PDA

View Full Version : When to buy nursing bras?

shaee
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I am due on 6th june. i was wondering should i go ahead and buy the nursing bras now? I dont think my milk has come in yet...

how does this work?
Thanks

Melbel
05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I am scheduled for my CS on June 2nd, so we are in the same boat! Your milk will not come in until several days after giving birth. With my DD1 (2nd child) my milk came in on day 2, which is early. You will know when it happens - trust me! This week, I went ahead and bought a couple of nursing bras ($43 Bravados on sale for $20 each) to have at the hospital. I had to guess on my expected size. I have foud that generally, after my milk comes in, my cup size goes up and the back measurement down (i.e. from a 38C to a 36D). Once everything stabilizes with BF, my cup size tends to go back down. For variations in back measurement, I have found bra strap extenders to be a very helpful and inexpensive solution. For fluctuation in cup size, I try to find a bra with some stretch or have bras in a couple of sizes.

Good luck!

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I would wait. I went and got fitted after my milk came in. Both births I have gone up about 2 cup sizes though so if you want to get 1 or 2 cheaper bras or tanks to have on hand you can guesstimate like that. I wouldn't invest now b/c you don't know your size or what style you'll ultimately like. If you do buy make sure the store has a good return policy.

Beth

Melbel
05-23-2008, 10:35 PM
oh $20 sounds good.. was it an online deal?

I think i will buy just a couple now and then once the baby comes... and milk comes then i can go for more...

bras r so expensive... its would be really sad if i cant use the ones i buy now! But thanks for your advice!

I found them by chance at a local shop, but they do have a website. I tried on about 15 bras and settled on a couple that seemed like they will work. I tried some inexpensive ones from Target too, including the tanks, and they just did not work for me at all. Everyone's shapes and preferences are so different. At $20 each, I was willing to take the risk. They also had bras by Anita for $20. If you know of any Bravado or Anita bras that you like and know your size, it may be worth giving them a call to see if they have what you want in stock at the $20 price. My favorite was the lightly padded bra from Bella Materna, which is very smooth under shirts like my normal bras. Unfortunately, they were full price so I am waiting until my size stabilizes before making the investment.

http://www.shoppematernity.com/

egoldber
05-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I would also wait. If your hospitals has a breastfeeding center you can get fitted while you are in the hospital.

The release of the placenta is what triggers your body's hormonal response to start producing breastmilk. While it can take a several days, 2-3 days is more typical. With my first child my milk did not come in until 5 days, but in retrospect I wasn't nursing her enough. Not to say that is the case for all women whose milk comes in later, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me.

cono0507
05-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree to wait to buy the majority of your nursing bras. My milk came in by day 2 both times, but I was incredibly engorged and that lasted about a month. Once that settled down, I bought bras. For the interim, I had a couple Bravado bras (the ones that come in larger size ranges like S,M,L) to hold me over till then. I still use those Bravado bras to sleep in since now that I'm no longer engorged they aren't tight or anything but just keep the pads in.

Davids-Coco
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I agree to wait to buy the majority of your nursing bras. My milk came in by day 2 both times, but I was incredibly engorged and that lasted about a month. Once that settled down, I bought bras. For the interim, I had a couple Bravado bras (the ones that come in larger size ranges like S,M,L) to hold me over till then. I still use those Bravado bras to sleep in since now that I'm no longer engorged they aren't tight or anything but just keep the pads in.
This is my experience too. The original nursing bra is great for that time at the beginning and really stretch well during engorgement times. I still (21 months later) sleep in those and my bravado nursing tanks.

birdie75
05-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Get a couple of cheap ones from Target to get you by until you can get soemthing better. I got a couple of nursing tanks which I wear for bed ahead of time and 2 bras there. The bras are junk, totally unsupportive for my 40DD chest, but they were OK for the first week or so. I was able to get to a specialty store for a good fitting and good bras after about two weeks.