PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this idea? (re:Backus family)

MommyAllison
05-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Ever since Samuel passed, a thought has been in my mind and isn't going away, so I thought I would post here and see if you all think it is a good idea, or a really bad one. I've been reading Samuel's updates for a couple years now, and I know Jen has posted many times about how badly they want to move out of their current home. DH and I love to watch Extreme Makeover, home edition, and it seems to me that the Backus family would be a great candidate for the show. Yesterday on the radio, we heard a commercial that they are looking for applicants for the show, it sounded like they would do the houses pretty soon (though that was just my impression). I don't know if now would be an awful time, or if they would even be interested. I also don't feel like I "know" them enough to suggest the possibility to them (of them applying for the show). So someone else would have to suggest it, if it was a good idea, which again, I am not sure? Just seems like they could have a beautiful new home, though I don't know if they'd want to live in the same location anyway. Thoughts? Please be gentle if this is a really bad idea :)

caheinz
05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
The idea has come up before (a year or more ago), and someone from here discussed it with Jen.

The family does not want to stay where they're at. If I remember right from before, one comment was that they were not in their "forever home".

So, my guess is that they wouldn't want this, not yet, and not on their current home.

MommyAllison
05-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Ah, ok, I didn't know it had been brought up before. Never mind then! Thanks for being gentle :)

lisams
05-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Every time I watch that show I think of the Backus family. They so deserve a huge break (and in my day dreaming of them getting this I day dream that they pay off all of their medical bills). I honestly don't know how Jen would feel about it, but I think about it too.

mama2g03
05-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Allison,

that was an incredibly thoughtful idea. It's crossed my mind before, too. I didn't know it was brought up before, but I did know they don't want to stay where they are. Too bad the show can't donate some property for a new house to be built on as well. Anyway, it was absolutely not a bad idea at all.

chlobo
05-25-2008, 07:05 AM
I had the same thought.

I think we should pitch to extreme makeover a new concept of moving the family. Why not?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Every time I see that show I wonder how on earth the people can afford the real estate taxes on the new home. I bet that a huge percentage end up having to leave the new home :( .

blisstwins
05-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I totally understand what you mean. Nothing can make up for losing Samuel, but after having gone through so much, with their heads held high, it would be great for them to get something that would make their day-to-day lives a little easier. Does the show give a new house or does it redo the old?

I did read what Jen wrote about having her current house redone once, and basically she said it has too many painful memories for her to think of stayog long-term and that they long for land. This family has affected me greatly too and I am so touched that there are others who feel the same way and who continue to go out of their way for others.

chlobo
05-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Hmm. I just remembered that Oprah did a makeover show. I wonder if she would be inteerested in something like the Bakus Family. Anyone know how she selects her families?

dr mom
05-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Every time I see that show I wonder how on earth the people can afford the real estate taxes on the new home. I bet that a huge percentage end up having to leave the new home :( .

They remodeled a home here in Raleigh a year or so back, expanding the square footage considerably and adding all kinds of luxury upgrades. Then, you guessed it, property taxes were re-assessed (occurs on a seven-year cycle) and theirs went through the roof. I don't know if they'll be able to keep their fancy new luxury home. Not to mention, the other homeowners on the street felt that the Extreme Makeover McMansion wasn't really in keeping with the historic feel of the neighborhood, and there were some bad feelings over that as well. Picture a street full of bungalows, and a McMansion towering over them all...

In spite of requests from local antique collectors and dealers, the Extreme Makeover producers refused to allow salvage & purchase of the bungalows heart-pine flooring, wood mouldings, or original windows. In a publicity stunt, cars smashed into the house to demolish it. Unfortunately for the show, the house was so solidly built that the house didn't collapse as intended - instead, they had to use a chainsaw to cut through the frame of the house, so that they could then film the cars "knocking it down."

Then they constructed a shoddily-built generic McMansion in its place, in the space of a week. Local contractors not involved with the project commented "We're replacing real wood and plaster with chip board and sheet rock," building a house from cheaper and less-durable materials than the bungalow that was razed.

