PDA

View Full Version : FF too soon... and car seat clean-up

Piglet
05-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I was the one that posted the weigh-in thread, where the nurse told me that DD can be FF now that she is a mature, sophisticated 1 year old. I have an addendum to it... the nurse's prophecy was true. I think she is clairvoyant. Yesterday I took DD to the doctor because she was running a fever. I took her in her Safeseat because she was fussy and I didn't want to hold a squirmy baby in an icky waiting room. While waiting to get into the doctor, DD projectile vomited ALL OVER the SS... twice :( Needless to say, I had no way of using the seat and had to grudgingly put her in DS2's FF seat. Thankfully he wasn't with me and the drive home was under 5 minutes on residential streets. I stressed the whole way home.

So, my question is what do you do in a situation like that? I am imagining what would have happened had I not had the seat in my van or if DS2 was with me as well. What do you do??

Also, I threw the SS in the bathtub and hosed it down as best I could, using some dish soap to get it clean. I threw the cover in the wash and air-dried it. Is that okay?

Joolsplus2
05-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Eeewwwww!!!!!!

I would have done the same thing, absolutely!!!! I had to do the same thing to Leah's seat the other day after she threw up in it, actually...and If I'd had anything besides boosters in the car I'm sure I would have used an FF seat to get her out of the puke drenched one (we were driving 80 miles to the ren faire...she threw up on mile 40 of the way there :p).
I've been assured the puke smell will evaporate from the straps in a couple of weeks, I've already rinsed them in nature's miracle and water and don't want to do anything harsher to them (oh, try baking soda in a paste and rinse off...my harness doesn't come out of the seat so I'm waiting to see if the smell naturally dissipates...at least you can replace yours if you have to!)

:)

Neatfreak
05-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I would have had to use the pukey SS to get home as I don't have a second seat available in my car, FFing or otherwise. But if I did, I would have made the journey home FFing without blinking an eye. It's not the best practice, of course, but it's still acceptable, especially given the circumstances. No one gives out "Bad Mom" stickers if your child is FFing LOL!

WatchingThemGrow
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I keep a spare cover for our MA for that reason now. Sorry it happened. Most people just have to use it anyway!

belovedgandp
05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Yucky and no fun. Yep, you just stick them back in the puked on seat. I'd managed to make it until my older son was over 4 before we had a real puke in the carseat experience, but we did a couple of months ago and it was nasty. In the doctor's office parking lot. What is it about those places?

He was still strapped in right as I pulled into a spot and spewed all over his seat and the floor of the van - strawberries no less. Oh, and my less than 6 months old Odyssey.

I stripped him and changed his clothes to the emergency outfit in the van in the parking lot. Got up as much as I could in baby wipes out of the van. Went to our appointment. Had a very stinky ride home. Of course sitting back in the seat (a Radian) for the ride home trashed the back-up outfit, so everything around us smelled like puke for a couple of days.

The crotch buckle (plastic/metal workings) had the smell linger the longest, but after a week or two it did air out.

KrisM
05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
If I had an extra seat that was appropriate size-wise, I'd use it for sure.

Otherwise, back in the puke seat they go :).

lorinick
05-20-2008, 03:07 PM
I had this happen with DS1 first child no other seat. Changed his closes took the cover off put it in a bag. Put DS back in carseat without cover. You do what you have to do.