PDA

View Full Version : Snug Ride expiration question

jamsmu
05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I know some carseats expire after so many years. However my snugride does not include an expiration date. For how many years are the seats expected to last (before they expire)? Also, what is the rationale for the expiration?

Thanks to everyone who knows all the answers!

Joolsplus2
05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
No expiration date because it is good for 6 years from the Date Of Manufacture (and if it's creeping up on that old, check it for recalls).

:)

Joolsplus2
05-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh, and why do they expire? In part because plastic actually does break down and gets more brittle as it sits out in the heat and cold for years, but also because standards and regulations change, manufacturers don't want to be held responsible for keeping replacement parts on hand, and seats tend to lose parts and manuals as the years wear on (initially? they invented the 6 year limit because there were no airbag warnings on infant seats and dozens of kids were dying when airbags crushed them in their seats... if there's an expiration date then fewer kids are at risk next time some big change like that happens with cars).

jamsmu
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, Julie.

So, this one is born-on-dated January 27, 2003. I'm assuming I shouldn't plan to use it for the year of 2009, then?

o_mom
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
If you look on the bottom of the seat, somewhere should be an embossed stamp that says "Do not use after..." Graco is usually the December of the year 6 yrs after date of manufacture, so you *may* be OK. Personally, I would just get a new one since the newer ones are so much nicer (I had one of those 2003 snugrides for DS1 and DS2 and bought a SafeSeat for DS3).

BTW, did I miss an announcement? ;)

Piglet
05-20-2008, 06:36 AM
I'm assuming I shouldn't plan to use it for the year of 2009, then?

Hmmm... are you planning on needing a carseat next year?

WatchingThemGrow
05-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Hmmm... are you planning on needing a carseat next year?

LOL GREAT inference, Piglet!

Joolsplus2
05-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, get something better that's easier to install...and bigger, they are all bigger (taller) now, and with 2 other munchkins to chase around you will be SO happy you have a few extra months (18 extra months in some cases, with the Safeseat1, lol) to be able to leave the baby in nice cozy bucket sometimes.

jamsmu
05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
sorry--my cousin is due in October. :)

Joolsplus2
05-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Well, my advice still holds :D. Chicco Key Fit or Graco Safeseat 1 are by far the easiest to install and use properly :)

codex57
05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
The BabyBargains Blog says a new and improved SnugRide is coming soon.

Joolsplus2
05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
The BabyBargains Blog says a new and improved SnugRide is coming soon.
Yeah, everyone (but me...) heard about it at the Lifesaver's Conference this year...built in lockoff!!! I'll definitely recommend it once it hits store shelves (it'll be brisk competition for the Key Fit if you have seatbelts, IMO, since it's lighter than the SS1 but has the same lackluster LATCH system, I'm assuming).

saschalicks
05-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Jools,
How do you feel about the Maxi Cosi? If I have a third (don't start the spanish inquisition), I thought I might go that route. I'd like your thoughts on that one.

Joolsplus2
05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Requires the handle be put down...automatic 'no' in my book (though, also a friend of mine wasn't impressed with it for the price, if a couple other people *raved* about it, I might forgive it the handle thing and recommend it ;) )

jamsmu
05-20-2008, 11:38 PM
okay, so new snugride, keyfit or safeseat?

Which should it be?

Joolsplus2
05-21-2008, 07:09 AM
I haven't seen the new snugride yet, so that's why I didn't even mention it... KF or SS1 if you're shopping like, now.

codex57
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Aren't you due in October? New SnugRide is supposed to be out in August or something like that I think. Wait until August or Sept and see if it's out and ask again then. No sense buying it now. You just waste the life expectency of it.

All 3 are good choices. I just really would hold out for the new SnugRide b/c I love the convenience of leaing baby in it and moving the whole seat in and out of the car. The SnugRide, being so light, is especially convenient in that regards. That, plus me having a tight garage, makes the SnugRide more worth it than the bigger SafeSeat (cuz by 20 lbs or so, the baby is getting too heavy to lift in the seat anyways).

Piglet
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
We have the SS and while DD is too heavy (24 lbs) to be carried in it, it is still awesome for a few reasons:

1) it has a sunshade unlike the convertible she would have been in by now,
2) it is SO easy to install in other people's cars without the base (for travel and for babysitters)
3) there are still times when I do need the convenience of carrying it in or popping it into a stroller frame - i.e. at the doctor's office where I don't want her in my arms as she will insist on crawling around or for really quick in and outs when she is sleeping in the car.

I will be so sad when she outgrows the SS, but at 12.5 months, 30.5" and 24 lbs, she is still only on the second higest harnes slots, so we have a few months to go!

Joolsplus2
05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I loved my SS1... Leah outgrew all her other seats before she was walking... It was just a lifesaver to be able to strap her in in the house on a rainy morning (I park in my driveway, can't get my car into our attached garage...) and heft her out (23ish pounds, maybe) to the car.

HIU8
05-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I absolutely love my SS1. DD will be 12 months in 3 weeks and is about 23 lbs and roughly 31 inches. I don't take the seat out of the car unless it is for a quick trip (like dropping DS off at preschool), I love the convienience even now. Plus, the sunshade is perfect. We have an Odyssey with the built in sunshades that you pull up and hook at the top of the window, and I cannot see well out of the one by DD's carseat (she is behind the driver). I love that I can keep it down and she still has the sun shade on the seat to protect her. Also, this carseat is soooooooo easy to install that even DH could do it (teehee).

saschalicks
05-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Requires the handle be put down...automatic 'no' in my book (though, also a friend of mine wasn't impressed with it for the price, if a couple other people *raved* about it, I might forgive it the handle thing and recommend it ;) )
Very good to know. I have heard a rave, but your opinion is more important to me then that rave. Since I'm not pg (yet), I guess I could wait to see the new snugride, but for the record I HATED the old one.