PDA

View Full Version : What's an early 30-something mom to wear?

maiaann
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I need some friendly fashion advice. I'm 31 years old and having a terrible time finding clothes these days. Practical, affordable, comfortable, clothing that I like - that is. I'm a SAHM of two girls - so anything goes.

It seems that stores cater to two ends of the spectrum. On one hand, you have your "mom" clothes. Not to point fingers, but you find a lot of these styles in the misses sections of various dept stores. It's stuff I remember my mom wearing when I was a kid. I feel too "young" to wear a lot of those styles. Then there are my used to be favorite stores - Gap/Old Navy/American Eagle, etc. Is it just me, or do those clothes seem to be catering to younger and younger crowds. Occasionally I find something that I like & fits well at Gap or AE but it seems a lot of the cuts and styles they offer just won't work anymore on my untoned, 2 children later, post baby body. (Plus, I feel really weird shopping in those stores with my 2 kids & stroller amongst all the teenagers - is that silly?) I've occasionally had luck at Eddie Bauer & Macy's - but it's usually hit or miss.

I'm frustrated because all I wear these days are tee shirts and jeans. When my youngest was still in the spitting up phase, that was fine. But now that my youngest is a walking, talking toddler and my oldest is in grade school I'd like to look nicer.

Where do you shop?

Wife_and_mommy
05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I feel your pain! Shopping for kid's clothes is much easier so I almost never shop for myself and it shows. I have some nice things but not nearly enough to look nice every day of the week.

I usually find comfortable and flattering clothes at Eddie Bauer(tops) and Talbots(bottoms and tops). I like ATLoft but several shirts I bought in Feb. were toast by May--not worth it, imo. I also loved AT before my #2. Doesn't fit me as well anymore. FYI, I shop all these on sale/clearance.

I also find that looking for clothes with more style than just a tshirt is key.

Hth. I don't like feeling frumpy and try hard to dress nicely no matter what our activities are on any given day.

bubbaray
05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I guess it depends on where you live and how people dress. Lululemon Athletica clothes are pretty much the "uniform" where I live, regardless of age. Its a very casual look (yoga pants, hoodie), but I see people wearing head-to-toe Lululemon pretty much everywhere. When I'm not at work (I work outside the home, but am able to work AT home two days most weeks when I'm not in court), I wear mostly Lululemon stuff, or faux-Lulu stuff. Costco often sells yoga pants that I like better than Lulu ones (Tuff Athletics is their brand).

I'm wearing a LE denim skirt (see my other post on that) today, with a white t-shirt and a Lululemon hoodie. I could go to the store, the mall, dr's appt, etc. here and not feel underdressed.

g-mama
05-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Lately, I buy most of my clothes from either Lucy, Ann Taylor Loft or Gap. I never shop department stores (too much to look at and usually not my style). I am upper 30s and refuse to have that "mom" look, but also do not dress like a teen. Those stores are pretty much where I find the look that I am going for.

ThreeofUs
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I find myself without the time or inclination to shop, and since I'm pretty frugal I want the best deals I can find. As I also demand to be at least a little stylish, this pretty well limits me to doing my buying online.

I haunt LE overstocks and LLBean sale - both have pretty classic styles that can be dressed up, dressed younger, or dressed down. Talbot's on-line is also another favorite, but is more expensive.

Piglet
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Ann Taylor Loft is my favourite store for just about everything. They have great end of season sales and everything I buy is classic looking but not too "old" if that makes sense. I also have Lululemon hoodies as a staple in my wardrobe. I am not comfortable wearing yoga pants, but I love hoodies. They are great for keeping things covered up and minimzing my unsighty muffin top. I also live in skirts in the summer. I feel SO much more put together in a skirt than in shorts. Cute shoes help too!

tsem
05-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I am mid thirties and my youngest is 17months so I am also looking for a little more that shorts and a tshirt. Believe it or not but Target has some cute things right now. I just got this skirt:
http://www.target.com/Merona-Lace-Peasant-Skirt-White/dp/B0013D2LMS/sr=1-4/qid=1211579697/ref=sr_1_4/602-8544635-9659800?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Awomen%20white%20peasant%20skirt&page=1

My friend had it on the other day with a tank and it was really cute. It looks much better IRL than online. Also, I have bought a few staples from Boden for myself. It is easier finding clothes for my 4 yr old than myself but I am tired of buying her all the cute stuff!
Traci

theCAS
05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Anthropologie, Banana Republic, Boden, Harold's, Ann Taylor, AT Loft, and occasionally BCBG for non-basics: pants, skirts, and dresses. Gap and Old Navy for basics like t-shirts, tank tops, cotton pants, etc. I've all but given up on department stores, except Nordstrom's.

I also like H&M, but we don't have one here. Some of their clothes definitely fall into the way too young category but others are good and and very reasonably priced. You just have to spend a little more time looking for things you might like.

I'm in my mid-30s and love to shop. I buy things mostly on-sale or try to I can get more for my money this way! Being pregnant has been kind of hard on me because my wardrobe is so limited. Although, the upside is that I have less clothing issues in the morning because my choices are limited!

