PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey, long trip, tons of cargo and DC possibly in 3rd seat...WWYD?

HIU8
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
We are taking a trip to 2 weddings and MIL's house in June. On the first leg it's just DD, DS, DH and myself. DS and DD will be in the second row of our Odyssey. Third row will be down to accomodate enough stuff for 2 weeks away and 2 hotel stays along with a week stay at MIL house. Every time we have gone to MIL's we have just laid our things in the back and not thought about it. After 1st wedding we are taking MIL and going back to her house. Third row will need to be put back up (at least part of it) so I can sit back there. MIL cannot get into the back row (bad foot) so she sits upfront with DH. It just occured to me that I will be back there with all of our stuff (not tied down) and DS and DD could also possibly be hurt if anything were to happen and stuff went flying (at any point during each leg of our trip). 2nd wedding we are taking MIL and a friend so all the seats will be occupied and only the cargo area in the very back will be packed (not as much stuff as we are leaving most of it at MIL's house).

Now, for the question...is there something from Honda or aftermarket that can be used to go on top of (or somehow secure) cargo from flying up and hurting anyone?

bubbaray
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Do you have a new Ody with the 8th seat? That's what we use on roadtrips if I need to get back there or we end up with an extra passenger. On family trips, our dog and his large crate, along with the double stroller, PNP take up the folded-down 3rd row cargo area. We use duffle bags instead of suitcases and usually put those in the 2nd row, on the floor.

IIRC you can get a cargo net for the Ody, check with your dealer. We've never bothered b/c it wouldn't be strong enough to hold down a double stroller or PNP or a large dog crate with 85lbs of lab in it. You could also try bungee-ing things down.

I have a 2005 Ody and one of the main problems I have with it is that there aren't really any suitable tie-downs for cargo. Not sure if the newer ones have more tie downs.

HTH

o_mom
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I have done 2-3 week trips, with hotel stays up and back and never needed to put the third row down. It is quite amazing how much stuff (4 suitcases, 2 pack n' plays, stroller, etc) that can fit behind that third row. I personally would use a car-top carrier instead of putting the third row down. That would also allow you/DH to sit in the second row to entertain the kids on the way down.

HIU8
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
We have a 2006 with the 8th seat which we have stored in our basement b/c DS is in the 2nd row passenger seat which is pushed towards the center, so there is access to the third row. We are not planning on putting it in the car b/c it is very narrow and not super comfy for a long road trip. in between 2 carseats.

We will have a bedrail, 4 suitcases, pnp, 2 strollers, cooler (which will be up with us) hanging clothes for the weddings, toys, diapers, placemats, bibs, plastic cups, bowls and silverware (the take n toss stuff) plus other things I cannot remember now. Also we will have 2 other passengers with two more suitcases.

In light of the price of gas and the fact that this trip will be close to 2,000 miles round trip, we are trying to figure out which is the best option---pack the car as much as possible and get a cargo net or use a cartop carrier (not sure which option will end up using more gas. We have calculated that this trip will cost us over $500 in gas).

bubbaray
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
We have a 2006 with the 8th seat which we have stored in our basement b/c DS is in the 2nd row passenger seat which is pushed towards the center, so there is access to the third row. We are not planning on putting it in the car b/c it is very narrow and not super comfy for a long road trip. in between 2 carseats.

We will have a bedrail, 4 suitcases, pnp, 2 strollers, cooler (which will be up with us) hanging clothes for the weddings, toys, diapers, placemats, bibs, plastic cups, bowls and silverware (the take n toss stuff) plus other things I cannot remember now. Also we will have 2 other passengers with two more suitcases.

In light of the price of gas and the fact that this trip will be close to 2,000 miles round trip, we are trying to figure out which is the best option---pack the car as much as possible and get a cargo net or use a cartop carrier (not sure which option will end up using more gas. We have calculated that this trip will cost us over $500 in gas).

The 8th seat isn't that uncomfy, actually. I've sat back there for many 500 mile each-way trips (in between DD#1's FFg RN and DD#2's RFg MA). Its not a huge deal to move the seats around (though, to be honest, I delegate that job to DH!).

In your OP you said you would have 1 extra passenger, MIL. If you have 2 other passengers, obviously you have to use the 3rd row.

The weight of the cargo/people will be the same whether it is inside or on top of the car. However, as soon as you put any accessory on top of a vehicle, your mileage drops. I've never done it on my Ody, but on DH's Pathfinder, he's actually calculated the difference and its 20% less/worse fuel economy with just his unused ski rack on top.

I would really encourage you to consider duffle bags instead of suitcases. LL Bean has cute ones and you can get a different color for each person (on my list of to do's -- all of ours are black). Packing is soooooo much easier when you can wedge duffles into various places. Plus, they make comfy footrests for older kids (so their legs don't fall asleep in the car seat).

I'd also encourage you to do a test-pack and see if there is stuff you can leave behind. For example, if you have a stroller with toddler step (like a P3 or Zippy), perhaps you could take that instead of taking 2 strollers.

o_mom
05-22-2008, 02:52 PM

Really, unless you are taking a huge stroller or something else huge, I can see this fitting. The Bedrail can most likely go under the third seat. You can put packages of diapers under the second row seats. Cooler is up front. Bibs and feeding stuff can go in the diaper bag - under the RF seat in the second row. PNP, 4-5 suitcases, garment bag and two smaller strollers should fit back there. When you have the extra person, you are leaving stuff at MILs, so no worry there. If you use duffle bags for the kids' clothes, they can be put in front of a FF seat (under their feet). Toy bags go up front anyway.

Also, you can cut down on some things like diapers by planning to buy them when you get there. Just take 10-12 for each kid and then buy a small package at Walmart when you arrive. Two sippy cups for each kid should be plenty.

HIU8
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Even with the 8th seat we would still need the 3rd row. One leg of the trip we will have 2 extra passengers. Otherwise it will just be MIL as the extra person. DH would be moving the seats of the car, but I would be doing the carseats (DH just doesn't get them as secure as I can for some reason).

We do have some soft sided cases, not duffles that I am going to take out. DH and I usually pack together and DS and DD will be packed together so that may eliminate some issues. Right now we are taking a P3 and possibly a twin rally. DS will stand on the toddler step, but does get tired and likes to ride also. Plus, I forgot that we have storage under the floor between the front and second rows. I think I can fit packs of diapers down there at least.

o_mom
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I think you will be surprised to find that you really don't need to fold the third row down. Between the storage under the RF seat, putting something under DS's feet and under the seats, you can probably get it all in without the 3rd row being down.

Also, if I'm counting right, you will have a max of 6 people. That 7th seat can be used for a bag if you strap it in with the seatbelt. I usually put DS1's bag of toys on the seat next to him and run the seatbelt through the straps. I might skip the P3 and just do the Twin rally. At least put the P3 on the "bump" list.

HIU8
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm planning it out in my head now as to where to put everything in the car. Since we are going to weddings in two unfamiliar places I've pretty much gotten everything ahead of time rather than getting there and hunting for a target etc. Thankfully, we will come home with less than we started out with (that is unless MIL loads us up with other stuff).