PDA

View Full Version : Can I please have a conversation

niccig
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Can I have a conversation with someone else without DS interupting and always wanting my attention, or do I need to wait until he his a teenager and won't want to talk to his mother???

Anytime I'm talking with someone else, even DH or today trying to talk to the doctor, DS constantly wants my attention. I had toys for DS to play with and had him engaged with them, but as soon as the nurse or doctor were talking to me, DS would stop what he is doing and keep saying "mama this..."mama that." It also happens anytime DH and I try to have a conversation.

I need ideas, strategies to work with DS on this. I have to be able to talk to someone when I have DS with me.

And next time, I'll get a babysitter for DS when I go to the doctor. It was extremely frustrating for all of us as the Dr. and receptionist were trying to work out the changes with my health insurance so I can keep seeing him for treatment.

ha98ed14
05-27-2008, 11:12 PM
No BTDT as DD doesn't talk yet, but wanted to send you hugs! I can get annoyed when friends' toddler/ preschoolers interrupt every 5 mins when I am talking to their mom, so I can only imagine when it is your own, you have even more mixed feelings.

Would stopping the first time and saying, "Mom is talking to So-and-So right now. When I am done, I will tell you and then you and I can talk." and then just ignore him if he interrupts more?

Wife_and_mommy
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm working with DD on this. A friend's dc's use it beautifully. Can't wait to get there.

Here are some instructions:
http://fun.familyeducation.com/toddler/behavior-modification/36892.html

mustangcobra44
05-28-2008, 10:50 AM
We tell our 2 1/2 year old something like "I'm talking with Mommy right now. We have to take turns talking and when I'm finished talking with Mommy then you and I can talk." Works pretty well but as usual with kids they seem to have short term memory about everything except where the biggest mud puddle is, where they saw you "hide" the candy, and that comment you made about your sister-in-law. :ROTFLMAO:

Piglet
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I think we should get your kid and my kid together and they can have a chat... that way maybe I will get a chance to chat with you while they are yammering away! Ugghhh! When did my 3 year old get so darn talkative? I can't talk to DH anymore. Everything DS2 wants to say has to be said and urgently, while mommy and daddy have to stop whatever we are doing to listen. Can you tell this is a sore subject for me?

I remember DS1 going through the exact same thing at this age. I am sure it is a developmental thing and like all other milestones, it comes with some negatives. The good news is that DS1 is a lot better now... so maybe in a few years we will get some peace and quiet ;)

Piglet
05-28-2008, 11:35 AM
they seem to have short term memory about everything except where the biggest mud puddle is, where they saw you "hide" the candy, and that comment you made about your sister-in-law. :ROTFLMAO:

LOL!! :ROTFLMAO:

niccig
05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some of them and see what works for us. I do think it's developmental, but I need something to try so I don't go stir crazy anytime someone else wants my attention.

Marina, good idea to get the kids together. DS has exploded verbally, it was really cute to watch him have a conversation with an elderly patient in the waiting room, but the cuteness rapidly decreased once the doctor needed my attention.

niccig
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Works pretty well but as usual with kids they seem to have short term memory about everything except where the biggest mud puddle is, where they saw you "hide" the candy, and that comment you made about your sister-in-law. :ROTFLMAO:

Isn't this the truth. DS will go to sleep with something on his mind, and those will be the first words out of his mouth the next morning.

saschalicks
06-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I taught DS1 the excuse me, however, saying excuse me 50 times until I answer was not what I had in mind. Now it's teaching him to wait until he's acknowledged...that's a whole other story.