PDA

View Full Version : Ped office and carseat recs

Happy 2B mommy
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM
The other thread regarding the 12 month check-up and Doctors/nurses telling parents to FF their DCs made me want to share my experience at DD's 12 and 18 months appt.

At DD's12 month, I got the same "time to turn her FF" from our pediatrican. I told him that DD would stay RFing and I also got the "most kids are unhappy RFing, parents can't wait to turn them FFing" At DD's 15 month check up I brought along some articles and the AAP recs. The doc agreed with me and thanked me for the articles. I wondered if he really meant it...

So... last week at DD's 18 month appt, that doc hands me their new Carseat Safety pamphlet and points out to me that this one says that it is safest to keep children RFing for as long as the seat will allow. He said he now points that out to all his patients parents. Sadly, all of them ask if they can turn their kid, anyway. But at least he's giving the info.

HIU8
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow. At least he was open to passing along the information. I hope my ped responds positively at DD's 12 month appointment in a few weeks. I also plan on bringing materials along.

Joolsplus2
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
:cheerleader1: :yay:

good for you! and your ped!

pastrygirl
05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
That's awesome!! :D

DrSally
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Great! Sounds like he was really listening!

lorinick
05-20-2008, 03:11 PM
That is GREAT! You should feel good, he listened and is educating other parents. Even if they don't all listen. Maybe it will get them thinking.

proudsahmof3
05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
My ped said the same thing at my son's twelve month appt. When I questioned her, and said that I thought he was supposed to be RF as long as possible, her response was "Well, he'll probably enjoy it a lot more." I think he would probably also enjoy oreos and soda for breakfast, but that's not gonna happen! What I would enjoy is for my son to be alive and unharmed in a car accident! Kudos to you for speaking up to the doc, I didn't have the nerve! I also encounter a lot of parents that think you are supposed to turn children FF at one year, they actually think that's the safer way, and I can see why if doctors are giving this sort of information.

elliput
05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Sometimes getting the word out takes time. It sounds like your ped was very receptive to the updated information. :cheerleader1:

I had a very positive experience at DD's ped when we went for her 15 month appt (over 2 years ago now). Upon asking the FF question and told DD was still RF and would be as long as possible, the NP said "good, that is much safer".

KrisM
05-20-2008, 10:10 PM
My ped has never mentioned the carseat situation. But, it is on the info form each time. At the 12 months, it did say something about FFing. At 15 months, I brought in printouts from AAP. At 18 months, the information was changed :).

I love our ped and that she and the office is open to new information. I'm glad yours is too!