brands? I don't even know what other brands are really out there. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! :)

Tondi G
05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
we have a Kettler jumbo with the regular (not air) tires and it still looks like it's brand new! We got it when our 1st DS was 1.5 and now our 2nd (just turned 3) is using it. We feel we got our moneys worth from the trike and if we decide to have a 3rd I'm sure it will be used by him or her too! They really are quality trikes!

One option would be to check craigslist and see if anything second hand is available!

Good luck making your decision!

brittone2
05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
We love our Kiddio Supertrike 4 (DS got it for his 2nd bday. He's now 4 and uses it occasionally, although he mostly rides his balance bike. His 17 mo old sister now uses the trike a LOT).

I know they are hard to find, but we've been really happy with it. We never thought it was that big of a deal to not have the parent lockout on steering or autofreewheel as DS could handle verbal directions by then and keep himself away from the pedals. DD has gotten her feet pinched once or twice (since she's using it a much younger age) but just keeping the front wheel slightly lifted off the ground while pushing alleviates that.

The Kiddio ST 4 has a dump bucket, seatbelt, air tires, and a pushbar, and usually was around $100.

mnosky1
05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
We have a Kettler- Brummi I think - no air tires, push bar, handbrake, dump bucket in back, got a really good deal and it was still over $100. I read here about them all the time and just had to have one. I obsessed over the wheel lockout, handbrake etc and DD could have not cared less I am sure. She had a cheap plastic one from a neighbor that she liked better - she outgrew the Kettler super super fast and it was just a waste. I am looking at a bike now and am going for a $40 walmart one based on our tricycle expereince. Granted we didn't ride that much - mostly in the driveway, a few times took it on a walk or to a bike trail. So it still looks great and will last for DD2 but honestly so will the plastic hand-me-down one form the neighbor which is 10 years old and on it's 4th kid.
Michelle

citymama
05-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Been there just recently. That desperate, "she's-about-to-turn-2-and-must-have-a-trike'" period. Just before my DD turned 2, I spent forever debating this and feeling compelled to get her the perfect trike. I wanted a Kettler but didn't want to spend $200. I scoured Craigslist but someone else always got there before me. Then I decided to post an "ISO" message to our neighborhood parents' list, and ended up with a terrific, like new Kettler Jumbo for $50, including helmet. DD was thrilled with it.

Perfect, right? Except that 3 months later, she's ridden on it maybe 3 times outside the house. Every kid on the playground, and every kid that visits, covets this trike. She covets every other kids' trike. Not sure why, but after all that angst, we aren't yet getting much use from this trike! I suspect that it has something to do with size - a Jumbo is still too heavy for a 24 month old to move around; maybe the bare-bones $99 Kettler Blossom would have been better. I love the pushbar feature; she loves the bucket. Handbrake is more of a novelty feature so far. Still thrilled I got it b/c I am sure she will get use out of it sometime soon, just hasn't happened yet.

I would suggest either wait a little longer till you see a deal on craigslist or elsewhere, or get a lighter version now, and maybe a balance bike at 3.

BTW, the Kiddio Supertrike model that everyone on BBB raves about is no longer available in stores - the version that is sold now doesn't get great reviews.

Good luck!

Oak
05-18-2008, 01:44 AM
There is a Radio Flyer tricycle with rubber tires and it has a handle for you to push your child. The handle is cool because it allows you to steer the trike, and your child can either pedal or coast while you are doing that. It also can be easily removed for solo rides. I love ours and my son does too. I have an older one that does not have the rubber tires and I wish I could trade. Definitely check this out... they are about $80.

brittone2
05-18-2008, 08:48 AM
BTW, the Kiddio Supertrike model that everyone on BBB raves about is no longer available in stores - the version that is sold now doesn't get great reviews.

Good luck!

Bummer!! I knew they were getting hard to find but I'm sad they are gone. I thought the Kiddio ST4 was the perfect balance of value and price.

I would not shell out a ton of money for a trike. Many kids don't pedal independently until close to 3 (or even later) and by that time my own son preferred his balance bike.

tylersmama
05-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the thoughts so far, ladies! Feel free to keep 'em coming!

I think I will try to get to Target this week and just take a look at what they have in cheaper trikes. If I just don't like what I see there, then I'll probably go ahead with the Kettler...just still don't know which one I'd go for...

westgre
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I too went through hours of reserach, deciding what the best trike was that we could afford. We ended up with the Radio Flyer one mentioned above. I think we spent about $70 on it for DD's second birthday. The trike has had little use. When the neighbor moved in next door, she much preferred his Fisher Price Rock, Roll, and Ride Trike. So much so, we went to KMart and bought her one for around $35. So much for research...

Oak
05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
My two year old son loves his Radio Flyer tricycle, but he likes being pushed, I think. The only thing he is not too fond of is the hard tires on sidewalks, and stuff. He's OK with it, but would rather he be pushed in grass.

I see that the newer ones have rubber wheels. If only I could trade!

Here is a link to the newer awesome stroller!

http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/trikes_54.html

knaidel
05-18-2008, 09:01 PM
a year ago, my mother purchased a kettler trike for my son. I forget which model, but it was about $110. It has a bucket, parent pushbar, hand brake, and seatbelt. Honestly, I wish I would have just told my mom to get a less expensive radio flyer--- I don't think my son cares AT ALL about the extra features. Plus, the kettler is really heavy-- it's great because it doesn't tip, BUT when I have to carry it up the steps to our apt, I'm cursing it.

I think the radio flyer is a good trike for the money. I see kids riding it all the time, without tipping. Seems like a good in-between-- not something super cheap and junky, but not top-of-the-line. I also feel a little dumb pushing around such a fancy trike, when every other kid at the park has the radio flyer.

Alice523
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
We have this one http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/trikes_53.html which we purchased at Target about a month ago. It was $38, on sale from $50 or $60. My 2.5 year old loves it! I was worried about tipping, and DS did tip the smaller Radio Flyer (ages 1.5-3) at Target, but I haven't seen him tip this one (ages 2-5) even once. DS was pedaling independently right at two, so we weren't really in the market for a pushbar, but I wanted the bigger-sized trike for the higher age limit. He also enjoys having us push him for fun and I figure it'll come in handy to give us some control on walks to the park. After seeing how happy DS is and how well this tricycle is working, I'm very glad I didn't spend time stalking Kettlers on craigslist. :)

skohng
05-19-2008, 05:45 PM
don't mean to hijack, but how do the RF's in the links above compare to the "fold 2 go" or whatever sold at Target? Are they longer or bigger? (fingers crossed b/c my 3yo was way too big for the fold 2 go!)

bubbaray
05-19-2008, 05:52 PM
We have this one:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293578&page=2

DH looked at the Kettlers and thought they were too heavy as DD#1 was using it at around 18m. She only used it for about 1.5 years, then moved onto a 2-wheeler with training wheels.

Alice523
05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
The RF we have is bigger than the Fold 2 Go. The handlebar is higher up and I'm sure it's bigger in general (I didn't compare them side by side, though). On the box, ours is listed as ages 2-5 and the Fold 2 Go is 1.5-3. We were considering the Fold 2 Go, but DS rode it around the store and tipped it getting on and off several times. One of the times, he fell back on his head and screamed for a few minutes, so we skipped it. I haven't seen him tip the bigger one even once.

skohng
05-19-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks! just what i needed to hear. DS kept tipping the fold 2 go. in a way it was cute since i'd never heard him say "woah" so many times :) the RF steer and stroll o looks like a solid choice.

The RF we have is bigger than the Fold 2 Go. The handlebar is higher up and I'm sure it's bigger in general (I didn't compare them side by side, though). On the box, ours is listed as ages 2-5 and the Fold 2 Go is 1.5-3. We were considering the Fold 2 Go, but DS rode it around the store and tipped it getting on and off several times. One of the times, he fell back on his head and screamed for a few minutes, so we skipped it. I haven't seen him tip the bigger one even once.