PDA

View Full Version : Isomil (soy formula) and estrogen

almostsane
05-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry this is kind of long, but I need advice. A ped just recommended that I change DS to Isomil. DS has really bad diaper rash, due to excessive pooping. He goes no less than 6 times a day and it is kind of runny. We are currently using Similac Advance with Iron. I had to see a ped in our complex, but not my regular ped. He recommended that we change to Isomil and if that didn't help, change to Similac Sensitivity. I have heard, from our previous ped, that Soy formula can cause problems in boys due to estrogen or estrogen-like compounds found in the formula. I searched the net for information and have found quite a few studies that suggest the formula could have long-term effects on puberty and growth, but I would like to hear what you think. I bought a can of the Isomil to use for now, but I am thinking of going straight to the sensitivity. Anyone want to offer up an opinion? I would love to hear from other pediatricians.

DrSally
05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I think it's a controversial topic. DS bf's, but I supplemented with a hypoallergenic formula for the first 2 months. Then, when he started drinking out of a cup, I had him drink soymilk due to cow's milk allergy. He also eats tofu and edamame. I would prefer not to have him have that much soy, but he loves his "milk" and he's not getting that much from me at this point. I thought it was more concern over potential hormonal impact. I hadn't heard anything about growth. Maybe someone else can chime in.

egoldber
05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm just curious why the ped doesn't recommend trying another brand of formula first before switching to soy? If I were you I'd try Enfamil, Good Start and the store brand milk based formulas to see if he tolerates one of those better.

icunurse
05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I have read about the concerns of using soy and hormone issues, but I can't comment as far as long term effects or anything. A lot of docs won't even try soy for digestive issues anymore, with all the other formulas on the market. If it is a milk protein intolerance, a good portion of infants who have that will also not tolerate soy. Our DD had a horrible battle with diarrhea - she came home at 3 weeks old on soy and within days started to have diarrhea. We worked our way through every formula until we got to Alimentum (which has even less amino acids than Nutramigen BTW, which she couldn't tolerate, either?). Literally within 2 days of starting Alimentum, she stopped pooping every 5 minutes (yes, we had squirts with every gas, every diaper, ALL day long....and bad diaper rash/skin breakdown). Most kids grow out of milk protein intolerance at some point and it seems as though, so far, DD might have done just that. We've been giving her more and more milk products and so far, so good. Which makes me happy because Alimentum is not cheap! I thought we'd have to do rice milk if we couldn't give her regular milk or soy.

almostsane
05-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. Last night, after about 5 bottles of Isomil, DS began spewing. He spit up what had to be the equivalent of two bottles. DH and I discussed it and decided to put him on Similac Sensitivity. I wound up at Wal-Mart last night at 10:00 buying formula. Little did I know, Sensitivity is the same thing as Similac Lactose Free. That is the formula that DS1 had to use for almost the same symptoms. I didn't realize that Similac had changed its packaging and names. Oh well, DS2 seems to be taking to the new formula very well.

DrSally
05-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Little did I know, Sensitivity is the same thing as Similac Lactose Free. That is the formula that DS1 had to use for almost the same symptoms. I didn't realize that Similac had changed its packaging and names. Oh well, DS2 seems to be taking to the new formula very well.

Yeah, If you want to move to a hydrolyzed nonsoy formula, you need to look for "hypoallergenic". I have a friend who had the same problem, thinking the Similac Sensitivity was hypoallergenic.

nov04
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
We've used Similac Sensitive (formerly "lactose-free") for both our kids due to severe gas. Our next trial would have been hypoallergenic. We avoided soy too but because I'm allergic and didn't want to risk a reaction. It's so frustrating to have to try so many types to find the right one. So glad you kept going.

I've noticed a real hesitance by ped.'s to admit that our babies could possibly be sensntive to lactose. I've been outright told I couldn't possibly be right because our dd's weren't Asian males and it was so rare. They automatically go right to soy. I would definitely prefer staying with a milk-based formula if at all possible.

almostsane
07-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Just thought I would give an update here. We went a few days after the initial visit and saw our "true" pediatrician. She immediately took DS off of the sensitivity (he was having severe gas/colic symptons) and put him back on regular Similac Advanced. Her solution? Add rice cereal to EVERY bottle. Just enough to make the poopie thicker and less often. It has worked like a charm. DS now goes 1-2 times a day and it is the perfect consistency. He had a growth spurt that we were a little concerned about, we feared he would be huge due to eating so much cereal, but things have evened (sp?) out now. He is in the 75% for weight and height, so we think things are great. He is now sleeping 6 solid hours at night and wakes for a feeding around 3-4 am!!!! WooHoo, mom gets some sleep now!:yay: