PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to encourage 13 week DD to fall asleep earlier?

lunarcleo
05-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Our DD has fallen into a nighttime pattern that I'd like to try to shift, but I don't know if this is even reasonable at her age. During the day, she'll sometimes appear tired by her cries and actions and I am able to get her to nap without too much trouble (sometimes it takes a few minutes of swaying and using the pacifier, but it's not too bad).

Throughout the evening, she tends to be awake and active and wants to play and be held. As the evening progresses, she doesn't seem tired at all. She'll get hungry sometime between 10 and 11:30, and inevitably (after a full feeding) she will finally get sleepy at the breast - usually falling completely asleep. She'll be totally passed out and at this point I can put her down in the crib and be confident she'll stay for at least a couple hours.

By this point, especially with me now being back to work, I'm totally exhausted and am just happy that she's finally sleeping. I keep reading that around this age it's important to not keep letting a baby fall asleep with feeding because they can become dependent on food to sleep, but I don't know what else to do! She never acts tired earlier, and I'm so exhausted by the time she's finally asleep that I don't have the energy to try to wake her back up.

I would love for her to start being sleepy an hour or two earlier, so I could try to get some sleep myself sometime before 11 (or earlier). Maybe I'm asking too much of her at such a young age - being a first time mom, I just don't know what to expect. There's no problem with getting her to sleep during the night after subsequent feedings, just getting her to go down that first time.

There have been a couple times when I thought she seemed a bit tired earlier, so I brought her upstairs and changed her into a sleep outfit, but by the time I'm done with that, she's back fully alert and playful - even if I try singing to her and calming her down, if I try putting her in the crib she just squirms around and gets fussy after a few minutes, then she stays up until she gets hungry, as mentioned above. Music only seems to help if she truly is already sleepy, and her mobile is more of an engaging plaything.

If anyone has specific tips or can recommend a book that might be helpful, I would really appreciate it.

allihg17
05-26-2008, 08:11 PM
At that age, alot of babies still have later bedtimes like that. probably within the next month or 2 she will start falling asleep earlier. As for nursing to sleep, at this age it is still okay to do that. If you want to start letting her learn to fall asleep on her own, try putting her down after the feeding when she's drowsy but still awake. GL!

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Ditto the pp. I found that ds just naturally moved his bedtime earlier as he has gotten older. Maybe it helped that I learned his cues a little more but I think he just fell into a routine.

We actually restarted swaddling around 3m and kept going till about 4.5-5m and it really seemed to help. We also do the diaper and PJs at around 8:30 every night just in case he wants to fall asleep nursing w/ his next feeding. Sometimes he is down at 9 and others 10:30 (much better than the midnight he used to do!).

I nursed ds1 to sleep till one night at around 8m he didn't fall asleep. I tried every night for a few nights but it just didn't work anymore. Eventually we just plopped him in his crib instead of staying up and playing. Well, he would just play himself to sleep from that point on! So, all te gloom and doom about them never being able to sleep on their own didn't happen to us. Now, ds2 could be a totally dif't baby and we could have a problem on our hands in a few months. Personally I would rather deal with it then and just do whatever works now!

I like the Dr. Sears' sleep info. We don't co-sleep but I still find his tips and ideas valuable:
http://askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

GL!!

Beth