PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a used roundabout

KBecks
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
A MOMs club friend is selling 2 used Britax roundabouts for $50 at her garage sale this weekend. Since I know the family, I think we would be OK to purchase one.

We'd use it for the new baby. Does this sound like an acceptable plan?

Otherwise I would be inclined to use one of our 2 marathons for the baby and move Alek into some sort of older child 5 point seat when the babe outgrows the Graco Snugride, probably around Jan 08. Alek will be 4 then, he's kind of a big kid but nowhere near the Marathon limits I don't think.

Joolsplus2
05-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Sure, as long as you trust her it's never been in a crash... :)

niccig
05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
If you're worried about the straps as many people do throw them in the washing machine, you can buy a new set pretty cheaply too.

niccig
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Selling it locally may be better as then you don't have to worry about shipping costs. My Blvd shipped to Seattle was $45, the Regent is much heavier.

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Its a comfort level thing, IMO. Personally, I wouldn't buy used, that's just my personal comfort level (or lack thereof).

When do your MA's expire? That would be the determinant for me. If its soon, I'd buy Alek a new seat(s) when the baby outgrows the SnugRide and use the MAs for for the baby. If the MAs will take you up to when the baby is say 3 or so, you could move Alek into a HBB and use his formerly new seats for the baby FFg. I'd consider the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.

KBecks
05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Its a comfort level thing, IMO. Personally, I wouldn't buy used, that's just my personal comfort level (or lack thereof).

When do your MA's expire? That would be the determinant for me. If its soon, I'd buy Alek a new seat(s) when the baby outgrows the SnugRide and use the MAs for for the baby. If the MAs will take you up to when the baby is say 3 or so, you could move Alek into a HBB and use his formerly new seats for the baby FFg. I'd consider the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.

Oh Melissa, I'm so out of the loop on carseat abbreviations - is HBB a high back booster?

Alek's Marathon was purchased when he was about 3-4 months old, so our purchase date would be early 2005, I'd guess the manufacture date is 2004. Now a seat has about 5 years lifespan, right? So I'd guess Alek's Marathon has about 1.5 years of life left? I would think that we'd be done with it when he physically outgrows it.

I'm so not up on the "new" carseats. I love Britax clasps, etc. they are so easy. I had made a note to look at the Regent -- is the Frontier better for Alek's age?

I have no hangups about buying a used carseat from this person, I emailed her to check and see how old the seats are -- if they're too old it's probably not worth it to me.

The only other factor is that Alek will ride in DH's car to preschool in the fall. We have a cheap convertible that I actually need to see if Alek still technically would fit into -- maybe not because I've been spoiled by the Marathon. I may need a seat for DH's car, but I don't think Alek would fit into a roundabout anymore either.

ETA: Our "extra" convertible is a Cosco Touriva. I'll need to check to see if it's recall-free and what the limits are. OK it maxes out at 40 pounds FFing, so Alek probably needs a new extra seat for Dad's car. I think he's close to 40 pounds -- I can't believe I still carry him as much as I do!

Thanks so much for the help!

KrisM
05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
When do the Roundabouts expire?
When do the Marathons expire?

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
When do the Roundabouts expire?
When do the Marathons expire?

Both of my MAs expire 6 years after DOM. But, always check your manual.

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh Melissa, I'm so out of the loop on carseat abbreviations - is HBB a high back booster?

Alek's Marathon was purchased when he was about 3-4 months old, so our purchase date would be early 2005, I'd guess the manufacture date is 2004. Now a seat has about 5 years lifespan, right? So I'd guess Alek's Marathon has about 1.5 years of life left? I would think that we'd be done with it when he physically outgrows it.

I'm so not up on the "new" carseats. I love Britax clasps, etc. they are so easy. I had made a note to look at the Regent -- is the Frontier better for Alek's age?

I have no hangups about buying a used carseat from this person, I emailed her to check and see how old the seats are -- if they're too old it's probably not worth it to me.

The only other factor is that Alek will ride in DH's car to preschool in the fall. We have a cheap convertible that I actually need to see if Alek still technically would fit into -- maybe not because I've been spoiled by the Marathon. I may need a seat for DH's car, but I don't think Alek would fit into a roundabout anymore either.

Thanks so much for the help!

Sorry, yes -- HBB = high backed booster.

Check your manual, but both of my MAs expire 6 yrs from DOM (not purchase date). So, you might have 2.5 years left.

If Alek no longer fits into the seat in your DH's car and you need to get him a new one, I'd go with a Nautilus or Frontier. The Nautilus is cheaper, so might be good for a car that gets less use, KWIM?

