PDA

View Full Version : Framing DADDY pics

LarsMal
05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
So last year I had NO clue what you ladies were talking about with DADDY pics! This year I think I want to try it out.

Once I have the pics, how do I frame them? Is there a frame matted with five different slots, or do you just buy one big frame and take out the matting, make it more of a collage?

I'm having a hard time with the mental image!

Thanks!

KCR4
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I got my frame at SuperTarget. I did only 3 photos though... D A D.

I haven't tried to upload a photo before - don't know if this will work, but here goes!

Karen

Tammy
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I noticed in another area someone said they got their frame at Kohls. It was like the pp, but had 5 or 6 slots. So, it spelled out DADDY and then had a picture in the last slot of their lo with their daddy.

tylersmama
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I got one at Linens n Things that had 5 openings. I think it was this (http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1358207&cp=1331609.1331975.2987333&parentPage=family) one.

Radosti
05-28-2008, 07:27 AM
The 6 slot one at Kohls is cheap and looks great. We put DADDY plus DH wiht DS pic in there. We have two. One that DH keeps at work on the wall and one that we present to him. He has them both hanging for a while at work, then keeps one letter a year in the first frame and replaces all the other photos with the new ones. Then he brings one frame home for next year. So, after 5 years, he'll have 2 years with DS1 and 3 years with DS1 and DS2.

pastrygirl
05-28-2008, 08:28 AM
I LOVE THESE!!!! I'm so glad I asked for clarification in that other thread, because this is something I would hate to have missed out on! Now I just need to find some letters...

o_mom
05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Bed Bath and Beyond had two different 5-opening frames that I think are $19.99 and $29.99. Not 100% on those prices. Anyway, they are really nice - the cheaper one is a single opening frame with a 5-opening mat. The more expensive one is a 5-opening frame. These hold a 4x6 (or 3.5x5?), so slightly bigger than some I have seen at Michaels, for example.

The letters I got at Michaels - White wood about 10" high. They also had some really cool paperboard ones at Joann that were 18" high that would be really cute.

ETA: I have also done a photo collage for "Grandma" where I did a panoramic size picture in photoshop with individual pics of the grandkids. That just goes in a panoramic frame. You could do the same thing with Daddy.

pastrygirl
05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I got the letters (at Michaels) and took the photos today. Now I just need to find a frame! I didn't like the ones at Michael's -- they were either for 3 photos or 6. I didn't see any for 5 photos. There's one online at Target that I might order.

pastrygirl
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I found an accordian frame for wallet-size photos today at Target. It has 5 slots, so it's perfect! They had it in black or silvertone. They also had a very large 5-slot wall-mountable frame for 4x6 photos, but it was much bigger than what I was looking for (lots of matted space around each photo).

doberbrat
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
check your camera sw, I have 2 different kinds of sw that turn multiple pics into 1 panorama one is canon's is called photostitch and the other one I have is panorama maker.

I had trouble using photostitch b/c I didnt know the 'focal lengths'

I assume you could use photoshop etc.

one thing that REALLY made it alot easier is to put the camera on a tripod and focus it. then put the kid in one spot and make them stay there. that makes the croping and splicing together MUCH easier.

you can then print it either as a panorama format and then buy a panorama frame (a little hard to find but bed bath & beyond & linens & things both had them) or take it to a ritz camera and explain to the tech what its supposed to look like and they resize it for you.

or you can get a 5 openign frame. Christmas Tree shops have them for <$4

last year, I had the pics printed onto Tshirts by a company called Printfection (it was SUPER cheap). I havent decided if I'm doing the same this year. but I'm leaning towards it.

joyful mommy
05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I also did the photostitch type thing (and added a border around it) a couple of years ago. I don't recall the actual sw I used (it might have just been MS Word), but it turned out great and DH loves it! He's past due for a new one and I need to find those letters and get them back out. Thanks to you all for this reminder! Things have been pretty hectic around here lately and I've been trying to figure out in odd moments what to do for this year's gift.

DH keeps the first one in his office at work and has gotten great comments on it there. :) He also mentioned quite awhile back that he needs an update.

kayte
05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I used the 5 opening frame from IKEA. It holds 5x7's. It's hanging my DH's office at home.

Tondi G
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I got my 5 opening frame from Bed Bath and Beyond! I remember they had 2 or 3 different options too... black or brushed steel etc.