PDA

View Full Version : Sea World for Memorial Day weekend - any tips?

mama4jc
05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi all: We're taking out almost 2 y.o. and our 3.5 y.o. to Sea World this weekend and was curious if anyone has any tips for us re: the park itself, when to get there, what they really liked and what to avoid - things like that. We welcome any comments! Thanks so much!

tnrnchick74
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Go to the "big" shows (Shamu, sea lions) EARLY or during lunch/dinner breaks! The nite time Shamu show is called "Shamu Rocks" I believe and its pretty cool - very different than the "Believe" show. BUT its later at nite and the kiddos will be tired.

Try to eat early to beat the crowds. I believe that all the eating establishments have kids shamu packs now...they are pretty nice but you know how $$$ food is at the theme parks.

There is a really nice kids water area - it does get crowded but its a great place to cool off.

Don't miss the Bush welcome pavillion in the BACK of the park - they do offer a free sample of beer, but the focus is on the Clysdale horses. It's REALLY cool!

The dolphin nursery is neat to walk up to, but you can't get really close to the babies and kids have a hard time seeing. Plan on spending more time at the sting ray "hands on" encounter and the dolphin pool - kids can feed them, touch them, and its MUCH easier to get close to them.

Another show you DO NOT WANT TO MISS!!! It's an indoor, AC show called Pet's Ahoy (or it was a few months ago) - first of all, its in a theater that is nice and cool. Secondly its HILARIOUS! Third the trainers have taken "regular" animals from the local SPCAs and trained them to perform in this show. It's very cute and everyone I know has always loved it. Finally - ITS AIR CONDITIONED!!! Make sure to get to the theater early because it is limited space and there is a wait.

The crowds are usually bad for holidays. There is no way around it. Stay cool, keep hydrated, wear LOTS of sunscreen, and pace yourself. You will NOT be able to "do everything" in 1 trip. I live here, go to Sea World at least 3-4 times per year and still there are things I miss!

mama4jc
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the tips! Definitely taking notes! :) Anyone else with any tips for us - we're very excited! :)

tnrnchick74
05-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the tips! Definitely taking notes! :) Anyone else with any tips for us - we're very excited! :)

Are you taking your own stroller or renting one there? They have the double "shamu" strollers...just beware that EVERYONE will rent one and everyone's stroller will look the same. You can't take the stroller into the exhibits.

I would also suggest some form of child identification, especially for such a busy weekend: safety tattoos, wrist bands, SOMETHING so that if (heaven forbid) you get seperated that the park officials can join you back up. It happens rarely, and the park workers are GREAT with things like that.

Enjoy your trip & let us know how it goes!!!

mama4jc
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! :) We had a great time, brought our own double and had a blast! It was busy but the 2nd day with less of a crowd made it better. Plus the weather was great this weekend. :) We also went back after dinner and saw some shows in the evening that were really fun! We really enjoyed ourselves!

tnrnchick74
05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! :) We had a great time, brought our own double and had a blast! It was busy but the 2nd day with less of a crowd made it better. Plus the weather was great this weekend. :) We also went back after dinner and saw some shows in the evening that were really fun! We really enjoyed ourselves!

I'm SO glad you had a good time! The weather was BEAUTIFUL this weekend! Not too hot, not too humid! Glad you got to see some of the evening shows as well! Sea World is one of my favorite parks!