Could the baby use that spare seat??

I doubt Alek could still fit in the RB, but I suppose its possible....

We got DD#1 RN just before DD#2 was born, thinking we would put DD#2straight into DD#1's old MA. Well, the hospital wasn't too impressed with that idea, so we did use our SnugRide for a couple of months with DD#2, then put her into DD#1's old MA. BUT, I was actually glad we had put DD#1 into a RN prior to DD#2's birth -- I was on restrictions and couldn't help DD#1 into the MA. She could easily climb into the RN by herself (she had needed help with the MA), which was GREAT when I was huge and couldn't lift more than my purse.

mom2binsd
05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Check your Touriva's too...both of mine had these notches under the cover...by the head area... this has been discussed in the past as a possible safety issue and the Chicago Tribune did an article on it...Car-seat.org has an extensive thread on it too...both of mine have the notch and so I choose to stop using them and get something else...just something else to throw into your thinking!

I'd say if the Roudabouts are not too old and you are comfortable which it sounds like you are...then it would be great to have them...I really hate my non Britax seats..we hardly use our Apex 65 but it seems each time DH takes DD somewhere he manages to twist the straps!

KBecks
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Sorry, yes -- HBB = high backed booster.

Check your manual, but both of my MAs expire 6 yrs from DOM (not purchase date). So, you might have 2.5 years left.

If Alek no longer fits into the seat in your DH's car and you need to get him a new one, I'd go with a Nautilus or Frontier. The Nautilus is cheaper, so might be good for a car that gets less use, KWIM?

Could the baby use that spare seat??

I doubt Alek could still fit in the RB, but I suppose its possible....

We got DD#1 RN just before DD#2 was born, thinking we would put DD#2straight into DD#1's old MA. Well, the hospital wasn't too impressed with that idea, so we did use our SnugRide for a couple of months with DD#2, then put her into DD#1's old MA. BUT, I was actually glad we had put DD#1 into a RN prior to DD#2's birth -- I was on restrictions and couldn't help DD#1 into the MA. She could easily climb into the RN by herself (she had needed help with the MA), which was GREAT when I was huge and couldn't lift more than my purse.

I am loving your replies, except -- what's an RN -- is that a Radian?

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I am loving your replies, except -- what's an RN -- is that a Radian?

Yup! RN = Radian :)

KBecks
05-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I've decided I will get one of the used roundabouts (exp 2010), use it for Johnny and put the 2nd Marathon in DH's car for school this fall. So I'll have

Alek - Marathon
Johnny - Roundabout
Babe - SnugRide

Then when the babe outgrows the SnugRide, I'll get Alek a Regent or Frontier, put the babe in the Roundabout and Johnny in the Marathon. I think this will save us a little money / time.

I looked for the notches on the Touriva and can't find them. I think I will take the Touriva to consignment or donate it. I hate the clasps and seriously never want to ever use it.

Thank you everyone for your help!

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I've decided I will get one of the used roundabouts (exp 2010), use it for Johnny and put the 2nd Marathon in DH's car for school this fall. So I'll have

Alek - Marathon
Johnny - Roundabout
Babe - SnugRide

Then when the babe outgrows the SnugRide, I'll get Alek a Regent or Frontier, put the babe in the Roundabout and Johnny in the Marathon. I think this will save us a little money / time.

I looked for the notches on the Touriva and can't find them. I think I will take the Touriva to consignment or donate it. I hate the clasps and seriously never want to ever use it.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Sounds like a plan -- except I'd keep the Touriva. You never know when you might need a spare seat in case someone pukes or has a nasty blowout.... ;)

KBecks
05-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Ack, I've changed my mind after laying in bed last night thinking about the years and expirations. It seems we would need to get the babe a new carseat eventually anyway, as it will expire before the babe is big enough for a booster type seat.

And DH is getting finicky because he only wants Marathons that match in our minivan -- go figure.

So, I'll need to get a booster-y, older kid seat for Alek for DH's car for school for fall, and then he will stay in his Marathon and we'll get the babe a new Marathon or something like that when s/he outgrows the SnugRide.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little baffled by all the booster stuff, but think we'll stick with Britax unless the Graco clips and straps are really nice.

Thanks again!

KrisM
05-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Both of my MAs expire 6 years after DOM. But, always check your manual.

Yes, but I don't know when she bought them :).

I was just thinking that if she has to replace the MAs in a year or the RAs in a year then it is probably not worth it.