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
ATL, Gap, Banana Republic and H&M are my picks for normal, running around town clothes. I aged out of AE and the likes of those stores back in college, I think. :)

Beth

tnrnchick74
05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
I like Banana Republic for a lot of things. Old Navy for yoga pants, tshirts, etc. And I do a lot of shopping in TJMaxx, Ross, Marshall's as well.

kozachka
05-24-2008, 09:35 AM
In addition to the stores that have been mentioned already, I've bought a few things (jeans, dress and a blouse) from Lucky Jeans Store, their clothes have this amazing soft finish and Ralph Lauren. We also have t-shirts from Tommy Hilfiger outlet/sale and I have found few things at Armani Exchange store but there I have to try everything in person. And I keep a watchfull eye on higher-end department store's websites for sales, when combined with codes they offer even better deals than TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Ross, which I like to shop at as well. That's how I was able to buy Diane von Funstenberg dresses, 7 by All Mankind jeans and Nanette Lapore skirt.

Also since I tend to wear things for more than one season I don't mind paying a bit more these days. Some times I almost have to as I am not in as good of a shape to get away with wearing less nicely made things. I can certainly affort it, it's more of a mental thing since I come from the country where most people, including my parents, are making about $200-$300 per person per month, if that much.

vludmilla
05-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm very tall so I find my options more limited but I like Boden, Gap, BR (although not so much lately-it looks like "resort wear" or something), AT occasionally, and Jcrew. I definitely need to branch out but I need long pants and tops which won't show off my middle ;)

egoldber
05-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I love ATL and Lucy. I like lululemon but their stuff is a bit rich for my blood! Maybe I justhaven't learned their sale cycle. I also have a fair bit of mama Hanna that I adore! :) And I also love a lot of the LLBean and LE basics. LE especially is doing a lot of Lucy/lululemon knock-offs.

bubbaray
05-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I love ATL and Lucy. I like lululemon but their stuff is a bit rich for my blood! Maybe I justhaven't learned their sale cycle. I also have a fair bit of mama Hanna that I adore! :) And I also love a lot of the LLBean and LE basics. LE especially is doing a lot of Lucy/lululemon knock-offs.

Alas, Lululemon doesn't *have* a sale cycle. I used to live 2 blocks from their first location in Kits and have never ever seen even so much as a pair of socks on sale. Most of their stuff sells out within a couple of days of hitting shelves. I've also noticed that Lululemon stuff on eBay seems to sell for close to double the store prices (but like I said, the stores are usually sold out of the good/new items).

1964pandora
05-24-2008, 01:21 PM
How much does your typical Lululemon outfit cost? I've been meaning to check them out, but I'm addicted to on-line shopping, and I'd have to actually go in the Lululemon store...

I would add Garnet Hill to the list for places to look for stylish but not too trendy stuff. I buy all of my pants at Boden. I would buy everything else from J Crew, since I think they're the most stylish of all the brands we've mentioned, but it's too spendy for me. I have heard great things about LL Bean lately. I'm hearing that it's not your mother's LL Bean anymore, so I've been meaning to check it out.

Susan

bubbaray
05-24-2008, 02:35 PM
How much does your typical Lululemon outfit cost? I've been meaning to check them out, but I'm addicted to on-line shopping, and I'd have to actually go in the Lululemon store...

I'm not sure what the US prices are. I've heard that they have priced their stuff lower in the US stores at first, when they are new to the market. Their Canadian prices range from $89 for a hoodie, $89 for yoga pants, but crops might be $79 or so. Add a $49 tank and you're well over $200.

g-mama
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I would add Garnet Hill to the list for places to look for stylish but not too trendy stuff.

I second this. I've gotten quite a few things from Garnet Hill and have loved it all. Definitely my style.

MontrealMum
05-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Since I am having a bit of trouble returning to my pre-preg. size, I am mixing pieces from LLBean with things from JCrew, Banana, and department stores (I like Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Jackpot, Nine West, Dana Buchman). Pre-baby I did a lot of shopping at the Gap for basics (but haven't been there lately), and Ann Taylor for "work" type things. I am a big sale shopper so I also frequent the Rack and TJMaxx (and its Canadian equivalent - Winners). I don't think I've bought anything at American Eagle since highschool, or Express, or Abercrombie either - it's all junior sizing and way too young looking. I don't do much Old Navy either (except for basic tees/tanks) because I prefer to spend a bit more for something that is better quality and has a bit of shape to it. I did do alot of Eddie Bauer in the past, but we don't have one up here - it's OK mixed with something a bit hipper like BR or JCrew. And I really like Lucky jeans - they're the only non-mom jeans that still fit me! I also find that a pair of trendy or wild shoes can really up the non-mom factor of an outfit. :)

beachmoms
05-25-2008, 05:09 PM
My vote is for Gap Maternity. They have great quality clothes and of course you still get the recent Gap styles, just in their Maternity clothes instead. Check online to see where the closest maternity store is to you, all the Gap stores do not carry maternity.

lizajane
05-25-2008, 05:26 PM
if i had the money, i would get everything at jcrew, banana republic and ann taylor.

salsah
05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
if i had the money, i would get everything at jcrew, banana republic and ann taylor.

i agree. those are great choices for casual or dressy or work.

trales
05-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I am pretty much all Bannana Republic for pants and H&M for tops. Sometimes gap and department stores. But 80% of my wardrobe is BR and H&M.

teedeedee
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Another thumbs up for Ann Taylor Loft here. I love the clothes and if you go during the big sales you can really get some great deals!