PDA

View Full Version : Replacing seats if in an accident

sophiesmom
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
What's the 'rule' for this? My friend was hit on the side in her Honda Oddysey. All 3 kids were in the car (thank God all fine) in an Evenflo convertible and 2 graco turboboosters.

She said the hospital said the seats do not need to be replaced unless they are damaged, but I thought any seat needs to be replaced if in an accident..

Which is right?

Thanks!

pastrygirl
05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Here (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm) are NHTSA's guidelines. Also check with the car seat manufacturer. Car insurance should cover it, though I've heard they sometimes balk at it. Your friend should keep pushing to get them to cover it. The seats still absorb the impact from the crash, even if they don't show damage.

lorinick
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Who is to say the seat is not damaged under the material. Do they check it? I have read on this site that some people were getting there sesat replaced in minor accidents when the seats were not even occupied during the car. Whats up with that? It's seems there is no clear answer to this question.

pastrygirl
05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
The seat being occupied or not doesn't factor into whether it needs replacing. If it needs replacing (according to the manufacturer or NHTSA), then it needs replacing even if it wasn't occupied during the crash.

Joolsplus2
05-28-2008, 07:04 PM
:yeahthat:

It's really up to the carseat manufacturer and how much faith they have in their product and how much risk they are willing to assume. Britax adheres to the NHTSA rules, but most other brands insist on replacement no matter how minor the crash (and insurance covers it... they don't want to assume the liability that a crashed seat will be just as safe the second time...)

babydogs3
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
We were just recently in a car accident where a school bus hit us. Thank God my dd was ok. The car seat looked fine but we replaced it anyway and the drivers insurance didn't give us any problems about reimbursing us.