PDA

View Full Version : ? about not using base

lorinick
05-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used there Peg or Graco car seats without the base? A friend asked me if I would. She is going on vaction and doesn't want to take the base. But will be getting in and out of cars using the seat without the base. What do you guys think?

MontrealMum
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
We've used our Graco Snugride a few times without the base (grandparents, rental car) - installed with the belt since we don't have latch. There wasn't too much complaining from DH so it couldn't have been too bad (he's pretty good about making those sorts of feelings known!). You either lose the ease of carrying a sleeping baby inside, or have to re-install the seat all the time, but that might be worth not having to lug the base as well? I couldn't really say since I don't know exactly why your friend doesn't want to take it, or what her situation is? I guess it also depends on the age of the child and their sleep habits. DS stopped sleeping in the car around 6-7 mos. :( so it wasn't like waking him to take him out was an issue.

niccig
05-23-2008, 02:00 AM
I've done it with a Graco snugride. It's not difficult once you know how. Have her practice a few times. I did find having the base more convenient, so we put it in the luggage (we had so much stuff, a bit more didn't hurt), and then on the plane we just took the infant carrier.

Joolsplus2
05-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Can you even use the newest Peg's without the base yet? The older ones definitely didn't allow it (there are no belt guides on the top of the seat by the kiddo's knees, is the main hint).
But yeah, it takes a little practice and it will feel a little more wobbly, but if the lapbelt is twanging like a guitar string and the head can't be pushed down easily, that's a good installation. www.carseatsite.com has videos of proper installation to give her some ideas what it should look like.
:)

Piglet
05-23-2008, 11:41 AM
We use our Safeseat without the base at least 1-2 times a week. We only have 1 base and never missed having the 2nd one. It installs really easy without the base (I even think my install is better without it). You just need to practice it and you will be surprised how easy it will be. I used our Snugride without the base too and it was equally easy (it's the same set-up).

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I did some hunting around online and the PPV seats seem to have been able to be used without the base around 2006. I'm in Canada though, so not sure if that applies to the PPV in the US. Check the manual to be sure.

ETA: Here's the link to the new PPV SIP that says it can be used w/o the base:

http://www.pegperego.com/page.php?sid=7947716719f62398e97eb4880238f029&pageid=UJVNL001&idf=06&idp=0000000159&cl=N

The SnugRide is pretty easy to use without the base.

mom2binsd
05-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Our snugride base fit easily into a duffle bag and we checked it (and it didn't count as luggage as I showed the agent it was a "carseat"....I found the snugride a bit of a PITA to install each time and DD was only 4 months old...I was in and out a lot visiting friends and didn't feel like reinstalling...the base makes it so much easier but it's up to your friend if she wants to reinstall the seat each time or leave the seat in the car and pull out the baby each time (not my choice but maybe she wouldn't mind doing that).

As well...depending on the car being used it can be more of a pain as not all seatbelts lock the same etc...