PDA

View Full Version : Need a Nighttime Solution for 3.5 YO

shburks
05-23-2008, 02:49 PM
My daytime potty trained 3.5 yo ds is soaked every night--often through his jammies and the sheets--and I'm at a loss for what to do. Night time Pull-Ups don't hold him and neither do GoodNites. Any other suggestions??

Susan

Wife_and_mommy
05-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Have you tried the nite dipes with doublers inside? I use menstrual pads(heavy flow ones) but grocery stores and BRU sell packs of 30/$2.99. It's worth a try.

Another thought would be to check a medical supply store or like for a reusable "chux" type pad. You could wash that when needed.

Hth. Night leakage is the worst!

HIU8
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
some suggestions:

Put one of those pads that are used to keep the bed dry under the sheet but on top of the mattress pad. At least that way you won't have to change the mattress pad each time.

For DD I use diaper doublers b/c she leaks through size 5 overnights and it really works well for her.

For DS I have gone back and forth with not allowing liquids after 7 pm. It doesn't seem to matter with him, but a nighttime pull up holds him.

Have DS wear socks to bed. My DS hates being under the covers but will wear socks and use a really thin blanket. That sometimes does the trick (not always).

FWIW, I was big bed wetter until age 9. I sleep very deeply and I pretty much wet my bed every single night.

Joolsplus2
05-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I put my dd on a huge super thick double beach towel folded in half... that was a lot easier to wash than sheets every morning :). Polar fleece pants or shorts (that's what the cloth diapering mamas use as a cover for a fitted dipe, it really dissipates pee...I get them cheap from kidsurplus.com and will cut some into shorts for summer)...or a fleece cloth diaper cover over pullups (more spendy, but there are some really cute ones).

:)

lizajane
05-23-2008, 11:10 PM
stop liquids immediately after dinner.
go potty RIGHT before bed and again before YOU go to bed. (mine could sleep through this and still pee!)
use fleece shorts over the goodnight (or whatever)
add a doubler inside.

shburks
05-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I have a couple of follow up questions for you! (I was definitely a CD mama, so I'm not opposed to or clueless about cloth stuff just NEVER did it overnight!).

wife_and_mommy: So, you use heavy flow menstrual pads or some sort of disposable diaper doubler? I've never seen the diaper doublers before.

HIU8: I'm doing the pad thing underneath the sheet already. It does help keep the mattress pad dry, but I'm still washing sheets. Besides, if he's in a funny position in the morning, sometimes he still soaks through the mattress pad, too, and misses that waterproof pad! What kind of diaper doublers are you using?

Jools/LizaJane: Where do you get fleece shorts? Or should I be looking for a fleece diaper cover? HELP!

Susan

shburks
05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
LizaJane--Another question for you. I was just telling dh that we might need to consider having ds potty before we go to bed, but how do you do that? Pull down his jammies and have him sit? Stand? Can't figure out the logisitics on this one!!

Susan

lizajane
05-27-2008, 08:44 AM
LizaJane--Another question for you. I was just telling dh that we might need to consider having ds potty before we go to bed, but how do you do that? Pull down his jammies and have him sit? Stand? Can't figure out the logisitics on this one!!

Susan

if i can find my windpro fleece shorts (that i made for schuyler) i will send them to you. :)

we would pick him up and remove jammies and sit him on the potty, or kinda lean him over it (as though standing, but really, we are holding him.) for dylan, i would have to rub his tummy. and i kinda whispered "go pee pee" in his ear. my friends with a girl would just sit her down and she would go. of course, with a boy, if you sit him down you have to make sure he leans over so the pee ends up IN the potty on NOT on the floor!

shburks
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
if i can find my windpro fleece shorts (that i made for schuyler) i will send them to you. :)

we would pick him up and remove jammies and sit him on the potty, or kinda lean him over it (as though standing, but really, we are holding him.) for dylan, i would have to rub his tummy. and i kinda whispered "go pee pee" in his ear. my friends with a girl would just sit her down and she would go. of course, with a boy, if you sit him down you have to make sure he leans over so the pee ends up IN the potty on NOT on the floor!

Great info, Lizajane. I really appreciate that!! I would LOVE if you could find those shorts. I'd be so glad to pay you for them. I have often read your posts over the years and have trusted your advice and seen pics of your beautiful work!

Oh, and thanks for the tips on nighttime peeing with a boy!

Susan

HIU8
05-27-2008, 04:37 PM
My mom actually found a waterproof pad the size of a twin mattress (for my grandmother who had Alzheimer's and wet her bed regularly). I think she found it at Walmart or Baby's R Us. I will ask her. That way the entire bed is covered. Also, I know some folks who put the waterproof pad on top of the sheets so they don't have to change the sheets (would work with a full size pad I think).

The diaper doublers I use are called "Diaper Doublers, The Drier Way to Diaper". They are made by Tyco Healthcare Retail Group, Inc. The website they give on the package is www.thenurseryroom.com and the number is 800-262-0042. I get them at my local grocery store. Target does not sell any type of diaper doubler (at least not in my area).