PDA

View Full Version : How do I get DS to stop sitting backwards on the toilet?

luvmypeanut
05-21-2008, 11:19 PM
He peed on himself sitting regularly so then he switched to standing on a stool but he couldn't completely clear the rim so then he got on backwards. Is there any harm in continuing to let him pee this way? I found out from DD that a family friend, who takes care of them sometimes, taught him to sit this way. :irked: She tends to overstep her bounds, but that's a topic for the Bitching Post.

JBaxter
05-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Maybe Im misunderstanding are you angry because your family friend showed him how to pee sitting backwards? Honestly after having 3 boys and several nephews, several of them use the toilet backwards it saves a ton of clean up. Ive seen it done alot. Do I think she overstepped her bounds NO. If a little guy who was at my house frequently was peeing on the toilet/wall floor or himself I would suggest a different / less messy way for him to use "my" toilet.

tarahsolazy
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
My DS has always stood to pee, but he sat backwards like that to poop for about a year. We convinced him that he should start sitting forwards when he was 4, so for a few months before his birthday he would say, "when I'm 4, I'm gonna sit front-wards on the potty". And guess what? He did, on his birthday! The backward thing was fine, it worked, it was less messy, etc.

kaitlinsmommy
05-22-2008, 11:57 PM
My ds hasn't done this *yet*. But dd went through a phase where she always sat backward on the potty. Who knows why; maybe it was more comfortable. I tried to no avail to get her to turn around, but eventually she gave it up. Kids are so funny. Just be sure to write it in your baby book :)

shburks
05-23-2008, 01:20 PM
DS did this, too, until he was tall enough to stand on the floor and pee in the potty. We called this "going potty like Daddy" (standing, that is!). It's just too high and too everywhere (for us anyway) for him to stand on a stool and pee standing up. My guess is that it will just figure itself out at some point.

GeekLady
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
No one is going to grade him on going potty, so who cares if he sits backwards or goes while in a handstand as long as he isn't making a mess?

lizajane
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
what's the problem?

luvmypeanut
05-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks so much for your replies. I just wanted to make sure there isn't any harm in letting him use the toilet this way.

mamaoftwins
05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
No one is going to grade him on going potty, so who cares if he sits backwards or goes while in a handstand as long as he isn't making a mess?

Yep! My nephew at about age 3 used to climb on the seat and get on all fours, facing the back and pee down into the toilet - at the time, he said he was "peepee-ing like spiderman". My DH & I just about died laughing the first time he climbed up there at our house. We just let him do it, and he stopped it after a few wks.