PDA

View Full Version : 5 pt harness over 40lbs - other than MA?

sophiesmom
05-25-2008, 09:01 PM
My 2 older kids are riding in parkways in DH's truck. We just got back from the beach (had to take the truck) and they were HORRIBLE in the seats... leaning forward, leaning sideways (DS had his head in the the baby's lap, she is in the center), DS had the shoulder strap behind his back at one point.. DD complained her pants were getting stuck on the seat and falling down when she scooted up, and she was too hot (Tiffany fabric).

Since the truck doesn't have a lot of room, any other 5 pt harness seats out there that are more on the narrow side? The baby (2 yrs) is in a Graco Ultra Booster in the center.

Thought of getting DD (almost 7) a booster for the van, but after today... maybe not! It's in the MA til completely outgrown! Wanted to look at my options for new seats for the truck (even the the parkways are new!)

Thanks!

Neatfreak
05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, I know that the Radian is definitely a contender as it's quite narrow in comparison to the MA and it harnesses to 65 lbs, but I can't help but think that a harnessed seat that transitions to a booster (such as the Frontier, Nautilus, or Apex) might be a more sensible investment given that your DD is seven years old. How old is your DS? And do you need to fit three seats across in the same row?

801kelle
05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I just bought the new Britax Frontier. It is a harnessed seat to 80lbs and 53 inches tall. Then it is a high back booster to 100lbs and 60 inches tall. We all love it..my DD and my DH and me!!!! My favorite thing about it the fact that when you use it in booster mode.. you can latch it to the seat and it is secured... so it doesn't move around when the child is in it or isn't in it.. My other favorite thing is it has a big height and weight limit for both seat options (harnessed and booster)!!!

sophiesmom
05-26-2008, 10:47 AM
DS is 5.. so the Frontier might be a good choice. Maybe I will get DD the Frontier for the van. Will have to get to a store to check them out.

For the truck we def need 3 in a row, but not for the van.

Thanks for the input!

801kelle
05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
if you need three in a row.. Radian is good choice because of how narrow they are!!!!

DrSally
05-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I just bought the new Britax Frontier. It is a harnessed seat to 80lbs and 53 inches tall. Then it is a high back booster to 100lbs and 60 inches tall. We all love it..my DD and my DH and me!!!! My favorite thing about it the fact that when you use it in booster mode.. you can latch it to the seat and it is secured... so it doesn't move around when the child is in it or isn't in it.. My other favorite thing is it has a big height and weight limit for both seat options (harnessed and booster)!!!

So, you can use latch on your Frontier up to 80 lbs?

KrisM
05-26-2008, 04:51 PM
So, you can use latch on your Frontier up to 80 lbs?

Most vehicles only allow LATCH until 40 or 48lbs, when using it as a harness. When it's in booster mode, it won't matter, since the seatbelt is holding the child in and the LATCH is just keeping the seat from sliding around. IN booster mode, until 80lbs should be fine.

DrSally
05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
I get it now, thanks for the clarification.

801kelle
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
yes as KrisM said.. I was referring to when in booster mode to keep it in place.