PDA

View Full Version : Swing-n-Slide/Timber-Bilt Timberglove?

Misu
05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
We just bought this playset http://www.swing-n-slide.com/timberbilt/palisade.htm at Home Depot. (Again, we have already bought this one, so please don't tell me that this set/brand is awful, or try to persuade me that we should get another one, LOL. This is what our budget allowed...)

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of using the TimberGlove? This is a padded wrap that is installed (permanently) on the big upright lumber pieces. Using the TimberGlove is not mandatory, it is for aesthetics (seems pretty optional), and to keep the lumber splinter-free (seems like a good benefit). But it does seem like a PITA to install. Any BTDT advice?

Thanks!

Misu
05-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Does anyone have any input on the TimberGlove wrap?

Woodbury
05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I would advise taking the set back. The 2008 Sunray at Costco is a much better playset for the money. If you are determined to keep this set, make sure you have all the needed tools.

bwbutters
05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Misu - We also just bought this set so I don't have any real feedback for you. I did, however, compare the wood it came with to our neighbor's Sunray and was impressed. The floor boards for the forts are thicker and all four sides are sanded. Seems pretty good to me. Swing-n-slide is a solid company with a good reputation. And the Sunray is more expensive. Personally, I think the Palisade will be a good value/solid set. The hardware is heavy duty - each swing hanger can support 300 lb - far more than the Sunray.

We are planning to use the Timberglove. I spoke to the company and they said it is for aesthetic reasons but we also plan to use it to make the posts more child friendly. The slight padding should help if they get bumped. That said, I wonder how they will hold up over 5+ years. Guess we'll see. I'd love to hear other feedback if people have used it.

Misu
05-26-2008, 07:28 AM
bwbutters, thanks for your input. We are putting up the set this weekend, and we went ahead and put on the Timberglove. As you said, we'll see how it looks 5 years out... Thanks also for your input on Swing-n-slide vs. SunRay.

elephantmeg
06-23-2008, 08:48 PM
we bought one, are pleased with it and used the timber glove. We had lots of problems with missing parts though (screws, bolts, swing hangers, step brackets...), hope you fared better! FWIW a turtle sandbox fits perfectly in one of the areas underneath :) and we're planning on putting gravel in the other side