PDA

View Full Version : In a Honda Pilot

jamsmu
05-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Can you put 3 carseats in the middle row? It would be roundabout -- snugride -- marathon.

I recall someone once saying that you can't put the carseat in the middle of a pilot, but I read the userguide for the pilot and can't find a reference to that.

TIA

eta-- 2nd question. Is there a booster ( a better one) that will fit in the 3rd row smaller seat? I borrowed a Graco high back booster (not sure which model) today that was too wide for that seat, in that the seatbelt buckle/latch was under the plastic of the booster and very difficult to get to.

Joolsplus2
05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Bumping... I know someone can help, even if I'm a little short on brain power this morning :ROTFLMAO:

shburks
05-20-2008, 01:06 PM
When we were looking to buy a Pilot last year, what I remember is that there wasn't LATCH there in the center and since it was the smaller seat since that's where the 60/40 split was, a carseat just didn't fit there easily. Maybe you have a different year model and that has been changed/modified. It kind of pushed the Pilot out of my mind for a while as I wanted ds in the middle of the backseat and it didn't seem very do-able.

ltmommy
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmm... I can't help with the booster seat, or really with the 3-in-a-row, but I do have a Pilot with 2 seats. I had the Snugride in the middle and MA on the passenger side, and I don't see why a RA wouldn't have fit on the driver side (other than my husband with his long legs would be able to put his seat back far enough). Currently I have RA in middle and Graco Nautilus on the passenger side. The deal with the middle seat is that there is no latch in the middle - but neither does DH's former car (Acura), current car (infinity), mom's new car (Hyundai), etc. I used the seatbelt with locking clip for the Snugride, and now the RA with its built-in clip, and it installs just fine. The middle seatbelt comes down from the ceiling, so it looks a little odd, but it works just fine.

My problem with this car hasn't been the width or the installation, but the depth back-to-front of the second row. I am not sure I could put a seat even FF behind DH. He doesn't seem to be that unusually tall (6'2"), but there is surprisingly little room in the second row when you put the driver seat back.

KrisM
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Do you have a BRU nearby? If so, I'd go and just try them out in the car. I got my 3-across fitting this way. I can't get the infant seat in the middle though, but it does fit on either outboard side.

Not a Pilot, by the way.

jamsmu
05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Totally curious, but I'm assuming you can't put 2 latches into the LATCH? I don't actually see a Britax piece fitting, but I'm just curious, could it fit 2 latch buckles (or whatever they're called) there?

I would be worried about strapping in a middle seat--hadn't thought of that.

Trying out a new booster in the 3rd row tomorrow. I can't remember which it is that I'm borrowing, but its from Whitney of MWS who reviewed it in the past. She says it fits nicely in the 3rd row of her Pilot, I'll see how it compares. Doesn't have tethering or LATCH, which bothers me a bit. I'd rather have that-- makes me feel more secure.

Joolsplus2
05-21-2008, 07:18 AM
No, never put two LATCH hooks on one anchor. And Honda has a 40 pound LATCH limit for one seat, and no LATCH in the middle, and with three across you probably won't use LATCH anyway (centers the seats so much they won't allow another seat in the middle). Long story short, just use seatbelts for all three, and an FF seat in the middle will be easiest to install with that wonky seatbelt :)

jamsmu
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
No, never put two LATCH hooks on one anchor. And Honda has a 40 pound LATCH limit for one seat, and no LATCH in the middle, and with three across you probably won't use LATCH anyway (centers the seats so much they won't allow another seat in the middle). Long story short, just use seatbelts for all three, and an FF seat in the middle will be easiest to install with that wonky seatbelt :)

Okay... that clarifies it! Thanks so much!

Joolsplus2
05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they'd just put LATCH that's good to a higher weight in ALL rear positions? Aaaah.... one day... we can dream... :D

jamsmu
05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
*sigh* It would... but that would just be too simple for modern times.