Gotta say...I don't think Extreme Makeover is doing their homeowners any favors in the long run.

overcome
05-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Hmm. I just remembered that Oprah did a makeover show. I wonder if she would be inteerested in something like the Bakus Family. Anyone know how she selects her families?

I just watched this show and I think it would be a great option for the Backus family. Oprah is in charge and can do what she'd like (i.e. build a house in a different location rather than remodel their current house).

Here's a link to the 1st dream house Nate did
http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200802/tows_past_20080211.jhtml

Unfortunately, I can't find a link to nominate another family....Perhaps just an email to the Oprah show...

It is def. worth a try. I'd offer to nominate, but 1) I don't feel I know enough details about Samuel's story to really do it justice and 2) My writing skills would also not do justice to the Backus family journey.

Melanie
05-26-2008, 03:20 AM
I think about the same thing, too, but also how she really doesn't seem to want to stay. I don't know if it's just the phsyical house, or the location or both.

randomkid
05-26-2008, 03:10 PM
They remodeled a home here in Raleigh a year or so back, expanding the square footage considerably and adding all kinds of luxury upgrades. Then, you guessed it, property taxes were re-assessed (occurs on a seven-year cycle) and theirs went through the roof. I don't know if they'll be able to keep their fancy new luxury home. Not to mention, the other homeowners on the street felt that the Extreme Makeover McMansion wasn't really in keeping with the historic feel of the neighborhood, and there were some bad feelings over that as well. Picture a street full of bungalows, and a McMansion towering over them all...

In spite of requests from local antique collectors and dealers, the Extreme Makeover producers refused to allow salvage & purchase of the bungalows heart-pine flooring, wood mouldings, or original windows. In a publicity stunt, cars smashed into the house to demolish it. Unfortunately for the show, the house was so solidly built that the house didn't collapse as intended - instead, they had to use a chainsaw to cut through the frame of the house, so that they could then film the cars "knocking it down."

Then they constructed a shoddily-built generic McMansion in its place, in the space of a week. Local contractors not involved with the project commented "We're replacing real wood and plaster with chip board and sheet rock," building a house from cheaper and less-durable materials than the bungalow that was razed.

Gotta say...I don't think Extreme Makeover is doing their homeowners any favors in the long run.

I agree. Unfortunately, I think the show has gotten too much into the publicity and making the show more dramatic, than doing what is best for the family. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the show first started, it seems they used to actually save what they could of the original home and just do major renovations.

To the OP, I think it's an awesome idea, but I think it's clear that the family wants to move. I like the Oprah idea best. If not a new home, maybe she would pay off medical bills and provide something to give them a new start. I really don't think you have to know the family all that well. Just send a letter to the show and give a link to Jen's website - that tells the whole story and is so moving that I can't even finish reading her entries sometimes. When I read about the day Samuel died, I was in tears and felt like I was right there in the room with them. It was heart wrenching. Her words are much more meaningful than anything anyone here would ever be able to convey. So thoughtful of you!

Honestly, I think if more than one person wrote to Oprah's show, it would get more attention and would be more likely to be selected for something. This story has touched countless people through her website and through boards that I think there would be a lot of support for something wonderful to be done for this family.

mama2g03
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I think if more than one person wrote to Oprah's show, it would get more attention and would be more likely to be selected for something. This story has touched countless people through her website and through boards that I think there would be a lot of support for something wonderful to be done for this family.

I think you might be right about a group effort. I sent letters to Oprah and Ellen a year or two ago with a link to Samuel's site and I couldn't believe I never heard anything. How someone couldn't be moved by their story was unbelievable to me. I think I wrote to Ellen twice. Maybe like you said if more than one person wrote, it would get more attention. It makes me feel sad that if something does happen it is after Samuel is gone, but it would be wonderful to relieve Jen and Mark of the medical debt. I just have to wonder how they would feel about the media attention, being in the spotlight, etc. so soon after losing Samuel. That said, if a group effort is decided on, count me in for a letter. What does everyone think?