PDA

View Full Version : Bassinet or Changing station in Pack 'n' play?

luv2bmommy
05-23-2008, 05:14 PM
New mommy-to-be has yet another silly question. In a Pack 'N' Play that comes with a Bassinet feature could I use that also as a changing station? If not, do they make them to have both features? Also, in your experience, is it better a full size bassinet or half/portion of pack 'n' play? Thanks!!! And what playpen comes with a UV protection canope?

tnrnchick74
05-23-2008, 08:36 PM
The pack n play that I registered for/received has BOTH a changing table and bassinette feature.

GeekLady
05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't see why you couldn't use it as a changing station, as long as you acknowledge the bassinet sheet might get dirty.

I just cleaned half my bathroom counter off to use for diaper changes and sponge baths, when he gets too big, it's the floor for him. It should be very convenient - I can keep all the diaper supplies in the undersink cabinet, the toilet is nearby for dumping poo, and the laundry room opens into the bathroom for convenient diaper washing.

deannanb
05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
the older model I have has the bassinette feature and a removable changing table feature. very similar to this one
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2305579

I think the bassinette part is only half of pnp - but I don't remember - I need to get it out and get it ready for baby #3!

we also have a full size changing table that i preferred to the pack n play one - but the pnp one works.

I never put the pnp outside - so I can't help with uv protection.

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
We just put a fold up changing pad down on the bassinet and the bassinet did double duty. But, he outgrew the bassinet at 15lbs so we needed to come up with a new solution then. We got to about 4m though.

Beth

ellies mom
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
The one we had with DD1 had a changing table that we never once used and a half bassinet that we did use occasionally.

This time we bought the smaller pack n' play with the full bassinet and skipped the changing table. I can move it around easier and at 5 weeks I already use it more.

ETA- With DD1 we were in a one story so I just went to her room to do diaper changes. This time we are in a two story so the first week or so after I came come we would move the changing pad downstairs on the counter during the day to limit the amount of stairs I had to climb.

kijip
05-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I am way too tall to comfortably use the bassinet as a changer. We had one with both. I preferred the 1/2 or 3/4 bassinet insert to the full one...because I was storing clean diaper service diapers and the like under the bassinet and that allowed for easy access.

August Mom
05-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Both my babies hated the bassinette, so 3/4 was plenty for them, but full is probably nicer. However, the changing table is invaluable IMO. We use it as our downstairs changing table and it's used for 95%+ of all changes. You could use the bassinette for a changing area, but it would be really low. I really like the elevated changing table on the PNP. I have no idea about UV protection. We don't take ours outside.

zag95
05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I recommend a full bassinet- I got a Pack n Play with the full bassinet and a changer on it- I think it was the Pack N Play in Bermuda. It has been great to take places- the beach, over to my brother's house- and is a great place to keep my daughter safe when we are visiting or traveling. I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for. The bassinet feature only goes to 15 lbs before you have to drop it to the floor. On my PNP, the changer goes up to 25 lbs- At 6 ft tall, I really appreciated having the changer-especially when we travel! It is a worthwhile feature!

Good luck on your decision!

MontrealMum
05-24-2008, 07:48 PM
We have two pnps (don't ask) ... the older model has the full basinet and a lower changing "area" that we never used. It was way too low as Katie mentioned. We just used the elevated basinet, then lowered when he was too heavy. It's now used as his playpen in my office. Our 2nd pnp is a newer model and the changing table is elevated off the side on one end. It's much easier on the back, and has space for wipes, diapers, power etc. I probably wouldn't use it as my only changing area, but we use it as our travel pnp. It also came with a canopy and vibrator (which DS hated) - that can only be used with the basinet feature (so under 15lbs, IIRC) and some "music" and nature sounds. The changing table can be used to a higher weight. I think this is the one we have http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9957RIT&CategoryID=3 I don't know anything about UV protection, but there are a number of pnps like this one with a canopy that covers half of it.